Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help selecting new audio system

My 30 year plus Yamaha receiver just shut down and I think it’s time to replace it.
    I also have a large JBL subwoofer and Canton speakers that take up a lot of space, but really sound great.
    Looking for a new system that I can attach my turntable and a cd and possibly my tv.
    Without breaking the bank, I always wanted a Macintosh system but now would prefer something less expensive but with a good dynamic range
    Any suggestions

Old school or new production? I've had zero failures or repairs with late 70 - early 80's Yamaha separates. 2 M-80's, 2 C-80's, One M-85, C-45, and MX-600. The build quality and components in these would be available only in the higher priced units (today) so even if I had a significant repair or restoration done, still have a better unit unless I paid at least a couple grand for something new. These are getting harder to find but never spent more than 200.00 for any component and all were excellent to mint. Todays market / money, I'd look hard at Parasound but Cambridge has stepped up their game and venerable Marantz has some nice gear without breaking the bank. Edit: Just a thought regarding the sound you like. Different brands do have some differences in the listeners experience. Yamaha is known to be a bit bright and clinical, old Marantz is warmer sounding, old Pioneer was closer to a tube experience. If you are looking for modern, visit a showroom if possible.

x2 on older Yamaha separates.

90s Rotel power amps are similarly good value if you can find one.

Mine just shut down and now only turns on for a few seconds
    Could it be it’s just a fuse
    I just tried to send a picture and for the first time ever on this Forum I could not attach one
    Model number RX-V596

Well you can buy another one for $63.00 and it comes with a remote and a manual! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-RX-V...4AAOSweYBesg1k

Otzi have to listened to Sonos system?

There is so much out there.

I have a decent Denon home entertainment box. A crown amp
    Insane klipsch tower speakers. 2 12 inch klipsch subwoofers.

Right now. I am listening to A pair of klipsch RPM desk speakers with an output to a 12 inch subwoofer. Optical connection to the TV. Blue tooth input from the phone. And RCA left right inputs from the dvd player. It's really rich. Not the power of the big speakers and crown amp. But very respectful for a house. If you shop around you could probably find the system for less than 800
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by yellofin View Post
    Otzi have to listened to Sonos system?
    I’ve gone full Sonos. It’s fkna awesome.

But you can get a Sonos box to input into a traditional amp system if that’s what you have.

But the Sonos connect amp plugged into Bose speakers is good enough for me these days.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I’ve gone full Sonos. It’s fkna awesome.

But you can get a Sonos box to input into a traditional amp system if that’s what you have.

But the Sonos connect amp plugged into Bose speakers is good enough for me these days.
    That’s good to know

Audio science review.com has objective measurement of tons of gear. I replaced a 20yo b&k reciever with a new demon based on info there and room correction is awesome.

My 30 year plus Yamaha receiver just shut down and I think it’s time to replace it.
    I also have a large JBL subwoofer and Canton speakers that take up a lot of space, but really sound great.
    Looking for a new system that I can attach my turntable and a cd and possibly my tv.
    Without breaking the bank, I always wanted a Macintosh system but now would prefer something less expensive but with a good dynamic range
    Any suggestions
    Which cantons? I keep seeing them at what seem to be very good prices but tough to find any reviews of them.

Also, check accessories4less.com for some really good prices on Denon/marantz receivers. I picked up a Denon 2700h refurb and it's been great for tv setup. Heos system works well for whole-house audio too. Maybe not Sonos-level, but close enough that I dont care.

I've been half thinking about buying a pair of these: https://us.kef.com/speaker/computer-...ireless-2.html and just streaming everything to them. Lots of flexibility and the speakers sound really good.

Don't mean to spam, but if you want a real baller setup, check out this listing of mine:
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/yam...duced.3174180/
    I'm selling my Yamaha A-S2100 integrated stereo amp and CD-S2100 cd player that I had as a super high end setup at my now defunct home theater showroom in Big Sky. Pains me to sell it as I wanted to keep it for myself, but life is forcing me to. A truly kick ass stereo, though.

Not really at the same audiophile level as others here but I’ve been super happy with my Polk bookshelfs. I think they hit a nice sweet spot; spend a little more money but get way better sound than the standard consumer brands, not crazy pricey like the boutique stuff...

For a receiver I went simple. A Topping mini amp. Two inputs, two channels, a volume knob. Perfect for my turntable and chromecast audio....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Help selecting new audio system

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Not really at the same audiophile level as others here but I’ve been super happy with my Polk bookshelfs. I think they hit a nice sweet spot; spend a little more money but get way better sound than the standard consumer brands, not crazy pricey like the boutique stuff...

For a receiver I went simple. A Topping mini amp. Two inputs, two channels, a volume knob. Perfect for my turntable and chromecast audio....

