Marker Alpinist Bindings -- loose heel risers

I've been happy with the alpinist in general. Only issue is that after a couple seasons the heel risers are becoming loose to the point they don't stay in place. Looks like they're fastened with a rivet, so not very easy to adjust. Any thoughts on a homebrew fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Subscapularis View Post
    I've been happy with the alpinist in general. Only issue is that after a couple seasons the heel risers are becoming loose to the point they don't stay in place. Looks like they're fastened with a rivet, so not very easy to adjust. Any thoughts on a homebrew fix?
    I put some green loctite on them in summer. Just a few drops. They're not flipping around any more

Mine did this after a handful of long tours on them. I resorted to putting some little strips of duct tape wrapped around the riser to tighten it up. Super ghetto, worked for a while then had to reapply. Took those bindings apart so many times trying to fix the issue. Finally gave up and moved on. Have a friend still on a pair looking for a fix. I’ll reach out to him and see if he figured anything out. It was an infuriating issue, I feel your pain!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibra-tite?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

i dont understand. dont stay in place? they lie flat - forward or backward. what am i missing?

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    i dont understand. dont stay in place? they lie flat - forward or backward. what am i missing?
    In my case it was they would never stay in place in highest climbing position. Riser flips up between strides with the snow flipping the riser back and then you’re in flat (boot heel on ski).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, when loose they have a tendency to go vertical, bounce around, and not lie flat as needed.

Thanks for the recommendations. Think I'll try out one of the threadlockers.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Vibra-tite?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    I never even knew that stuff existed. I can think of a couple potential applications, especially this one big bolt on my equalizer trailer hitch that always rattles loose. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I never even knew that stuff existed. I can think of a couple potential applications, especially this one big bolt on my equalizer trailer hitch that always rattles loose. Thanks
    From on missoulian to another...

vibra-tite on anything plastic or where you plan to unscrew and rescrew. vibra is "reusable" but reality is that after you unscrew and rescrew it back in once, the goo has rubbed off.

loctite (red) anywhere you want it to be permanent. also eats plastic.

I have the same issue but I’m wondering how to apply vibra tite. My heel riser looks to be secured with a rivet. I’m not sure how to remove.

Just looking for any updates on this issue and successes or failures. Hasn't happened to me yet, but anticipating.

Also, has anyone tried flipping the orientation of the riser so that it's in the "high" (haha) setting when flipped on top of the U-spring ends facing forward? From the factory, the low setting is on when the riser is flipped on top of the ends of the U-spring. My thought is that if I'm hot-lapping, I'd rather be in the high setting and most likely just climbing, then at the top of the lap, flip the riser over, stomp, and I'm in downhill mode, no messing with rotating the heel turret. Looks like one could just drive out the pin, change the riser orientation, then drive the pin back in. Might loosen things up too much, though.

Lost the heel riser!

Hello everyone. I want to point out that the bolt that holds the heel riser can get loose and out of the binding and you will loose the heel riser. This happened to me two weeks ago. I've been looking for a replacement but as it turns out this piece is not available, I've been in contact with the country distributor and with Marker as well and they just don't have a solution for me. This is very costly as now I have a useless pair of bindings 1 year old...

Quote Originally Posted by fabianm View Post
    Hello everyone. I want to point out that the bolt that holds the heel riser can get loose and out of the binding and you will loose the heel riser. This happened to me two weeks ago. I've been looking for a replacement but as it turns out this piece is not available, I've been in contact with the country distributor and with Marker as well and they just don't have a solution for me. This is very costly as now I have a useless pair of bindings 1 year old...
    Well that sucks. Hard to believe Marker doesn't have one they can send you. Good luck finding one.

When you say ‘bolt’, which by definition is a threaded item, I’m guessing you mean ‘pin’? We have 5 pairs of Alpinists, some with 100+ days and no issues, and they all have a pressfit pin holding the heel elevators. Just for fun I looked at all the pins, and they’re all in place like new.

Hope Marker helps you out soon.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I also appear to have pins, but am also experiencing this issue. Are people just dabbing vibratite on the pin, or do some iterations have a removable bolt?

Wouldn’t slow cure epoxy be an easy fix?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

That could work too.

I have brought it to places with a press and had good luck with that approach

Pressing out the pin to apply vibratite or do you mean something else?

It actually looks like my riser has a groove worn in it from flipping back and forward...this is all pretty much moot since it only affects the highest riser anyway which i rarely, if ever, use.