Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Jazz. I'm into it.

I like jazz. Been a medeski martin and wood fan for a while, and it's actually on the player right now... The dropper... Highly recommended. But lately I've been listening a bunch of other stuff, thelonius Monk, charles mingus, spyra gyra, miles davis, chick corea, his acoustik band album is one of my favorites.

Whatchu got?

This is what's in right now. My favorite jazz album to date...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201217_161735_01.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	353485

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Not to put a downbeat on it but this would be the place to give honorable mention to El Chapultepec, one of the oldest bars and jazz clubs in Denver rip2020.

subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I like jazz. Been a medeski martin and wood fan for a while, and it's actually on the player right now... The dropper... Highly recommended. But lately I've been listening a bunch of other stuff, thelonius Monk, charles mingus, spyra gyra, miles davis, chick corea, his acoustik band album is one of my favorites.

Whatchu got?

This is what's in right now. My favorite jazz album to date...

Name:	IMG_20201217_161735_01.jpeg 
Views:	98 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	353485

sent from Utah.
    man bb we should get together and spin some vinyl when this pandemic isn't fucking killing all of us. i dig your taste, medeski martin & wood has some great grooves

i'm a big fan of the classics - thelonius, miles, parker, mingus, etc - but honestly - i'm a really big fan of the london (and los angeles) jazz scene that is happening right now. SO MANY really fucking cool artists that are coming out of both of those cities - now is maybe one of the greatest periods of jazz, ever. i know - sounds like heresy.

nubya garcia's record SOURCE this year is one of the best albums of the year - if not the best.
    shabaka hutchings sons of kemet is straight killing it (go listen to your queen is a reptile) , as is his other psy-jazz project the comet is coming
    fucking kamasi washington is a god. everyone he plays with too. brandon coleman is fucking unreal, as is miles mosley
    other amb-jazz shit is good too, like mammal hands and kokoroko

Jazz. I'm into it.

Most jazz bores me, but the Kilimanjaro Dark Jazz Ensemble really hits the spot. Recommended. Just experimental enough to keep it interesting, without going into Borbetomagus freak-out territory, or Painkiller noise wankery.

I saw MMW live once but haven't thought of them for a long time.

Art Blakey because he's a rad drummer. Pharoah Saunders, sax. Donald Byrd, trumpet, mainly during his jazz fusion years.

Some of these guys are on 50+ albums so depending on the decade they could be stale, cheesy, or blow your mind.

Random: I just bookmarked this jazz vid a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G68Q...=tardiobscurus

I grew up listening to a lot of jazz via my parents. I didn’t mind it at all, but didn’t study it at all. It just was there in the background. Been making a bit more of an effort in recent years.

Dexter Gordon "Homecoming".

Last edited by singlecross; 12-20-2020 at 09:21 AM.

John Scofield w/MMW... A Go Go. 1997.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

DUDE!!!

THIS:

Mix in some of THIS:

Finish with LOTS of THIS:

Lots of great recs already. Jazz is growing again which is exciting. I'll throw in a few names/albums off the top of my head

Bill Laswell's remixes of electric Mile's - "Panthalassa". Thats a great album, as are all of Mile's albums sourced for the project.

John Zorn - "Nosferatu" is the first one coming to mind. His work is well worth checking out.

Alice Coltrane

Tony Williams Lifetime

Jeff Parker, brought jazz guitar to early Tortoise which is a post rock band. His solo work is sweet.

Real bummer to hear about El Chapultepec

This is what I happened to be listening to when I first heard rumors of the Covid lockdowns in March.
    Miles Davis Little Church: https://youtu.be/UE70EI7TUJA

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    DUDE!!!

THIS:

this is the best album of all time, full stop

Fela Kuti

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    DUDE!!!

Mix in some of THIS:
    [/IMG]
    FKNA, good choice right there - back when I could hold my own with a tenor sax , 30+ minute jams on Chameleon were a regular occurrence.

Another favorite:

Jazz. I'm into it.

Heh^

Name:	Image1608310891.043893.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	353563

+1 on the Weather Report.

And my personal Jazz journey ended here with MAHAVISHNU. Cobham is my personal pick for greatest talent on drums of all time. (Yeah I know this tune has Walden on drums but its still rad).

Live Free or Die

Thx for starting this thread. I look forward to some good listening.

