Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2 fatalities north of Silverton - Battleship

Last edited by durangobrad; 12-20-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Fuck.

It's so god damn sketchy around here right now. Stay safe folks.

Awful. What a terrible start to the season in CO.
    RIP.

Sounds like it's the same general area as this from 2 seasons ago.....
    https://durangoherald.com/articles/262596
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Awful. What a terrible start to the season in CO.
    RIP.

Sounds like it's the same general area as this from 2 seasons ago.....
    https://durangoherald.com/articles/262596
    It is.

I skied the run from near the top of the bowl for the first time less than a month ago. It's an enormous path. It's damn near the perfect avalanche path. My whole party kept commenting on how dangerous the area was going to be as soon as it snowed more. I hate how right we were.

The run the skiers in your article got caught in climbing is significantly more wooded, but that doesn't seems to be any safer right now. Many of these recent avalanches have been occurring in just over 30 degree sparsely wooded areas. It is about as dangerous as I've seen it in the San Juans right now.

I'm fucking gutted right now. Vibes to those involved.

I toured thursday with two guys who usually get 500,000ft a year in that area. They came over to Wolf Creek because they did not think they could have a good day of skiing safely over there. Sad to read this and see more sadness in people's lives.
    off your knees Louie

When I was guiding for Telluride HeliTrax, the Battleship was part of our permit area. We didn’t ski it often and when we did we bombed the shit out of it first. And I still considered it potentially sketchy after bombing it.
    So to be touring up it under current conditions is .....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7wq3ghdp5mgv505fmj5wskceq9yl.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	353941

Figure 2: Photo of the north side of the Battleship, taken from a helicopter on December 20. The skiers were near the looker's right (west) side of the image.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Terrifying

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn.

Hey all, i know one of the guys and his wife. I’m not sure who his partner was, but the text messages are flying in the community. He wasn’t a good friend, but he was a super nice guy who has skied a ton in the San Juans for many years.

His wife just gave birth to twins about a month ago. They’re still on oxygen even.
    It’s completely devastating.

What the fuck he was doing up there yesterday I have no idea. No one I know is skiing shit right now. I’ve never skied that N side of battleship even in green-light conditions as it just scares the shit out of me. What the fuck fuck fuck.

Everyone is pretty shocked right now.

Very sorry to hear this....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

San Juan County, Colorado 12/20/2020

PRESS RELEASE San Juan County, Colorado

Silverton Colo.: On Saturday December 19, two backcountry skiers were caught, buried, and killed in an avalanche in the North San Juan Mountain Zone near Ophir pass in San Juan County Colorado. On Sunday December 20, at 8:00am the San Juan County Sheriff’s Department, San Juan County Search and Rescue, Flight for Life Lifeguard 5 helicopter crew, La Plata County Search and Rescue initiated a mission to recover the bodies of the two deceased backcountry skiers from the Ophir Pass area. At 2:15pm the team recovered the skiers bodies and San Juan County Coroner Keri Metzler identified them as Albert Perry 55 years old and Dr. Jeff Paffendorf 51 years old both from Durango CO.

Saturday 12/19/20 8:00pm: Two overdue backcountry skiers were reported missing from the Ophir Pass area in the North San Juan Mountain Zone.
    8:06pm: San Juan County Sheriff, San Juan County Search and Rescue, La Plata County Search and Rescue and Flight for Life Lifeguard 5 helicopter crew were initiated to look for two overdue skiers in the backcountry.
    9:30pm: Flight for Life helicopter crew spotted an avalanche on the North West side of Ophir Pass near the Battleship avalanche path.
    11:00pm: San Juan County Search and Rescue & La Plata County Search and Rescue field staff were called to standby due to avalanche danger, weather and hazardous conditions.
    11:30 pm: An independent group of skiers located the two overdue skiers located in the avalanche debris and pronounced deceased on the scene.
    Sunday 12/20/20 2:00am: All parties were cleared from the area and San Juan County Sheriff, San Juan County Search and Rescue determined to begin the recovery mission in the morning.
    8:00am: San Juan County Sheriff, San Juan County Search and Rescue, La Plata County Search and Rescue and Flight for Life Lifeguard 5 helicopter crew begin recovery efforts for the two deceased skiers in the Ophir pass area.
    Flight for Life Lifeguard 5 conducted a fly over with a CAIC forecaster and SJC SAR member to analyze the hazard and risk of the avalanche area for the safety of the rescuers during this recovery mission.
    10:00am: SJC SAR & LP SAR ground teams began access.
    12:00pm: SJC SAR & LP SAR ground crew reach deceased skiers in Avalanche debris
    2:15pm: SJC SAR & LP SAR recover deceased skiers identified as Albert Perry & Dr. Jeff Paffendorf
    2:30pm: SJCSO & SJC SAR recovery mission complete

