PSA: 177 & 184 Head Monster 108, new

Popped up on my saved searches, $290 OBO + ship (seller also has 170). Rare to see these new anymore, Marshal raves about them (seems to prefer them to even metal Katanas), Lindahl reviewed them on Blister. I'd be tempted, but picked up a few pair of metal Katanas over the Summer.

HEAD MONSTER 108 TI - 184 cm BRAND NEW !!
    Head Monster 108 Skis - - 177cm, NEW !

Edit: Seller just listed more 184 and 177.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-01-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Nice Find!
    If you live near a big mountain, and you intentionally look for empty-mountain bluebird windbuff days, then you deserve to treat yourself to a pair of Monster 108's.

Lol, I gave in and offered $200 for the 177 (have Katana in 184, but these are full camber)...seller just accepted it. Wonder how many of these he has.

Thanks for the PSA... I now have a pair of 184's coming my way for $200 + shipping. Adding to the charging quiver.

How they compare to Legend Pro 105's or Qlab's?

That is tempting. I have a pair of the Monster 98's. I'm only 5'9" and 160 and when things are smooth they are great. When they get bumped, they are a bit too stiff for my size. Wonder if these are the same way?
    He who has the most fun wins!

^^^^
    Way more stable and way more bottom feeders in pow. If I was still into doing comps, hands down this would be my ski for firm comp conditions. They rip but aren’t very versatile for being a fairly wide ski. I think they’re better than both skis you mentioned.

Skis arrived, sick. Definitely appreciate the slow USPS shipping, no brokerage fee or import duties.

Edit: Seller listed more 184 and 177, if anyone missed out.

hell yeah. thought I missed out.

These as stiff as the Monster 98's? I have a pair of the 184cm and they are fairly stout. Love them when things are smooth, but once bumpy my 160ibs gets bucked a bit. Love the smooth, damp feel of the ski.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Used pair of 108's for under two hundy in Denver: Head Monster 177 cm Skis Wide Powder

There are also new ones for $299+ship, and a 170 Monster 98 for $278+ship.

Still have my pair of 177 108's in the plastic, lol. I'll have to mount 'em this year.

Considering... What are recommendations for length with these? Do they ski long, short?

Quote Originally Posted by m5d5cb View Post
    Considering... What are recommendations for length with these? Do they ski long, short?
    it is a good question, with a slightly less direct answer.

6’2” 210 lb human here, who mostly skis ~190cm skis, and who has both 191 and 184 108’s.

in terms of “how much physical input do they take to turn”, I would say the monster skis true to length compared to other heavy directional Freeride skis. That said, I find them quick and maneuverable, And enjoy them in (utah style) moguls, unlike, say, the Cochise which is less responsive.

however, that isn’t the full story.

They are perhaps the most confidence inspiring and smooth skis one might ever ski on… unlike a Katana which is more abrasive. The monster encourages you to open your turns and ski the fall line even in the most wind-blaster snow since it is so smooth. In that sense I would say they ski longer (in a good way!) because you don’t need extra length to gain stability.

in short if you ski a 180-183 length ski frequently, and especially if it has a twin or much tail rocker on it, the 177 monster is not too small.

Hope that helps!

^^^ Agreed. I think you can generally size down one size because they are so smooth, stable, and confidence inspiring. I ski a lot of 190cm+ skis and have a 184cm Monster 108.

I also sized down to a 177cm Monster 88 for a frontside zoomer ski and have been happy with it as a very stable SL-like ski.

^^ Interesting. I normally run around 180+/- lengths (190 for rockered pow skis), but picked up a pair of 170 Monster 88's because they were dirt cheap for Spring roadside chute booting (boilerplate mornings). Thought maybe it was a dumb idea to go super short and heavy, but maybe not after hearing your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^^ Interesting. I normally run around 180+/- lengths (190 for rockered pow skis), but picked up a pair of 170 Monster 88's because they were dirt cheap for Spring roadside chute booting (boilerplate mornings). Thought maybe it was a dumb idea to go super short and heavy, but maybe not after hearing your responses.
    not only do they sound perfect for what you describe, I bet you get a lot of extra mileage on ribbon groomer zoomer days.

^ Skied the M88's this weekend, and they are awesome. Don't pull you into the turn like a Kastle, but they definitely jam once you get your groove on.

More 177 108's for $199+ship on fleabay: Head Monster 108 Skis - - 177cm, NEW !

"If you live near a big mountain, and you intentionally look for empty-mountain bluebird windbuff days, then you deserve to treat yourself to a pair of Monster 108's."

That is exactly my idea of ski nirvana - and the reason that I love Monsters, Pro Riders etc.