Thread: Arva Evo5

Arva Evo5

Anyone have any experience with the Evo5? I like the small size. And price.

This is a little suspect from Beacon Review. "It is relatively easy to bump the sliding switch and inadvertently change from Off to Send (which might happen in your backpack or suitcase when you are traveling to your starting point), or more significantly, to change from Search to Send during a rescue (which could result in other rescuers receiving your signal rather than the victim's)."

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    This is a little suspect from Beacon Review. "It is relatively easy to bump the sliding switch and inadvertently change from Off to Send (which might happen in your backpack or suitcase when you are traveling to your starting point), or more significantly, to change from Search to Send during a rescue (which could result in other rescuers receiving your signal rather than the victim's)."
    I read that, but can’t really see where either scenario would be that bad. If there was an active search going on, I doubt I’d just inadvertently pop it into “send”. I suppose that it turning on and burning up the battery is a concern, but still seems unlikely.

I am just guessing/spitballing, but If it can go from Off to Send with a bump, it probably can go from Send to Off or Send to Search also. The auto-revert takes 8 minutes. After the Pieps recall, it's hard not to imagine the worst like it's bumped out of send in a slide and then you are buried for 8 minutes until in switches back to send.

I got one the middle of last season.

It is super small, light, and runs on just one battery. Fitting it in your pocket is a cinch.

It turns from Off to Send accidentally all the time. I put it in my pocket when I leave the house and most of the time it is on when I get to the trailhead. And often when I turn it off back at the truck, put it in my pocket, and drive home, it's on when I get there.

The reverse has never happened. It takes a solid push of the button to switch from Send to Off, and then you have a few seconds to push another button to complete the turn off process.

Have only done test searches with it but thought it performed as well as anything else I've ever used, with added points for fitting in your hand so easily.

I am just guessing/spitballing, but If it can go from Off to Send with a bump, it probably can go from Send to Off or Send to Search also. The auto-revert takes 8 minutes. After the Pieps recall, it's hard not to imagine the worst like it's bumped out of send in a slide and then you are buried for 8 minutes until in switches back to send.
    As the co-author of that review, and a current owner of that model, I can confirm the beacon's potential to inadvertently switch into Send, but *NOT* the opposite.
    In other words, it's the exact contrast with the problem for the middle generation of the Pieps switches.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    I got one the middle of last season.

It is super small, light, and runs on just one battery. Fitting it in your pocket is a cinch.

It turns from Off to Send accidentally all the time. I put it in my pocket when I leave the house and most of the time it is on when I get to the trailhead. And often when I turn it off back at the truck, put it in my pocket, and drive home, it's on when I get there.

The reverse has never happened. It takes a solid push of the button to switch from Send to Off, and then you have a few seconds to push another button to complete the turn off process.

Have only done test searches with it but thought it performed as well as anything else I've ever used, with added points for fitting in your hand so easily.
    Agreed with all points here.
    (Although personally I have not had it switch from Off to Send ... but that might be only because I intentionally turn it to Send as soon as I put it in my pocket first thing in the morning.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series