Multiple agencies were involved in this effort, including the San Juan County Sheriff's office, San Juan County Search and Rescue, San Juan/Silverton Ambulance, La Plata County Search and Rescue, Flight for Life Lifeguard 5 crew of Mercy Hospital in Durango and Colorado Avalanche Information Center. All of the agencies would like to extend their condolences to the Perry and Paffendorf families.

This is just terrible. Not much else to say.

Have to say though, looking at Colorado's snowpack right now, all signs point to 'just stay home', or ski inbounds to me.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    This is just terrible. Not much else to say.

Have to say though, looking at Colorado's snowpack right now, all signs point to 'just stay home', or ski inbounds to me.
    More like the normal. Just don't fuck up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Raise your hand if you would have guessed that the first three deaths in CO would all be over the age of 50 (and the broken leg in CB a few days ago is also well into his 40's). Not sure if that's indicating a pattern or shift or something, but anyway...

Vibes to Durango and friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Raise your hand if you would have guessed that the first three deaths in CO would all be over the age of 50 (and the broken leg in CB a few days ago is also well into his 40's). Not sure if that's indicating a pattern or shift or something, but anyway...

We are never off the hook. The crowd that started with Trackers, Freerides & Fat Skis is pushing 50. Should we have the experience to consistently make good decisions? Maybe. Is that anytype of a guarantee? Absolutely not.

Without commenting on the recent incidents, we just have to make consistently conservation decisions and be hyper self aware. There is no magic answer.

Our fun little hobby is starting to look more like a deadly addiction for some.

It's just really sad. And puzzling after just reading about the other yesterday
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

2 fatalities north of Silverton - Battleship

RIP Jeff and Bert
    Last edited by Tech Tonics; 12-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Really sad news, the san Juan are brutal. Sorry for everyone close to them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    Really sad news, the san Juan are brutal. Sorry for everyone close to them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    You are an idiot, and yes I will raise my hand. The younger demographic haven't been hit as hard and the older crew is getting after it like no other. I can actually place names on who I think will die next, which is fucked. And I am completely aware that like I70, I am the problem.
    It's a very meta morosis.

A slope is a slope you dope you dope.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don't disagree with any of that but I'm not sure what makes PowderHorse an idiot or what makes it not OK to be sorry?

He was just drunk posting again. He is probably sleeping it off right now

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You are an idiot, and yes I will raise my hand. The younger demographic haven't been hit as hard and the older crew is getting after it like no other. I can actually place names on who I think will die next, which is fucked. And I am completely aware that like I70, I am the problem.
    It's a very meta morosis.

A slope is a slope you dope you dope.
    Wow, not sure IF you even know who your anger is even directed at? Are you just an angry person in general or does the booze increase that?

Either way, terrible start to the season there. If only people got out of the "I gotta get my line before anyone else does no matter the conditions" frame of mind and assess their party and snowpack before jumping in I think we'd all be a little safer.

This link might address some of the experienced skier getting hit discussion.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/241922...e-risk-COVID19

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    More like the normal. Just don't fuck up.
    You're not wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Expert halo?

We're all very familiar with the concept. Seems like there's a new strain of it rearing its head these days. A literal lifetime of good decisions causing confirmation bias, leading to questionable decisions. Conversely, a lifetime of getting lucky for sure causes the same. For most of us, it's some mixture of the two. Then there's just plain bad luck. To me the trick seems to be to approach every day as a scared amatuer. Forget the nuance of what you think you can get away with and get back to the basics. Look for reasons to not go instead of reasons to go. Then build the possibility of being 'unlucky' into your decision making process. Ski for the worst case scenario. None of this is new, just seems like many don't ski this way. Unfortunately it takes a lot off the table.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air