Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    What was his level of experience and what source do you have for your answer? Honest question. I've heard he was an accomplished climber from Boulder.

https://www.facebook.com/darek.krol.568

He appears to have been an experienced skier, climber, ice climber, etc. Definitely someone who owns gear and should have known what he was getting into.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

a momentary lapse of reason
    Name:  lapse.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  89.6 KB
    picked up a hitcher heading from WP to LL on a storm chase. Nice local guy, a carpenter on a dawn patrol before work. If it's the chute I'm thinking of it's prominent low lying fruit easily accessed by car shuttle. Tagged along on his second run. It was a sweet run. A hasty pit looked good. Got a release of the over night snow which did not propagate with a ski cut at the top. There are so many sweet looking chutes and faces wherever your home zone is that call out. Be vigilant follow protocol don't let low lying fruit lure you into delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Name:  lapse.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  89.6 KB
    Left to right, who?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Wright/Gilmour/Mason. No Waters cause he is a bitter old fuck. You know, the PF version of Benny.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What was his level of experience and what source do you have for your answer? Honest question. I've heard he was an accomplished climber from Boulder.
    as I already noted, I retracted my first statement and said that I am not sure about him being an experienced skier, I may have misunderstood what I saw on FB. I saw him described by a very experienced skier in a post about skiing as "one of Boulder's finest", but realize that I could have misinterpreted that and it might not mean anything related to his skiing. Still, a 57 year old guy who has lived in Colorado for what appears to be a long time, and skis, would be hard pressed to know nothing about avalanches. But that doesn't mean he was a very experienced backcountry skier, which is why I backed off my first statement.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Final report is up. https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=766&accfm=inv

Super, super weak snow. Significant traumatic injuries. RIP.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/3...adliest-month/

This says he is an experienced skier, but not an experienced backcountry skier. So just the kind of accident people have been worried about this year.

I edited my posts in this thread to note that my earlier description of him as supposedly experienced were incorrect.
    Last edited by Danno; 12-30-2020 at 09:55 PM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    https://www.denverpost.com/2020/12/3...adliest-month/

This says he is an experienced skier, but not an experienced backcountry skier. So just the kind of accident people have been worried about this year.

I edited my posts in this thread to note that my earlier description of him as supposedly experienced were incorrect.
    Couldn't read because paywall but....
    Then what does it take to be experienced? On his FB page there are numerous pictures of him booting up couloirs and skinning/skiing in the backcountry. He's been doing it for years. Ice climbers also have to be aware of avalanche risk.

For instance, I know anyone off the street can buy an airbag, but it would be unusual.
    Name:  89579369_10222027393942262_5607408112228106240_n.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  47.2 KB

Damn. Seems like a righteous fellow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Couldn't read because paywall but....
    Then what does it take to be experienced? On his FB page there are numerous pictures of him booting up couloirs and skinning/skiing in the backcountry. He's been doing it for years. Ice climbers also have to be aware of avalanche risk.

For instance, I know anyone off the street can buy an airbag, but it would be unusual.
    Name:  89579369_10222027393942262_5607408112228106240_n.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  47.2 KB
    I only know what the article said (you can get around the paywall if needed). Relevant snippets:

His death offers a cautionary tale: While an expert skier, Krol was far less experienced outside resort boundaries.

He recently bought a backcountry touring setup, said a close friend, Ed McKeown.

“He was not a savvy backcountry guy,” McKeown lamented of his friend, who was so attentive to detail in climbing and other endeavors.
    But I agree, there is evidence to the contrary. Heck, the article has this picture of him and his daughter both with backcountry gear (but the article also said his daughter was on snowshoes the day of the accident, so maybe they just booted up in alpine gear on the day this pic was taken):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krol-ski-02.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	355591

Regardless of those details, the facts are that he went solo and he didn't have gear with him. And tragically died.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Regardless of those details, the facts are that he went solo and he didn't have gear with him. And tragically died.
    And chose to do so in an avalanche path with significant consequences

I haven't skied it but looks like a terrain trap, no?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I haven't skied it but looks like a terrain trap, no?
    Here's an image of Chimney Chute (the prominent funnel in the center of the photo)

Name:	chimney-chute-berthoud-pass.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	355593

So his daughter was waiting at the bottom? Heart breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Compare that with this from caic to get a clear idea where he went. His final loation is not visible in the pic

Name:	tjjgtsqbt7c6q361gp5nw1zpe2pj.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	355625

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Here's an image of Chimney Chute (the prominent funnel in the center of the photo)

Name:	chimney-chute-berthoud-pass.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	355593
    Wow! Skiing this line, in the current snowpack. Just ... wow.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Wow! Skiing this line, in the current snowpack. Just ... wow.

... Thom
    My exact thoughts. Vibes to all involved.

I've sold more full backcountry set ups to older, experienced (self admittedly in-bounds) skiers this season than any other demographic.

I believe, this group is at a particularly elevated risk this season. They are approaching retirement age (aka lots of extra time), well-funded, and have the desire to avoid the COVID crowds in the resort. My dad is one of the these folks. I've had to talk him out of going solo touring on, "terrain he skied a hundred times when berthoud was a ski resort."

I just try my best to remind folks that education the the best way to avoid avalanches and to stay safe out there.

RIP Darek Krol. Vibes to all who knew him.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've sold more full backcountry set ups to older, experienced (self admittedly in-bounds) skiers this season than any other demographic.

I believe, this group is at a particularly elevated risk this season. They are approaching retirement age (aka lots of extra time), well-funded, and have the desire to avoid the COVID crowds in the resort. My dad is one of the these folks. I've had to talk him out of going solo touring on, "terrain he skied a hundred times when berthoud was a ski resort."

I just try my best to remind folks that education the the best way to avoid avalanches and to stay safe out there.

RIP Darek Krol. Vibes to all who knew hi,.
    That's interesting and scary.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Then what does it take to be experienced? On his FB page there are numerous pictures of him booting up couloirs and skinning/skiing in the backcountry. He's been doing it for years
    Big difference between evaluating hazards in spring mountaineering season vs. early winter in a continental snowpack. Also (as we all know) plenty of people with years of experience make mistakes (usually getting away with it, occasionally not).

Quote Originally Posted by Danno
    From the report it didn't sound like gear or a partner would have helped (aside from helping SAR with the recovery). The main problem was skiing that line in the current conditions.

Obviously a talented guy, putting up 5.13b routes in his late 50s is impressive. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Big difference between evaluating hazards in spring mountaineering season vs. early winter in a continental snowpack. Also (as we all know) plenty of people with years of experience make mistakes (usually getting away with it, occasionally not).
    Yeah but we're not, or at least I'm not talking about that level of experience. I'm talking about having enough experience to know to check the forecast. Enough to know that three people had died in the recent week as a result of the sketchy pack.

One thing that has been biting at me as well is the possibility of having a few beers. Holiday weekend hanging out at the pass with the family. I would be.

There's really no place in this thread for a baseless accusation about drug-induced impairment being responsible.

A lot of people are more principled than you when it comes to saving intoxicants for AFTER they've finished their ski days. Touring and impaired judgement don't mix. Leave that shit at home. The beers don't get cracked until the truck is unloaded, the gear is put away, and I'm out of my ski clothes.

While, I agree with you about the victim and the beers thing, a commitment to having the truck unloaded before wetting the whistle is robbing yourself of one of the simple pleasures of skiing.