Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Covid-19 lift restrictions - Snowbird

I'm not singling out Snowbird since all ski resorts have similar policies in place but Snowbird is where I ski. Last Friday when I was there the lift lines were long and people were not socially distancing, the employees were not saying anything which personally I'm okay with since we are outdoors and the exposer is limited. What is crazy to me is after standing in long lift line for 20+ minutes right next to strangers you then get on the lift with only those in your group! I think we can all agree that in general your exposer to Covid-19 once on the lift with the wind in your face is going to be less than it was in a crowded lift line. The good news is that after talking to Snowbird's general manager about this (he was there interacting with those in line) I learned that unofficially Snowbird is fine with people not in the same group riding the lift together.

If you are fine riding the lift with people not in your group at Snowbird (and likely many other resorts) go for it if you can find others who are also fine with it.

I’ll resort ski with my wife today and Xmas day. Otherwise no lift service for me until Jan 2.
    Yesterday, with wind hold, gaperville and limited terrain, PC was a total shit show. By 11 am, I saw at least 6 people on patrol sleds.
    On Mon. at DV, I observed a man skiing down a green run with his toddler in his arms and a 6-7 year old hugging him (hanging on for dear life) behind him. This created a huge traffic jam on the access trail to Ruby.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    I'm not singling out Snowbird since all ski resorts have similar policies in place but Snowbird is where I ski. Last Friday when I was there the lift lines were long and people were not socially distancing, the employees were not saying anything which personally I'm okay with since we are outdoors and the exposer is limited. What is crazy to me is after standing in long lift line for 20+ minutes right next to strangers you then get on the lift with only those in your group! I think we can all agree that in general your exposer to Covid-19 once on the lift with the wind in your face is going to be less than it was in a crowded lift line. The good news is that after talking to Snowbird's general manager about this (he was there interacting with those in line) I learned that unofficially Snowbird is fine with people not in the same group riding the lift together.

If you are fine riding the lift with people not in your group at Snowbird (and likely many other resorts) go for it if you can find others who are also fine with it.
    awesome. a company not giving a shit. yay. fucking america right on.

I learned that unofficially Snowbird is fine with people not in the same group riding the lift together.
    In totally unrelated news, Utah and SLC have made national headlines for their high Covid infection rates, and hospitalization rates.

It is true that Utah does have high Covid-19 infection rates! Utah has a lot of right wingers that don't believe in mask wearing which is what is driving the high rates.

Sounds like a super spreader location. A bunch of COVID infected skiers packed together with face covers that do basically nothing to prevent the COVID from drifting through the lift lines. Good luck, and Merry Christmas!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Ya know there is that Covid risk. It is small but it is undoubtedly there.

The much greater risks are from sending 20+ people to the E/R from LCC and from BCC and from the east side of the Wasatch and exposing them as well as the strain on an already taxed emergency care system.

I will probably go down and ski tomorrow (with a low bar of leaving if I don't like the numbers). My pass blacks out on the 26th and I am fine not skiing until after the hordes leave.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    In totally unrelated news, Utah and SLC have made national headlines for their high Covid infection rates, and hospitalization rates.
    seconded -

wishing you All merry Christmas wishes... ! skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    My pass blacks out on the 26th and I am fine not skiing until after the hordes leave.
    I'm also done with Big Sky until after the holidays. Lack of legit terrain is a factor too, I've had enough low tide groomers by now, but so is avoiding the Xmas crowds.

I think BS has done a good job and maybe Snowbird could learn from them, but it took them awhile to get it dialed. Separate lines for people who want to group up and people who don't has helped clarify things, along with the appropriate signage. When I'm skiing alone, I've been grouping with people as long as I don't have to sit right next to a stranger. Just goes too contrary to my skier nature to take a solo chair when there are people waiting. As OP pointed out, chair riding seems like a low risk situation.

And having an employee at the START of the line telling people to mask up and distance has really helped at BS, rather than a lifty telling them at the lift after they've been standing there in line for however long. That's key. So far so good at Big Sky, I'd say, and I hope other areas can get it dialed because it's really not that difficult.

Love the idea of a sperate line for those that want to group up, hopefully other resorts including Snowbird start doing this.

