WTB: The North Face Powder Guide Vest

Yo-

Have one in your closet you aren't using? I want it.

Looking for a M or L. Probable don't want the ABS version, but, maybe?

Shoot me a PM with what you have.

Thanks!

I had the TNF Powder Guide but it was a bit too small for me (maybe I had a medium?), so I ended up with two of these WARY Mtn vests and like them a lot. MTN / Ski Patrol Vest *** BLACK (M/L)

The guy in the photo has the shovel backwards; it should curve the other direction so it's low-profile. The radio pocket has an opening at the top, for a radio mic cord and a tube from a hydration bag in the back. My biggest gripes with the WARY vest is that the front pouches aren't bigger (they're not pleated to create extra space), there isn't a center loop in the back section to suspend a hydration bag (I currently hang the bag from the stowed ski carry strap, but am going to add a loop), and there's only a webbing strip on the bottom front pockets on one side (for carabineers, a watch, tape roll, way to hang gloves, etc), but that's about it.

Could be wrong, but as I recall the TNF vest didn't have a way to carry a hydration bag, and I seem to remember the back straps and pouch scooped up a lot of loose snow, which was annoying. I liked the pleated front pouches a lot though, you can carry quite a bit.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-21-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I had the TNF Powder Guide but it was a bit too small for me (maybe I had a medium?), so I ended up with two of these WARY Mtn vests and like them a lot. MTN / Ski Patrol Vest *** BLACK (M/L)

The guy in the photo has the shovel backwards; it should curve the other direction so it's low-profile. The radio pocket has an opening at the top, for a radio mic cord and a tube from a hydration bag in the back. My biggest gripe with the WARY vest is that the front pouches aren't bigger (they're not pleated to create extra space), and there isn't a center loop in the back section to suspend a hydration bag (I currently hang the bag from the stowed ski carry strap, but am going to add a loop), but that's about it.

Could be wrong, but as I recall the TNF vest didn't have a way to carry a hydration bag, and I seem to remember the back straps and pouch scooped up a lot of loose snow, which was annoying. I liked the pleated front pouches a lot though, you can carry quite a bit.
    Thanks for sharing those. They look really good and at a much much more reasonable price.

I traded in my Wary for a Dakine Poacher vest with an airbag for Mammut. Real happy with it, and they seem to be available.

I also have the Poacher, and added the airbag last season. I like the Poacher when more carrying capacity is needed (cold weather) or on avi-danger days, and prefer the WARY for traveling light or when more organization is needed (if you're a patroller, for example). If you're trying to avoid the patroller look, the Poacher is definitely more stealthy, though you can always mark out the WARY cross logos with red or black Sharpies if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    If you're trying to avoid the patroller look, the Poacher is definitely more stealthy, though you can always mark out the WARY cross logos with red or black Sharpies if desired.
    Line cutting when skiing solo is a primary feature of the WARY vest. Don't disable that feature... actually buy a radio and get a name tag for unlimited mountain access.

^ Or just a remote mic, lol.

Actually the only people hiding the WARY cross are probably off-duty patrollers who don't want to be asked common questions, lol.

^ Yeah I got some questions on opening day but I knew how to answer them. I also had lead patroller ask me to cover Red Cross with black tape since I was not one of his patrollers and it could be misleading. But love my wary vest

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Check out "What Vest". Super happy with mine. I use it on the hill every day. Loaded and its still great to ski in. I have a custom pack that fits really well for bc skiing but the "What Vest" is way more stable. Its like its almost not there. Stays in place at all times
    https://instagram.com/whatvest?igshid=1ve289oou4q1o

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Check out "What Vest". Super happy with mine. I use it on the hill every day. Loaded and its still great to ski in. I have a custom pack that fits really well for bc skiing but the "What Vest" is way more stable. Its like its almost not there. Stays in place at all times
    https://instagram.com/whatvest?igshid=1ve289oou4q1o

Do you have any bro codes cause they great but $250 is steep

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

ive got a large in the garage, collecting dust. Ill dig it out and take pics. I was able to modify it with a very small seal slice to accommodate a smaller hydration pack/tube. If its still in the vest ill send with if interested. Give me a little to find the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    ive got a large in the garage, collecting dust. Ill dig it out and take pics. I was able to modify it with a very small seal slice to accommodate a smaller hydration pack/tube. If its still in the vest ill send with if interested. Give me a little to find the thing.
    Could you take a quick photo of that mod and post it here? Sounds like a nice mod to do.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Still on the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    Could you take a quick photo of that mod and post it here? Sounds like a nice mod to do.
    Here is a pick of the mod. Fits a decent sized bladder.
    Washing the vest now for pics. Feel free to ask any questions and the mod. I typically run the bladder tube inside the vest between vest and jacket to prevent freezing. Hole can obviously be cut on either side. Has been this was for years and many ski days with no additional fraying. I suppose you could heat seal the nylon with a lighter after cut but I never did. No worse for the wear. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201222_135935962.MP.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	354219

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Freshly washed. All buckles and zippers in functioning order. Few abrasions. No holes other than bladder cut in prior pic. If I can find bladder it will ship with.

No idea on market for this, so make me an offer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201222_154832849.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	354240Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201222_154845289.jpeg 
Views:	83 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	354241

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Here is a pick of the mod. Fits a decent sized bladder.
    Washing the vest now for pics. Feel free to ask any questions and the mod. I typically run the bladder tube inside the vest between vest and jacket to prevent freezing. Hole can obviously be cut on either side. Has been this was for years and many ski days with no additional fraying. I suppose you could heat seal the nylon with a lighter after cut but I never did. No worse for the wear.
    Thanks for the photo! Looks like the right spot to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Do you have any bro codes cause they great but $250 is steep

No sorry. I bought mine in their old stock selection. Last years on sale. After the weekend i was thinking of updating my what vest thread because it was working so well then saw this wtb ad. I have no affiliation with them just reminded how well it works after the weekend. I bought a north face one off the forum(mightve been from you?) and it wouldve worked except it was a touch long. The what vest is a little burlier material. Nit sure if its more water proof but its more stable. Thicker, stiffer material
    She(Nadia)was good to deal with though. Maybe message them for old stock?

Thanks SkiDog-

Trying to find the next gen which has the zippered shovel pocket, so still on the hunt!