Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    There's really no place in this thread for a baseless accusation about drug-induced impairment being responsible.

A lot of people are more principled than you when it comes to saving intoxicants for AFTER they've finished their ski days. Touring and impaired judgement don't mix. Leave that shit at home. The beers don't get cracked until the truck is unloaded, the gear is put away, and I'm out of my ski clothes.
    I don't give a shit what you think about it. People still do it all the time. And it seems like this may not have been a day touring, but a day spent with the family where he then decide to go for a short tour. It wasn't an accusation unless you think there is something sinful about having beers with your family. It's not meant to defame him. By all accounts he seems like an awesome selfless character that inexplicably made a very poor decision.

And by your standards I could never have any beer at all. Everything except the ski pants stays in the car, 12 months a year. The boots come out when I buy new boots.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've sold more full backcountry set ups to older, experienced (self admittedly in-bounds) skiers this season than any other demographic.

I believe, this group is at a particularly elevated risk this season. They are approaching retirement age (aka lots of extra time), well-funded, and have the desire to avoid the COVID crowds in the resort. My dad is one of the these folks. I've had to talk him out of going solo touring on, "terrain he skied a hundred times when berthoud was a ski resort."

I just try my best to remind folks that education the the best way to avoid avalanches and to stay safe out there.

RIP Darek Krol. Vibes to all who knew him.
    This is spot on and super scary. This combined with the most dangerous snowpack in a decade is gonna make for too many similar incidents this season. Gotta hope that this string of 4 avy deaths in 9 days gets some people's attention to scale it back, but I also think this info doesn't really get through to those most likely to put themselves in this kinda situation. Kinda like everything else, so many of us live in bubbles of it won't happen to me and confirmation bias. Its kinda the attitude of.... "of course its stupid and dangerous for others to text and drive, but I'm such an amazingly talented driver, I'm the only one on the planet who can safely pull it off, so it's ok when I do it."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130565280_10158905633052710_5833227935027867505_o.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	275.3 KB 
ID:	355703
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

^^^^ Yep

Colorado early season pits not infrequently collapse before any taps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

That's your guys' "snowpack"?

Yep. Pack is a misnomer this year.