This sounds good, but instead of spending money on the Polk speakers get some from Dayton Audio. Very underrated and an incredible value. Spend the savings on a Topping TP-60.
    The Dayton Audio BTR-01 is a great Bluetooth streamer too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Just checking in here as this thread had me curious so I went to eBay as a market check for value on my stereo equipment and was surprised to see the prices have climbed substantially on vintage gear in the last 15 years. Marantz receivers especially. I just paid $400 to have my Marantz 2270 completely rebuilt locally which now seems like a good value for another 20 years of service. My Klipsch Forte II’s are still going strong 30 years in. No desire to upgrade for this old guy, although wireless streaming seems nice I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Just checking in here as this thread had me curious so I went to eBay as a market check for value on my stereo equipment and was surprised to see the prices have climbed substantially on vintage gear in the last 15 years. Marantz receivers especially. I just paid $400 to have my Marantz 2270 completely rebuilt locally which now seems like a good value for another 20 years of service. My Klipsch Forte II’s are still going strong 30 years in. No desire to upgrade for this old guy, although wireless streaming seems nice I guess.
    The Sonos equipment and streaming would be nice but I’m thinking about taking my receiver out for a rebuild as well. And spend on a new turntable. I’ve been dragging my amp and speakers around for more years than I like to think about they sound like home.

The Sonos equipment and streaming would be nice but I’m thinking about taking my receiver out for a rebuild as well. And spend on a new turntable. I’ve been dragging my amp and speakers around for more years than I like to think about they sound like home.
    A big part of my thought process for my Marantz rebuild was certainly sentimental... my head is calibrated to the sound of my system for sure. Others folks gear just doesn't sound quite "right" to me... Steely Dan especially. The other factor was finding a local guy with the experience to do it right... he's a crusty old curmudgeonly fucker with lots of quirks but his workshop was a throwback to the mid-70's with more tube amps sitting around than I could count. He schooled me on all things Marantz when quizzing me about mine before agreeing to work on it. I figured get mine rebuilt before all these old timers are dead.

I have a Sonos Amp Connect hooked up through my Yamaha receiver. I got my wife the Sonos Move for X-Mas, and we were listening to Abbey Road off the turntable out by the fire pit in the backyard. It is pretty slick. I only went that way due to the house coming with wired speakers in the ceiling in all the main rooms. They are wired through an 8 zone ohm limiting switch. If you are looking to add an amp anyway, I highly recommend the new Sonos Amp. It is more powerful than the one I have. If you want to go really crazy, you can put one on every channel, and play different music from each one. I never saw the need for that though.

r/budgetaudiophile is a good resource for more reading/advice in this vein

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I have a Sonos Amp Connect hooked up through my Yamaha receiver. I got my wife the Sonos Move for X-Mas, and we were listening to Abbey Road off the turntable out by the fire pit in the backyard. It is pretty slick. I only went that way due to the house coming with wired speakers in the ceiling in all the main rooms. They are wired through an 8 zone ohm limiting switch. If you are looking to add an amp anyway, I highly recommend the new Sonos Amp. It is more powerful than the one I have. If you want to go really crazy, you can put one on every channel, and play different music from each one. I never saw the need for that though.
    Yup. Tossing a Sonos Connect's (or rather the new "Port") into any old stereo's a great way to go. I also have the new Sonos Amp in my living room for a basic 2.0 bookshelf setup for family use. I have a lot of great things to say about both units, but they also certainly have their drawbacks too. Overall it's been GREAT for dead simple operation for the whole family to enjoy, but personally I still like a proper AVR or beastly 2 channel amp for my primary viewing/listening sessions. I also have a Play:5 for the kitchen which kicks ass for that purpose, so I'm definitely not anti-Sonos or anything. I just like using the right tools for the tasks at hand, but then again I'm an AV gear whore the way that many of us are about skis, so it's kind of a problem.

OP, any chance you just have a short in one of your speaker wires causing it to shut down?

Sure that Sonos stuff is nice but damn is it overpriced... $650 for the amp? $500 for the connect?

I know it’s not apples to apples but fuck a chromecast audio was $30....(RIP).

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

For the money Yamaha. Otherwise geek out and do a custom build, but then kiss several paychecks good-bye.

I don't spend enough time being an audio dork/day to warrant audiophile-level equipment. My Insignia receiver and Bose 401 stereo combo playing streams from my laptop Itunes via Airport Express are fucking fine.

I don't drink lattes or smoke cigars rolled on the legs of virgins either. At some point it's just masturbating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    OP, any chance you just have a short in one of your speaker wires causing it to shut down?
    I was reading about this and will check my connections. But mine cuts out with no volume.