Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    the way i understand it CAST mods the toe only not the heel, so the pin instal are for the ski up ONLY and you have to go with the complete CAST system ( which is not bad ) but folks seem to be talking about just the boot ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pretty Solid: Lange XT3, Fischer Ranger, Dalbello Lupo HD/Factory, Cochise 130, Nordica Strider, Hoji Free
    Unknown: Salomon Shift (seem promising)
    Stay away from: Hawx XTD (new liner helps, but still folds easily), K2 mindbender (pure garbage), Head Kore.

At the end of the day though I will keep my RS130s for days I know I'm not touring or am OK swapping boots.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the way i understand it CAST mods the toe only not the heel, so the pin instal are for the ski up ONLY and you have to go with the complete CAST system ( which is not bad ) but folks seem to be talking about just the boot ?
    Yeah, cast is toe pin holes only, and I don't believe they're rated to be skied on.

So they work with the Cast binding setup, and they'd work with other bindings that only use the pins for the up (Shift, Duke PT).

I've got the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130, Lange XT3 130 LV, Tecnica Zero G Tour Pro, and Roxa R3 in my collection of crossover boots, and they're all pretty good at my size (5'8" 175 during COVID) but they still don't compare to my RS 130 when I really want to maximize control at speed.

Narrow foot with high instep points toward Hawx Ultra XTD - Roxa R3, Lange XT3 LV and ZGTP are not far behind, but there are major differences in stance and flex pattern. Part of the control issue with the MTN Lab/S Lab MTN is almost certainly the very roomy fit around the ankle and heel, plus the 120 flex rating is accurate IMO and the others are somewhat stiffer. If you just want stiff and a three-piece, the Lupo Pro HD qualifies (and it's a 98mm last) but it weighs a ton. Shift Pro 130 is quite stiff, but not low volume by any stretch of the imagination. Cochise 130 is solid, but more an "average" volume fit than low volume.

Yeah that's right. Shift or Duke PT works too. But it's pins in the toe only, and CAST says you're not supposed to ski down on the toe pins (i.e. no Kingpin or Tecton).

My kid (21yr old) has the rossi alltrack pro 130 for his one boot quiver and loves it inbounds and out. I haven't tried it, but he's very aggressive and seems to work well for him. Obviously not the best range of motion touring, but the walk mechanism seems solid and hasn't had any issues in 1.5 seasons.

yeah so the Op hasnt let it slip what the rest of his setup is ?

I use the Vulcan inbounds quite a bit depending on what ski I want to use but that boot is getting old, i looked at the Hoji it only goes small enough for me in the 110, it would probably work, the Hoji Free seems to fit everyone, it is stiff and everyone likes it, the one lever thing is awesume, if I was buying now I would probably go Hoji Free, after the lame duck beast & Khion Dynafit has probably hit it out the park with Hoji ... finally
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yeah so the Op hasnt let it slip what the rest of his setup is ?
    Resort:
    191 Jeffery 108 with attack AT demo binders
    192 Protest with Salomon Warden demo binders
    Looking at adding billy goat or Jeff 116

Backcountry/side country:
    193 MVP with Shifts

Located in northern Idaho so denser snow.

BTW lots of good info in this thread. Thanks everyone

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Is like to try the Hoji Free. But that’s really light for a mainly resort boot.

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    I use the Lupo 130s with a powerwrap for inbounds. Works really well for me, I'm only 160lbs but pretty/very agressive inbounds.
    Is this the lupo air 130?
    If so, how does it ski?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Is this the lupo air 130?
    If so, how does it ski?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Curious to hear an opinion on the Lupo Air vs the 130C/Pro HD if anyone has ridden it. I have a hard time believing you can get a true 130 flex out of a “three-piece” boot that’s missing the third piece.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Curious to hear an opinion on the Lupo Air vs the 130C/Pro HD if anyone has ridden it. I have a hard time believing you can get a true 130 flex out of a “three-piece” boot that’s missing the third piece.
    If nothing else, Lupo Air is Grilamid. 130C is Grilamid. Pro HD is PU.

Personally, I've never found a Grilamid boot that even comes close to offering the performance of a PU boot. It's possible to make a stiff Grilamid boot, but they flex different and they don't have the dampness of a PU boot. For chopped up resort charging, I'd rather have a soft-ish PU boot over a stiff Grilamid boot any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If nothing else, Lupo Air is Grilamid. 130C is Grilamid. Pro HD is PU.

Personally, I've never found a Grilamid boot that even comes close to offering the performance of a PU boot. It's possible to make a stiff Grilamid boot, but they flex different and they don't have the dampness of a PU boot. For chopped up resort charging, I'd rather have a soft-ish PU boot over a stiff Grilamid boot any day of the week.
    That's one of the reasons I appreciate a three-piece boot, especially in this category. The tongues on all of those boots are still PU - only the lower shells are Grilamid. With the tongue controlling most of the flex, you're not relying on the deformation of the lower shell like you are on an overlap boot. Having been on PU boots my whole life before getting my 130Cs, I haven't noticed any difference in damping or ride quality.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Maestrale XT?
    Big Fan of the Maestrale XTs for my inbound and bc boot. Have roughly 100 days on them so far with zero issues. Running them with a set of Intuition Tour Wraps. Skis are Elan RipStix 106 w/ Wardens and Bent Chet's and Backland 117s both with Shifts. Had/Have Dalbello Lupo AXs that I originally got for more of my resort/sidecountry boot but the XTs ski better, stiffer and more 'lively' and I also prefer the Forward lean of the XTs - Lupos are way too upright for me

