Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone ski the G3 SLAYR 114?

Based on the ski shape and description the G3 SLAYR 114 seems as though it's pretty stiff and meant for going straight. I am wondering if the ski gets kicked around in firmer snow because of it's lighter weight? Also, does it have enough tail rocker to let the tils loose in tighter trees?
    I like huge dumps.

Cool cool! They seem like a really popular ski...
    I like huge dumps.

My ski bro was a G3 dealer and he didnt like any G3 he ever skied, neither did his kid, i know another dealer who said they were kinda dead and he sold his pair off

consider a shop will be pressured by the sales dude to buy some skis in addition to the skin & binding order

i would look for something else, and G3 should get some better fucking skis made IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

But.... magnets!

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by goldengarbageman View Post
    Based on the ski shape and description the G3 SLAYR 114 seems as though it's pretty stiff and meant for going straight. I am wondering if the ski gets kicked around in firmer snow because of it's lighter weight? Also, does it have enough tail rocker to let the tils loose in tighter trees?
    The Synapse 109 and Empire Carbon 115, were (are) fun, versatile, make shitty (untracked) conditions skiable, soft snow touring skis. The Sendr was by all accounts a much more demanding, charging, in bounds focused ski. It seems possible that the Slayr is a return to form, not a hard snow ski, but possibly a blast in trees. However every review I’ve read makes me wonder if they actually skied them, I haven’t had my hands on em, and they sold out early.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    The Synapse 109 and Empire Carbon 115, were (are) fun, versatile, make shitty (untracked) conditions skiable, soft snow touring skis. The Sendr was by all accounts a much more demanding, charging, in bounds focused ski. It seems possible that the Slayr is a return to form, not a hard snow ski, but possibly a blast in trees. However every review I’ve read makes me wonder if they actually skied them, I haven’t had my hands on em, and they sold out early.
    I know a number of folks who really disliked the G3 skis initially. Complaining about them being hooky and skiing weird. But, after getting a base grind the skis changed completely, most of them changed their opinion on the skis for the better. Apparently the factory tune leaves some convexities on the base (common for a lot of manufacturers).

The SLAYR is probably the first ski that G3 has made since the Empire (even though I wouldn't have likely bought it) that I have had any interest in. They look pretty fun.
    I like huge dumps.

So any mag reviews on the slayr 114? Any other skis in this light / stiffish / 110+ category I should consider? The Helio doesn’t come in a long enough length for me.

You guys seen the Wildsnow review?

Yup. Which is why we are asking for mag reviews.

I think most of us have access to Google. .

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    So any mag reviews on the slayr 114? Any other skis in this light / stiffish / 110+ category I should consider? The Helio doesn’t come in a long enough length for me.
    I also have this question/problem. The published weights on the slayr are pretty damn light, 1740g for the 195, feels like it would be a bit of a miracle if it had any backbone at that weight. Blister has a blurb in their buyers guide on the 185. "Easy to ski" and won't "fold up immediately" when pushed. If I was an optimist I'd hope that they made the longer lengths stiffer. But I'm not.

Bump. Looking for mag reviews. Looking for a pow ski that I can take to AK this year. Only reviews I see are the ones on wildsnow which are interesting, but seem preliminary.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Dooley View Post
    Bump. Looking for mag reviews. Looking for a pow ski that I can take to AK this year. Only reviews I see are the ones on wildsnow which are interesting, but seem preliminary.
    Bump, any mags skied this thing?

I have the sorta predecessor to the Slayr, the Sendr. I think the Slayr is supposed to be a bit looser, wider and lighter version of the Sendr. I quite like the Sendr - it's got nice supportive tails and can charge pretty hard, but I would not call it a straight line missile. Much happier on edge than with the bases flat. Based off of the changes G3 made, I doubt the Slayr will inspire much confidence straight-lining or in firmer/shit snow, but I have not skied or even seen the Slayrs in person, so take all this with much salt.

I do really like the Sendrs in tight trees though. Low swing weight has its advantages and they have strong edge hold.

of all the skis to take to Alaska...

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    of all the skis to take to Alaska...
    What's that?

Not sure what the implication was, but I'm interested to hear it..

Damn, I came here hoping to find more reviews on these sticks, and the last post is from me... Anyone have some time on these?

I have the little brother, seekr 110, in tele mode. They are the best skis I’ve had. They seem to have discovered something, because I’ve not liked prior G3’s. Cannot speak to durability…but I’ve sold off just about all my other skis, as I just want to take these all the time now. PNW, and only tour in soft snow.

not bad sale on em right now: https://genuineguidegear.com/collect...actory-seconds

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Damn, I came here hoping to find more reviews on these sticks, and the last post is from me... Anyone have some time on these?
    They look great on paper and could be an awesome ski, but I’m yet to read/watch a proper review and I don’t know anyone who bought them to ask. I loved my Synapse 109s and I can get G3 at cost, but even I’m not going buy them without some confirmation of how they perform.

Anyone have some time on these?
    I've been sitting on this review for ages actually... its just a bit of an odd one.
    www.steffen.fyi/G3-Slayr
    Let me know if you have questions and I'll do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffenator View Post
    I've been sitting on this review for ages actually... its just a bit of an odd one.
    www.steffen.fyi/G3-Slayr
    All of my concerns confirmed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I bought the 190 cm Slayr last spring. Have enough days on them to give them a big thumbs up. It’s generally a pow touring ski for me (ATK C raiders, Skorpius II boots…but also Maestrale XT if I’m doing a few lift laps before hitting sidecountry).

I can look up my actual weight for them but I recall they were ~50 g over spec. I believe I mounted +1.5 cm. I’m 6’3”, 187 lbs. edit: actual weight with ATK c raider 12s and Freeride spacer is 2140 g / ski. Edit: mounted +0.5 cm mount.

Skiing behavior similar to other skis I’ve owned with that tip/forebody profile. Wet pow, dry pow, wind affected pow, sun crusted pow, they’ve seen a lot & have felt predictable and easy to ski yet can handle speed (for a touring ski obviously…this ain’t one of my 11-12 lb beefy skis). Mags here have probably seen my reviews on various Praxis, Moment, Volkl, DPS etc skis in the 112-124 range…I’ve been on a lot of fat skis & these do pretty well at getting a good blend of low weight, reasonable dampness, decent edge hold. I’ve not experienced any hookiness or weird behavior in less than ideal snow. Can ski them slashy & loose, or angulate them more and lay trenches. They feel a bit more precise than my 115 mm DPS RPC Chargers (currently called the Pagoda as I recall).

One of my skiing partners has had the 185s for 2+ seasons, also no complaints. Since we like to log some vertical, we do wish they were a bit lighter but so it goes. His positive experience was partly why I got these.

I dulled the edges near the rocker transition like I do with all skis but haven’t really had to bother with any special tuning measures.
    Last edited by frorider; 03-11-2024 at 02:05 PM.

If I had to pick one ski in my quiver most similar to the slayr 114 190, it’d be the GPO UL 192s. Both are designed to handle the occasionally weird PNW/Sierra snow. Actually now that I think about it, the Slayr has a bit more dampness on firm snow than the GPO UL, despite being lighter. I should do some side by side testing at a resort sometime.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steffenator View Post
    www.steffen.fyi/G3-Slayr
    Did you do any detuning? In particular I'm wondering if you dulled from contact points forward? In general my experience has been that tapered tips perform more predictably in breakable crust and other fucked up untracked 3d snow. Obviously not your experience with these. They do have a giant shovel relative to their waist, so there's that