Love the idea of a sperate line for those that want to group up, hopefully other resorts including Snowbird start doing this.
    I hope not.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

The early alarm clock is painful, but mall walker is on to something with the early starts.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201223_074014~2.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	354432

What are they doing at the Tram?

From what I hear 25 total on the tram with 5 of the 25 coming through the back door so really only 20. I normally mostly take the tram at Snowbird but I have not been on the tram yet this year and may not.

Interesting note, I have been skiing at Snowbird since the mid 80's and they use to load 115-120 (holds 125) on the tram but they now only load 100-105 on it when things are running normally.

Pretty sure that is called the singles line.
    bumps are for poor people

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    Pretty sure that is called the singles line.
    Not really. Doubles willing to ride with another double or single. Triples willing to ride with a single. Etc. On 6 and 8 seaters many combinations are possible if all parties agree.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Not really. Doubles willing to ride with another double or single. Triples willing to ride with a single. Etc. On 6 and 8 seaters many combinations are possible if all parties agree.
    so you want a singles line and a swingers line? got it.

Maybe we should just implement a short term lottery system or just start bidding on seats?
    bumps are for poor people

This year at snowbird it’s Gad to little cloud, or Peruvian through the tunnel and up mineral basin. No way will I get on the tram until probably Early April
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by westoxified View Post
    so you want a singles line and a swingers line? got it.

Maybe we should just implement a short term lottery system or just start bidding on seats?
    Actually, it sounds like you don't "got it." At Big Sky, they have made two lines: One for people who want to only ride with their group, and one for people who don't mind being put on a chair with other groups. This has eliminated the awkwardness and uncertainty that existed surrounding this issue (and was causing a lot of complaints). You don't need to ask for your own chair any more--just get in the line for people who want to ride alone or only with their group. The lifty will automatically give your group your own chair. OTOH, if you don't mind riding with strangers, get in the other line and you will be grouped as needed. The two lines alternate loading, so nobody really feels like they are waiting extra time for the people who want their own chair. Let me know if you still don't understand and I'll make a diagram or something.

The "singles line" no longer exists.

I went into the plaza for the first time today, walked by the tram line, I may get in the box with 25 people but there’s no way I’m standing in a line inside that building.

Employee Appreciation Day was a success today. I was supposed to meet Laura the tram op outside and pass off the fifths of Jack I got them but I got there early and instead beat on the door by the statue and handed them off to a new tram op. Pretty sure they’re understaffed a bit this year. I brought 115 candy bags and only handed out about 70 of them.

I told about three people today that tried to join me that I didn’t feel comfortable riding the lift with them, explained I’ve quarantining/bubbling up for the last 10 days since my son was infected. Everyone was fine with it.

exposer to Covid-19 .
    Instant red flag. Are we talking a flasher at the hospital? It’s just not right.

Actually, it sounds like you don't "got it." At Big Sky, they have made two lines: One for people who want to only ride with their group, and one for people who don't mind being put on a chair with other groups. This has eliminated the awkwardness and uncertainty that existed surrounding this issue (and was causing a lot of complaints). You don't need to ask for your own chair any more--just get in the line for people who want to ride alone or only with their group. The lifty will automatically give your group your own chair. OTOH, if you don't mind riding with strangers, get in the other line and you will be grouped as needed. The two lines alternate loading, so nobody really feels like they are waiting extra time for the people who want their own chair. Let me know if you still don't understand and I'll make a diagram or something.

So, what if im a single and am cool riding with another single on the quad, but not with a 3-pack? What if im with my wife and we are cool with another single on the quad, but not another double? What do we do. WHICH LINE DO WE GO IN?!?! Oh god too many choices!?!?!

I want to share a chair, but only in certain situations. and not all the time.

BobMc, May you and your son be well this season. HELL that goes for the rest of ya' too.

Huh, so that's what that was all about, buddy and I skiing together last week kept using the line that was a lot shorter (the DGAF line) but for some reason no one ever jumped on with us.

I want to share a chair, but only in certain situations. and not all the time.
    Holding out for that super hot model chica eh?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Holding out for that super hot model chica eh?
    Giselle waits for ME.