Touring with Torn Labrum (hip)

I've got a small labral tear in my right hip. The doctor told me to ski on it this season, and see how it felt.

Answer: after 5k vertical over 2 days (i.e. not much), my hip is rather uncomfortable. The pain hasn't reached season-ending levels (yet), but I'm not optimistic.

Question: Would a lighter setup help?

My current skis/boots/bindings are about 16lbs total, give or take, mostly in the skis and bindings. I could easily knock 3 or 4 lbs off of that total, with a different sky/binding combo.

Any thoughts on whether this might help reduce irritation of my injury? My understanding is that the repetitive motion of skinning is the primary culprit for the discomfort. But maybe reducing the strain of a hefty setup would ease things a bit?

Medical professionals of TGR - please help.

Not a medical professional BUT lighter skis should help. I've been dealing with hip pain (just from overuse & tightness) when touring on and off for a few years. Heavy skis, heavy packs, and big days bring it on for me. I would lighten up your load and consider touring on narrower skis as well. Narrower width requires less hip angulation and is also easier on the knees.

16 lbs is pretty insanely heavy...

I'd concur with lightening the rig, weight will tax your active muscle / joint groups and getting to 11 lbs. or less wouldn't be hard. Lighter gear may ski differently but you probably want to take it easier to lessen consequences. If your Dr. encourages skiing, by all means keep it up as best you can. I skied and toured with a bad hip joint and painful arthritis for years (suggested by my Dr.) and often paid the price but had the newer tech / lighter gear been around, first taker, right here.

Thanks for the replies. I caved and bought some short (170cm), skinny (85mm) and light (1100g) touring skis, and bindings. Total rig should add up to somewhere in the 5-6 lbs per foot range. Hopefully it helps! I'm also hoping I can remember how to ski pow on skinny boards... and that we get some snow here out east in the first place.

I think that for the East coast style of touring (I'm originally from VT), 85 mm short boards should be great! They will make it easy to wiggle through the trees.

My cream has worked magic on a few shoulder labrums, including my own.
    Just sayin' and I ain't saying it because I need the money.
    There's a reason I sold out three times in December.

In case anybody was wondering:

I got a lighter setup. Somewhere around ~12lbs total. Bottom line: I have less pain and discomfort with these skis, vs the heavier ones.

Nice! Keep up the stretch, roll, strengthen routine and I bet you'll stay happy