Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stiff Pin Capable Resort Boot

I currently have Salomon S/Lab MTN boots which worked great as a burlier touring boot and the occasional resort day. I was thinking of picking up a resort boot late last year but didn't really know what I wanted or had decided if it was necessary. After 10 resort days this year I've found it's necessary. Boot just keep folding and is lacking support. So with that being said, before I walk into a boot fitter I've got some questions I'm hoping the collective can help me out with.

I would like for this boot to be pin binding capable for side country but how much do I lose going from a pure resort boot with no walk mode to a resort boot that is pin capable? Me: 6'3, 205lbs, aggressive skier, 10-15' drops on soft snow days, no park

Any boots I should keep an eye out for? Looking for a super burly, supportive boot that is pin capable. Don't care about weight, ROM or any of that uphill stuff, all preferences towards resort skiing, just capable of the occasional side country. My foot is narrow with a high instep and lower volume and a narrower calf

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Cochise 130.

I use the Lupo 130s with a powerwrap for inbounds. Works really well for me, I'm only 160lbs but pretty/very agressive inbounds.

Got the Mtn Lab and a Lupo 130C, 130C a way stiffer boot both on the forward flex, and laterally as well.

Unless I am doing a fast tour, or a longer tour 3000' plus day, I would choose the Lupo even for touring.

Also have a pair of Lange XT Free boots, but havent skied on them yet. The preliminary, walk around the basement test, has shown that they're as stiff as the Lupos, with only slightly less functionality.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Got the Mtn Lab and a Lupo 130C, 130C a way stiffer boot both on the forward flex, and laterally as well.

Unless I am doing a fast tour, or a longer tour 3000' plus day, I would choose the Lupo even for touring.

Also have a pair of Lange XT Free boots, but havent skied on them yet. The preliminary, walk around the basement test, has shown that they're as stiff as the Lupos, with only slightly less functionality.
    Looks like the lupo is a 3 piece, do you notice that feels much different from a overlap? I've tried on some 3 piece boots but never skied one and am hesitant to invest $600 in something I've never tried.

What functionality does the XT free lose over the Lupo 130c that you're talking about?

Sounds like the Mindbender 130 should be on your list. Basically the Recon with the spine replaced with a walk-mode

Lange XT3?

If you like the mtn lab for touring just buy a resort boot. I slightly understand the want of 1 boot to do it all. But that just means compromising on touring and compromising on skiing inbounds. Get a dedicated alpine boot.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    If you like the mtn lab for touring just buy a resort boot. I slightly understand the want of 1 boot to do it all. But that just means compromising on touring and compromising on skiing inbounds. Get a dedicated alpine boot.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Yeah, and I'm conflicted here because I do understand you comprise some but it's just a pain to have to switch boots to do side country.

But that's why I'm asking, how much do people think they're losing with a beefy touring boot vs a true resort boot? 10%?

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Looks like the lupo is a 3 piece, do you notice that feels much different from a overlap? I've tried on some 3 piece boots but never skied one and am hesitant to invest $600 in something I've never tried.

What functionality does the XT free lose over the Lupo 130c that you're talking about?

The MTN Lab is more of a 2.5 piece boot, as it does have a tongue piece that's riveted in place that behaves in a similar way to a regular 3-piece design. I have felt that 3 piece boots tend to be more progressive, meaning they will ramp in in their force towards the end of their flex. I have noticed this slightly in the A-B flexing between the Lange and Dalbello, where the Lange seems to "bottom out" more quickly than the Lupo.

In terms of other functionality loss on the Lange; the Lupo has that removable tongue, which lightens the system up, and increases the ROM quite a bit. The shell material also seems to be more durable, as the Lange's i bought are only a year old, but they're beat, therefore if purchasing new - I'd go with the Lupo just on that fact alone. However, any of the other suggestions: Lupo, Cochise, Bender, Lange - are all going to be stellar in bounds boots with tech fittings.

Lastly - I also added a third buckle on my MTN Labs, and it does help out a tad on the overall performance of the boot. However, the Lupo is still more stout, but if you're skiing the resort on a fairly progressive/upright ski, you dont need to have that level of stiffness all the time - as you're typically skiing more upright when compared to a more traditional / ski tour mount. I would estimate, I can ski the MTN Labs at 80-90% of what I could do on the Lupos.

Hope this helps.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I am same weight and went from a mtn lab to ultra hawx 130 xtd 3 years ago, first with stock liner then a new shell in 2019 and with a intuition pro tongue as my do it all boot.

