why recycling is bad

swing your fucking sword.

goddam women and their yogurt containers
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    goddam women and their yogurt containers
    We started making our own yogurt a couple of years ago just to avoid the containers. 1gal of milk turns into 1gal of yogurt overnight and milk jugs are #2, so they recycle better. It's one of those things that everyone should do because it's easy and better in every way.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    We started making our own yogurt a couple of years ago just to avoid the containers. 1gal of milk turns into 1gal of yogurt overnight and milk jugs are #2, so they recycle better. It's one of those things that everyone should do because it's easy and better in every way.
    nice, i have been shopping at a zero waste grocery store for about 18 mo now. Glass bottles for milk and yogurt that can be returned for a deposit. Bring your own container for a number of goods including cleaning products, detergent, hygiene products and dry goods. I find where I live a lot of zero waste initiatives were making good progress, but COVID set many of them back.
    27° 18°

dan, how do they package meat? This is the one we can't seem to figure out even with out local store offering reusable containers for just about anything in bulk.

Butcher paper? Although, I'm not sure if that is waxed and I know waxed paper products are sometimes excluded from recycling.

Edit: Fail. This surely qualifies as waste.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    dan, how do they package meat? This is the one we can't seem to figure out even with out local store offering reusable containers for just about anything in bulk.
    For meat before COVID most butchers, and even butcher counters in grocery stores would gladly put meat in your own container.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Butcher paper? Although, I'm not sure if that is waxed and I know waxed paper products are sometimes excluded from recycling.
    Butcher paper is waxed to extend its use, and most also has a plastic film on one side, to prevent freezer burn. Newsprint style paper, without the ink, can be used for short term packaging though. Butcher paper, just like the outside packaging of standard office print paper, can’t be recycled here due to the waxed coating.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    nice, i have been shopping at a zero waste grocery store for about 18 mo now. Glass bottles for milk and yogurt that can be returned for a deposit. Bring your own container for a number of goods including cleaning products, detergent, hygiene products and dry goods. I find where I live a lot of zero waste initiatives were making good progress, but COVID set many of them back.
    That sounds like something I could get into. If someplace like Costco got into this I bet it would boom. For meat I have always wanted to hand the butcher the zip lock bags I will put the meat in and just let them do it at the counter
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    That sounds like something I could get into. If someplace like Costco got into this I bet it would boom. For meat I have always wanted to hand the butcher the zip lock bags I will put the meat in and just let them do it at the counter
    tbh fellow mtl mag the rudeness is the zero waste pro. i'm just a hack. he's got that ish dialed. but yeah, pre covid, it didn't even require a special zero waste store, you could get a lot of stuff zero waste just by bringing your containers to the butcher, baker, etc (speaking for montreal here). I think they made it law to not refuse people who asked to use their own container.
    27° 18°

Paper has finite recycleability anyway. The fibers get shorter each time you process it. You can't make high-quality laser paper from egg cartons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Paper has finite recycleability anyway. The fibers get shorter each time you process it. You can't make high-quality laser paper from egg cartons.
    At least egg cartons can make good compost to start the cycle all over again.

Recycling bad? Plastic good?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch