Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    this is the best album of all time, full stop
    Yep. 100% agreement.

I am a pretty big jazz fan. As a teen I was heavily into jazz fusion, like Weather Report and Return to Forever (and their constituent members, like Chick and Al and Wayne). Lucky enough to see both of them live, back in the day (although I missed Jaco).

Miles and Trane are the giants who will always be top of my list.

But others that I really dig, I'm more into the classics and not up on newer artists:
    Horace Silver
    Keith Jarrett
    Cannonball Adderly
    Art Blakey
    Mingus
    Charlie Parker
    Dave Brubeck
    Dizzy
    Duke
    Ella and Louis (I think of them together)
    McCoy Tyner (though some of his stuff is a little too out there for me)

Also dig some stuff that is somewhat jazz and somewhat not, like Bobby McFerrin and Rampal/Bolling. And latin jazz like Buena Vista Social Club. There is a little known band named Yeska that absolutely kills it. They have an album titled "Skafrocubanjazz" that is amazeballs, this is one song from it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnlp-mDu-Jo
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ thanks for the "Skafrocubanjazz" recommendation. I can ski to that fo sure.

Adding J.J. Johnson to the list because it's the fucking trombone played better than most play the trumpet. Unreal tone and precision...

Another miles davis in the collection. 4 sides of LP goodness.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201219_191711.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	353848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201219_191721.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	353849

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    man bb we should get together and spin some vinyl when this pandemic isn't fucking killing all of us.
    I'm into it!

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I just spent the last 2 hours recapping my beloved 507es cd player, and listening to all the posted youtube clips in the thread. So much good stuff. I need to print out a list and hunt more down. Keep it up!

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Pat Metheny Group ; start with American Garage & Travels

Al DiMeola; Elegant Gypsy

David Sanborn; As We Speak

Marcus Miller; M2

Stanley Clarke; School Days

Miles Davis; doo-bop

Jean-Luc Ponty; Imaginary Voyage

Dimeola/ McLaughlin/DeLucia; Friday night in San Francisco

I can go on and on

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post

Dimeola/ McLaughlin/DeLucia; Friday night in San Francisco
    Thought about listing that one, wasn't sure it qualified as jazz, but it's fantastic.

I saw them at the Beacon Theater decades ago, with Steve Morse opening solo (and joined them for the encore). One of the very best concerts of my life.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I have so so many years of jazz under my soul from playing and hearing it in my womb to 40 years of consuming with a passion, dancing 3 hours a week, three days week, the other taekwondo, from when I was 6 until through high school. I have memorized the cannons, deep cannons, and the progenitors. Seen enough shows to be a complete blind scientist at this point.

The only person that sits above my bed right above my head, the only person in my bedroom is Thelonious Monk.

If you want to know jazz, well, step inside the box: https://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Under.../dp/0679737618

If you really want to go deep into your soul, hit me up for a recommendation. I got you, and it has always made me the man I continue to be.

I just don't want this thread to be an idiot's guide to ... idiot.

This is a deep culture that takes decades to even understand. Glad you like your take 5 and miles. It goes really deep, so deep to challenge your existence as a person.

Ok, I'm a little bit passionate about it. Just a wee bit.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 12-20-2020 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thought about listing that one, wasn't sure it qualified as jazz, but it's fantastic.

I saw them at the Beacon Theater decades ago, with Steve Morse opening solo (and joined them for the encore). One of the very best concerts of my life.
    Get the follow up album too. It's fantastic.

Please don't get me started. This is a subject of deep fully existential importance.

I don't have that one, thanks, I should get it.

MTM, did I ever tell you that Ron Carter was my neighbor growing up? He lived 2 floors below me, I was friends with one of his kids. Alas, I didn't become a jazz fan until I was an adult. Otherwise I would have bugged the shit out of him in the elevator!

Jazz. I'm into it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I have so so many years of jazz under my soul from playing and hearing it in my womb to 40 years of consuming with a passion, dancing 3 hours a week, three days week, the other taekwondo, from when I was 6 until through high school. I have memorized the cannons, deep cannons, and the progenitors. Seen enough shows to be a complete blind scientist at this point.

The only person that sits above my bed right above my head, the only person in my bedroom is Thelonious Monk.

If you want to know jazz, well, step inside the box: https://www.amazon.com/Beneath-Under.../dp/0679737618

If you really want to go deep into your soul, hit me up for a recommendation. I got you, and it has always made me the man I continue to be.

I just don't want this thread to be an idiot's guide to ... idiot.

This is a deep culture that takes decades to even understand. Glad you like your take 5 and miles. It goes really deep, so deep to challenge your existence as a person.

Ok, I'm a little bit passionate about it. Just a wee bit.
    Heh. Love it. I grew up playing jazz saxophone. Scroll back to my post - it reflects the same as what you are saying. Jazz got me through a decade of my life. It matters to me.

It’s so fun to find something you love and then go chasing it down rabbit holes. Like when I realized Sonny Rollins was a genius there was so much to discover following that down well-worn streets and dead ends alike.

I still say start with the giants and golden era that I posted, then follow that forward and backward in time so you can understand how they got there and where it went.

My lively wife played classical piano till she went to college and she just doesn’t like jazz. She loves jam bands and blues and when Branford played with the Dead, just not jazz. It’s a bummer.

Spotify has made things so much better. Used to be just constant searching for and buying CDs to try to trace the lineage, and it took forever because it was so hard to find certain things. Now you just dial it up. Awesome.

And yeah, I agree, no one approaches Monk. Mingus, Davis, Coltrane, Bird, Diz, Tyner, they were all incredible giants, but Monk stands above them all.

He is the greatest of all time. He can change reality with one note. One note that no one else would ever dare play, and one he makes work perfectly.

Thelonious.

https://youtu.be/64osskbLEXA

Love jazz.

Please listen to and support public radio stations KCSM San Mateo and KKJZ Long Beach (used to be KLON), there are not many 24 hour/7 day Jazz stations left in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Love jazz.

Please listen to and support public radio stations KCSM San Mateo and KKJZ Long Beach (used to be KLON), there are not many 24 hour/7 day Jazz stations left in the U.S.
    Ha! I was just going to post about KCSM-FM. My favorite radio station.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

listening to some Roy Eldridge live 1957 right now

my Free online source is jango.com
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Danno, no, you never shared that. Awesome. I lived across the street from Aaron Copeland. I wish I knew as much when I was listening to his records from right across the street.

And Al roker in the supermarket in his Pj's. Jk, but he was always the why is he in his Jammies guy.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

And we lost our jazz channel this year. Kuvo. I emailed the board. It's not coming back. Super bummed.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    My son has the same middle name for a reason.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't have that one, thanks, I should get it.

MTM, did I ever tell you that Ron Carter was my neighbor growing up? He lived 2 floors below me, I was friends with one of his kids. Alas, I didn't become a jazz fan until I was an adult. Otherwise I would have bugged the shit out of him in the elevator!
    that's pretty cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	822.3 KB 
ID:	354037

Miles, he was a good boy

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

right now Red Garland, Bill Evans, and Chet Baker on heavy rotation.

alright alright all the classics are amazing, no doubt, and i still have a good twenty years of jazz listening to do before i can even begin to comprehend the genre. very fair points. i am an interloper here; i played standup for years in highschool and college but fell out of jazz until fairly recently (~3ish years ago).

but - can i get some modern jazz stoke? even for you long-timers, i feel like it's worth giving some of these a spin:

nubya garcia's source - worth a listen - new this year. she's a great saxaphonist, super talented.

kamasi washington on KEXP, he's a total legend, well worth seeing in concert if you have the opportunity:

shabaka hutchings, in the castle of your skin - really talented bandleader with 3+ amazing projects, all of which are very distinct

Absolutely.

There are so many more. All good, old, dead, young, black, white, etc. That is what jazz is about. Creativity and inclusion, even despite it.

This is jazz music, and we require you to invest into this collective experience.