Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ski Patrol thanks ....

Tried search, but failed .... what is protocol to thank ski patrol after bringing down family member - did not go into main ski patrol at base due to Covid concerns .... one patroller was involved top to bottom - thanks!

Beer and/or doughnuts and/or pizza (for instance) dropped off at the hq, and a sincere thank-you letter - with a description of the incident and names of the patroller(s) - to management.

hookers and blow
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

A 12-24 pack of beer, or chocolate is a great thank you. Always a simple thanks is most welcome. In the case of beer, the the qualitative vs quantitative is also a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Beer and/or doughnuts and/or pizza (for instance) dropped off at the hq, and a sincere thank-you letter - with a description of the incident and names of the patroller(s) - to management.
    Always a letter, and let management know!

I once rode the chair with someone carrying a full crockpot of cheesy grits & sausage for the patrol shack up top. Said he was gonna drop it off that morning, and pick it up at the end of the day.

I suspect hot food trump's cold beer on a cold day up there.

But like meadow skipper said, make sure to single out the helping patroller by name in a thank you letter/email to management.

^ Yeah, don’t take beer up to the patrol shack at top, drop it off at the base. Food - take it up if you can, otherwise hq is fine.

Ski Patrol thanks ....

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I once rode the chair with someone carrying a full crockpot of cheesy grits & sausage for the patrol shack up top. Said he was gonna drop it off that morning, and pick it up at the end of the day.

I suspect hot food trump's cold beer on a cold day up there.
    I have a big deck, just across from patrol HQ. I invite them over for for BBQ all the time.

I think they prefer the beer and tequila.

Maybe it’s my cooking?

What they all said up there. ^^

The beer and the treats are super appreciated, hard liquor works too, often getting squirrelled away for the year end blow out.

We had one guy who would somehow always find us at the mid mountain lodge when he was on his annual vacation and buy lunch.

The hand drawn cards from the kids are pretty awesome too.

A note to the patrol director is always good to add—often read in part at morning meetings to remind folks that people do appreciate it.

Beer and/or whiskey to patrol hq.

As nice as warm food is, no go to accept it during covid.

I got pretty messed up in JH about six years ago and they we appreciative of the beer I dropped off after I healed up,

I was bad hurt 2 winters ago at Squaw. In the spring I visited the patrol HQ and was able to talk to a couple of the guys who got me down. I found out that they have a regular meeting with docs at Renown Hospital in Reno to discuss big cases and they knew how things turned out for me. The guys I talked to seemed appreciative that I came by and were happy to see me upright. I didn't get the feeling that alcohol or treats were required. On a side note--there are a fair number of alcoholics and recovering alcoholics in the professional outdoor recreation world. I once offered a bootfitter beer and was told chocolate treats were preferred. A gift of alcohol may not always be appreciated.

I always appreciated beer. But a foot rub and tug job is the best thanks I ever got when I was patrolling.

Man, I really don't want to give a patroller a tug job.

at least wait til the collarbone heals...

& what about the ladies?
    maybe an over-the-skipants HJ?

I agree with the above. This year probably save the home cooked food. I always appreciated the specific call out letters, liquor, and cash. Remember most pratollers are one step above minimum wage and tasked with using explosives and saving lives.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Man, I really don't want to give a patroller a tug job.
    Wear your mirrored lens goggles so you feel less awkward about prolonged eye contact during the deed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was bad hurt 2 winters ago at Squaw. In the spring I visited the patrol HQ and was able to talk to a couple of the guys who got me down. I found out that they have a regular meeting with docs at Renown Hospital in Reno to discuss big cases and they knew how things turned out for me. The guys I talked to seemed appreciative that I came by and were happy to see me upright. I didn't get the feeling that alcohol or treats were required. On a side note--there are a fair number of alcoholics and recovering alcoholics in the professional outdoor recreation world. I once offered a bootfitter beer and was told chocolate treats were preferred. A gift of alcohol may not always be appreciated.
    ^ It’s the thought that counts. And food can be problematic - vegans, gluten-free, sugar-free, lactose-intolerant, etc. The upside is the folks that partake can harangue the people that pass it up. But everyone likes a letter to management singing their praises...or cash.

Where I worked, we almost always checked up on the serious cases, and had periodic case review meetings where our medical director brought imagery and records from the ER/hospital and we’d discuss them. Sometimes we’d visit them in the hospital when we went by there to pick up the patrol gear like vac-u-mats, backboards, etc.

I was always glad to visit with a recovered patient - my favorite was a (way) open tib-fib boot top fx. She was so tough, the only sound she made during assessment, splinting, packaging, long sled transport, aid room exposure, IV, and resplinting was to suck in air through her teeth. Totally impressed me, I’d have been screaming like a two year old. She was a Swiss lady, and showed up the season after next as an instructor. Tough mofo.

The area had a death last weekend, an employee hit a tree during a run on break. I was glad to have missed that, those were the worst. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Wear your mirrored lens goggles so you feel less awkward about prolonged eye contact during the deed.
    Good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    And what about small talk?

"So when do you think the Chamonix Chutes will open this season? They look real loaded, huh?"

I thought the small talk I had with my doc as he did my vasectomy was as awkward as it gets. Maybe not.

I thought the small talk I had with my doc as he did my vasectomy was as awkward as it gets. Maybe not.
    You haven’t had a digital prostate check yet?

Christ, I don't wanna know what that is right now.

Christ, I don't wanna know what that is right now.
    Doc’s finger, your asshole. I think you get the picture. Think of me when it happens...and it will happen.

They don't have interns for that work? And how much time do you have for small talk when that happens though?

When you said 'digitally' I thought that was a probe with a sensor not a digit attached to a hand attached to a doctor.

Ok, sorry for the thread drift.

When you said 'digitally'
    just spread the cheeks for the laptop cam