For your consideration:

Atomic Hawx 130.

i've got a narrow foot, skinny calves, aggressive skier (getting less so) and have gone through Scarpa, Salomon, and MTN Lab boots over the past decade. Atomic hands down best boot for my foot i've had. Touring is above avearge- wish i had a bit more but did just fine for 5,000 vert days i put it through last year. Skis pretty well on-piste - best i've tried. i don't think its a true 130, but nothing is anymore. The lock down mode seems strong and resistant to wear. i'm just now thinking about a new liner. i've been skiing stock and in the past, nothing but a intuition liner did the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Big Fan of the Maestrale XTs for my inbound and bc boot. Have roughly 100 days on them so far with zero issues. Running them with a set of Intuition Tour Wraps. Skis are Elan RipStix 106 w/ Wardens and Bent Chet's and Backland 117s both with Shifts. Had/Have Dalbello Lupo AXs that I originally got for more of my resort/sidecountry boot but the XTs ski better, stiffer and more 'lively' and I also prefer the Forward lean of the XTs - Lupos are way too upright for me
    Rave reviews on both the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130 Tech GW (jebus Atomic get your shit together on your product names) and the Scarpa Maestrale series from the guys over at Blister Review. A word to the wise on the Maestrales, though - they use a 101mm last that feels cavernous to someone like myself, and likely the OP, with a low-width, low-volume foot and ankle.

Personally I really like the upright stance of the Lupos (having ridden Kryptons and Full Tilts in years past.) Certainly to each their own, but I feel like it allows you more freedom of choice in riding stance whereas a heavy lean pretty much locks you into an aggressive, forward stance all of the time...plus forward lean sucks riding and landing switch.

^^^ Scarpa last figures are all over the place. I have rs 130 and they have a significantly smaller toe box than 94 last Dobermans plug boots that are me go to alpine boot for the last decade. Maestrales are huge fit and same stated last.

I had some Maestrales that absolutely killed my instep.
    Flexons/ FT classics fit, but I wanted tech inserts and gambled on a pair of Roxa R3 TIs.

They are stiff and fit perfectly. Happy camper here.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Me: 6'3, 205lbs, aggressive skier, 10-15' drops on soft snow days, no park ... Looking for a super burly, supportive boot that is pin capable. Don't care about weight, ROM or any of that uphill stuff, all preferences towards resort skiing, just capable of the occasional side country. My foot is narrow with a high instep and lower volume and a narrower calf
    I'm on Ghost 130s with tech soles for resort and short tours and have a similar foot. Try to find some of these, even well-used and add new liners. Anything else is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I have an xt3. It falls short. None will work. They will all feel like a compromise. Had a Cochise. Same as the xt3. They are all close. But still not the same.
    This post should have ended the thread. Heavy, stiff, dedicated alpine boots for the resort, and AT boots for when you aren't riding lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Seems like they dropped it from their line up but the Salomon X-Pro had swappable soles compatible with their pin soles. It's what I use at the resort and occasional forays out of bounds. 0° of touring ROM, but it does side-country just fine. The rest of the time - it's a full on resort boot.
    X2 on this. The old Salomon Ghost 130 is also compatible with their tech sole for a 100% resort boot with pin compatibility.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    This post should have ended the thread. Heavy, stiff, dedicated alpine boots for the resort, and AT boots for when you aren't riding lifts.
    After talking with a couple boot fitters and hearing people on here say it, this is the route I'm going to go. Lots of good info in here tho so hopefully someone looking for a one boot to do it all finds it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    X2 on this. The old Salomon Ghost 130 is also compatible with their tech sole for a 100% resort boot with pin compatibility.
    I did a search and didn't see any pics that had pin compatibility. Am I missing something?

Would be awesome if this existed and didn't have to spend an additional $200 to have CAST do it. Too bad not more resort boots have pin compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    I currently have Salomon S/Lab MTN boots which worked great as a burlier touring boot and the occasional resort day. I was thinking of picking up a resort boot late last year but didn't really know what I wanted or had decided if it was necessary. After 10 resort days this year I've found it's necessary. Boot just keep folding and is lacking support. So with that being said, before I walk into a boot fitter I've got some questions I'm hoping the collective can help me out with.

I would like for this boot to be pin binding capable for side country but how much do I lose going from a pure resort boot with no walk mode to a resort boot that is pin capable? Me: 6'3, 205lbs, aggressive skier, 10-15' drops on soft snow days, no park

Any boots I should keep an eye out for? Looking for a super burly, supportive boot that is pin capable. Don't care about weight, ROM or any of that uphill stuff, all preferences towards resort skiing, just capable of the occasional side country. My foot is narrow with a high instep and lower volume and a narrower calf

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    another vote for Cochise.
    If OP needs 28.5 I just posted a mint pair after downsizing one shell size.
    I currently have them paired with a Zero G Pro, which I may end up downsizing too.

Used to have Freedom RS, which was a great 1-boot solution.

How does the Cochise compare to the XT3 from a skiing perspective? The Cochise is a decent bit heavier, but I've only heard good things about the XT3.