I grew up in SoCal, went to college in San Diego, and tastes in music have influenced the friends and relationships that I’ve developed. Jazz, world beat, and improvisational music have been a big part and influence in my life.

San Diego in the 90’s got me really into jazz with a dance rhythm beat such as trip hop, rare groove, old school ska, a lot of the world beat stuff, and jam band stuff. I used to see the greyboy allstars at least once a week (when they weren’t touring). They used to play a weekly gig with DJ Greyboy at a club called the green circle room in downtown San Diego.

We live in the sticks now and have 3 kids. So I do not see live music like I used to. We attend/volunteer at the local multi-day world music festival and try to see some free shows that swing on the improvisational music side of things.

Our small vinyl collection is growing at home. A recent addition to our collection (though we’ve had the CD since the 90’s), is Donald Byrd Ethiopian Nights:
    https://youtu.be/ZEXF7w7KOQ4

Some of YouTube channels or DJ’s that I regularly enjoy include Gilles Peterson, Boiler Room, and My Analog Journal.

The Jazz Mafia Orchestra is one of my favorite current music ensembles/groups. They’re based in the Bay Area. They have a ton of spin-off groups that are excellent.

Jazz. I'm into it.

Quote Originally Posted by been in it View Post

Jeff Parker, brought jazz guitar to early Tortoise which is a post rock band. His solo work is sweet.
    Saw Tortoise at small festival a couple summers ago, whoa, really awesome.

Joshua Redman - Elastic. Modern jazz-pop

Last edited by Self Jupiter; 12-18-2020 at 10:39 AM.

John Coltrane: Africa Brass, Impressions, A Love Supreme, Giant Steps
    Eric Dolphy: Out To Lunch, Iron Man, Out There, At the Five Spot.
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk: everything
    Miles Davis: Bitches Brew, Live Evil, On The Corner, Agharta, Jack Johnson, Dark Magus, Decoy, Kix (I was there).
    Art Pepper: The Route (w/Chet Baker), Smack Up, Today
    Charlie Parker: everything
    Zappa: Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny
    Weather Report: Black Market
    Soft Machine: Bundles
    Mahavishnu Orchestra: Inner Mounting Flame, Birds Of Fire
    Billy Cobham: Spectrum
    Larry Coryell: any 11th House album
    Herb Ellis, Joe Pass: 7 Come 11.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Stuff to know (and savor and enjoy):

Quintet, Jazz at Massey Hall: Gillespie, Parker, Powell, Mingus, Roach. The seminal bop album
    Bird and Diz: Parker and Gillespie
    Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
    Lest Young Trio: Lester Young Trio

Coltrane: Coltrane, A Love Supreme, Favorite Things, Blue Train, Giant Steps, Live At Birdland
    Mingus: Mingus Ah Um, Blues and Roots, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, Town Hall Concert, Let My Children Hear Music, Antibes
    Miles Davis: Miles Davis Quartet, Quintet, Bag's Groove, Cookin, Sketches of Spain, Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Miles and Coltrane

Then listen to a little by the other guys: Tatum, Wes Montgomery, Cannonball Adderly, Chet Baker, Ben Webster, Gerry Mulligan, Ornette Coleman, Roach, Powell, Wayne Shorter, Keith Jarrett (in Koln), Blakely, Bill Evans, Hancock, maybe some Armstrong and Ellington to see where it came from.

Some Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald to hear it sung right (especially Holiday's Last Recording)

AND THEN, never forget the greatest of them all. Mr Thelonious Monk (not of this earth.)
    Monks Music, Thelonious Himself, Mulligan Meets Monk, Alone in San Francisco, at the Blackhawk, 5 by Monk by 5, Orchestra at Town Hall, Monk's Dream, Solo Monk, Misterioso, Strait No Chaser, Underground ...

... and my favorite album of music of all time of any kind, Thelonious Monk's Brilliant Corners.

That list'll be a good start.

Thelonius in Action: Recorded at the Five Spot Cafe.

Coltrane, of course...

And Pharoah Sanders

And Count Basie...

Jazz. I'm into it.

I saw the master musicians of jajouka once. That next weekend, my neighbor sold me this album for a buck at a garage sale. I didn’t put it all together until I gave it a listen:

https://youtu.be/23QVY94tAj0