I'll ski the liner for another season and look to reassess afterwards but I've been in everything from deep pow to steep puckering glacial base camp missions.

No noticeable penalty on the touring except for if I wanted to pump out 2000m days on a week long hut trip, but for that I'd throw in the stock liners.

Not a bad system in my opinion...

Ski BC coastal and interior.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I’m quite happy with my Lupo Pro HDs for that use case. I also have super light touring boots, and burly alpine boots, but the Lupos sit in a nice spot between the others.

I actually found the stock tongue to be way too stiff for me at 160lbs, but that’s probably a good sign for someone at your weight. Obviously, they also have to fit, but they’re one of the better options on the downhill performance leaning end of the crossover spectrum.

Cons: heavy as fuck, and a few extra steps per transition because of the removable tongue.

If you can find some and they fit the Scarpa Freedom RS is another good option. Stiffness is on par with my x max 130's and the walk mode is actually very impressive. The fit is also much lower volume than the 101mm last implies.

Seems like they dropped it from their line up but the Salomon X-Pro had swappable soles compatible with their pin soles. It's what I use at the resort and occasional forays out of bounds. 0° of touring ROM, but it does side-country just fine. The rest of the time - it's a full on resort boot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Cochise 130.
    Don't need to overthink it. Cochise 130 kills it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Get CAST to put pins in your alpine boot. Why compromise if you have several boots anyway?

I have an xt3. It falls short. None will work. They will all feel like a compromise. Had a Cochise. Same as the xt3. They are all close. But still not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    Don't need to overthink it. Cochise 130 kills it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yup. I’m heavier dude and charge the shit out of this boot on heavy stiff skis with no issues. I also have a 130 flex Alpine boot so the cochise doesn’t see a ton of days.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Lange XT3?

^^ This. I just took mine out for the first times over the weekend. Skied half-day on Friday, resort in the morning and side country in the afternoon on Saturday, and all day resort Sunday. I really like them. I have the 130 which is adequately stiff for me (available in 140 if you want stiffer) and fit me well with 100 last. This is the first boot I've had in awhile that I put on out of the box and skied without any real pressure points. They actually felt better the longer I wore them as the flow molded around my feet. No punching required so far as I can tell, first time in a long time. They are snug but not painful and touring in them was nice.

Roxa R# 130 TI.
    Fits a medium high instep, lots of adjustments, great heel cup hold, excellent in bounds with tech inserts. Incredibly light.
    Innovative use of velcro on the top buckle makes for precise stiffness adjustments as well as 2 other shell settings.
    Fit me right out of the box.

Limited rearward flex when touring is the only drawback. Did a week of touring on them last year.

I'm very happy with them.

My son skied them a few runs and loved them, so I got him a pair. He loves his as well, no adjustments necessary, fit him right out of the box.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Has anyone tried the Maestrale XT?
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Lange XT3?
    Another vote for the XT3 in 130 flex. I decided to go to a 2-boot quiver coming from the tecnica ZeroG. It's a 400g weight penalty and less ROM but stiffer, more progressive and, fwiw, comfy-er. Feels much more precise and handles driving a bigger ski better, probably a function of the extra mass.

I'll second the Dalbello Lupo. I'm a huge fan of the feel and ease of use of three-piece boots, and I've been rocking the 130Cs as my only boot - resort and backcountry - for the past three seasons. Especially considering your described foot shape, the relatively narrow last of the 130C or Pro HD (same boot, burlier lower shell) will work great.

Note: the lower price options in the Lupo series (Lupo AX HD, AX 120, AX 90) use a different, wider last for the lower shell. YMMV, but I doubt those shells will fit a low-volume rider very well.

I have a few days in on the new Shift Pro 130 and like them a lot. I am an inch shorter and 30 pounds lighter , but an aggressive skier and the 130 flex is pretty on point. Could always sway out for new strap if not enough for you .

I also have a narrow foot and there is definitely some heel play for me , but that was even the case in my previous LV boots

The problem you will have is that, if you want a resort boot that skis like a no-compromise alpine boot, then you need something that fits really well. There are very few options for boots with a tech toe that ski like a proper alpine boot (there's the Lupo, the Cochise, and maybe 1 or 2 others), but if those boots don't fit you, you're kinda out of luck in terms of just buying something off the shelf that'll work.

I went through this process myself. I've owned both the Cochise and the Lupo. Neither ultimately worked for me, purely because I couldn't get them to fit like a proper alpine boot. If one of those boots fits you, then you're in luck. Otherwise, just go with the sure thing and send your boots that you know and love to Cast.