Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

21/22 Gear Rumors

The turn radius numbers on those Salomon’s all seem to be really tight. I hope the one the snow feel is better than the numbers suggest. The QST Blank sounds fun.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Blank VS old rocker 2 108. Specs seem pretty similar in the long lengths.

I really like the QST 106, so I will try and not be too judgy on the 18m turn radius before I get to try them.

Salomon Blank
    Lengths: 178, 186, 192cm
    Shape:
    137/112/126 @ 178cm
    138/112/127 @ 186cm
    139/112/128 @ 192cm
    Radius:
    15.3m @ 178cm
    17m @ 186cm
    18m @ 192cm
    Core: solid poplar wood

Specs for 2016 rocker 2 108:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2A49658-B82C-4648-96CD-0568E7CC858A.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	358030

Decent weight on those blanks! Good to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    Decent weight on those blanks! Good to see.
    Sorry for the confusion the weights are for the rocker 2 108

I’d been hearing rumors about the qst blank. Looks good. I’ll say the 106 doesn’t ski like a tight radius ski, so hopefully the 112 will be the same. Bummer they’re discontinuing the 118, such a good ski.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’ll say the 106 doesn’t ski like a tight radius ski, so hopefully the 112 will be the same.
    The 181 QST106 has a 20-m radius and the 188 has a 22-m. They aren’t as tight in comparison.

I wanna know the weight on the QST Blank. Nothing matters til I hear that. Below 2000g and it's a touring only rig in my book. Hopefully it comes in right around 2200g.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    The 181 QST106 has a 20-m radius and the 188 has a 22-m. They aren’t as tight in comparison.
    From luke on NS: “ I wouldn't count it out just cause of the radius — it feels longer than it is on paper. Blank feels kinda like a mix between the QST 106 and the old Rocker2s. Nice amount of heft to it, too.”

Sounds fun to me

I think the last Salomon ski I was on had robots on it.
    I might have to take a look at these.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    I think the 1lb rule applies to hiking, not gliding - and I think it’s 4.6lbs on your torso generally equals 1lb on your feet. So I supposed 1lb per foot would be 9lbs total, but not if you are gliding, since it doesn’t require you to pick your entire foot off the ground to glide.

Anyway - most of us could afford to lose 9lbs+ so it’s a moot point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It 100% applies to gliding

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    The turn radius numbers on those Salomon’s all seem to be really tight. I hope the one the snow feel is better than the numbers suggest. The QST Blank sounds fun.
    5 dimensional ski. The side cut radius figure does’nt mean shit. U can’t ski gates with these and that’s not what they r meant for...

This type of ski is carve hard- slide 30-50 feet sideways when u need, straight line than slow it down and hammer turns thru glades as needed. Pop out of heli, slay spine, straight line avy slow down hammer bumps back to lift. Basically do all ski but doesn’t come with instruction manual. If ur the guy asking ur instructor how to ski these reading ski magazine about reviews they aren’t for u...

These Skis take a creative approach....

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    5 dimensional ski. The side cut radius figure does’nt mean shit. U can’t ski gates with these and that’s not what they r meant for...

This type of ski is carve hard- slide 30-50 feet sideways when u need, straight line than slow it down and hammer turns thru glades as needed. Pop out of heli, slay spine, straight line avy slow down hammer bumps back to lift. Basically do all ski but doesn’t come with instruction manual. If ur the guy asking ur instructor how to ski these reading ski magazine about reviews they aren’t for u...

Lost me at “pop out of heli, slay spine...etc”. Maybe in my dreams. I liked the versatility of the 188 QST 106. I hope you are right about these. Seems much more appealing than the QST118.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post

Reads like a 24yo using his phone in an attempt to sell skis to people who don't work for a living. None of your target market is going to read this, homie. Go back to your hot tub and let us discuss gear.

I don’t care what the marketing copy says, the blank with a 17m turn radius is in no way going to be comparable to the 118 with a 26m radius. Sure you might not notice 2-3 meters difference, but 9 meters is huge and definitely noticeable.

I am wondering how much Kastle has/will change now that it has been bought out by Sporten CZ and moving the majority of its production capabilities to the Czech Republic?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Salomon Blank
    Lengths: 178, 186, 194cm
    Shape:
    137/112/126 @ 178cm
    138/112/127 @ 186cm
    139/112/128 @ 192cm
    Radius:
    15.3m @ 178cm
    17m @ 186cm
    18m @ 192cm
    Core: solid poplar wood

Freeskier Chris Rubens, who spent countless hours with Salomon's ski engineers developing the QST Blank, reports that the design team has combined the best features of two great ski models - the tip of the QST 106 and the tail of the QST 118 - to create an all-rounder -Creating skis that simply initiate turns and floats through the deepest powder, but at the same time reacts precisely when you have to reduce the speed with a quick slide turn.
    Looks like they’ve reproduced the DPS Wailer 112 Foundation, which isn’t a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    New K2 topsheets, reckoner 112 & 122, Mindbender 99, 108, 116
    Attachment 357981
    Swatches from an Austin Powers set?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Yeah...the K2 Graphics team is on ‘shrooms...again.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    I don’t care what the marketing copy says, the blank with a 17m turn radius is in no way going to be comparable to the 118 with a 26m radius. Sure you might not notice 2-3 meters difference, but 9 meters is huge and definitely noticeable.
    the qst 118 with its 26m radius is one of the carviest pow skis i've ever been on. get in the air, start the turn initiation in the rocker area, let the ski twist and something magic happens as you lay the rest of the ski into the turn (some give required in the groomer). obviously the strong tail of the 118 helps. RIP QST 118, chalk up another one for climate change.

also radius numbers are measured on paper/computers. i hear the skiing there sucks.

can we talk about the 194 size on this blank? is this the gen z version of the el dicktater?
    bumps are for poor people

#1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    No. Pop art. Like Warhol and Kaufman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    I personally see a hole in the market that only the Atomic Backland/Hawx almost but not quite fills. I want a Zero G in a narrow fit, with a moldable shell that can be easily heat molded to a wider fit. I could not get the Zero G to work for me because it would blister me badly because it was just too loose on my heel but was correct length wise.

If that is this boot, sweet. If Atomic makes a slightly heavier/stiffer Backland "Free" or something with the narrow fit, sweet. Even if they just add a buckle over the top of the foot to stiffen the boot up, that would be just fine.
    please this , something, anything narrow for the touring world. I’m pretty much making the backland carbon work, but still may need a new liner to take up space, and while I’m less than a single finger length wise (which I like) it’s so roomy in the forefoot. Heel hold has been solid/ok, but not great. But the 98mm last it claims, it is not.

Having said that, might try to find a leftover pair of S Labs, most people seem to feel those are closest to narrow.

Anyway, to your point. Make a truly narrow touring boot.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    please this , something, anything narrow for the touring world. I’m pretty much making the backland carbon work, but still may need a new liner to take up space, and while I’m less than a single finger length wise (which I like) it’s so roomy in the forefoot. Heel hold has been solid/ok, but not great. But the 98mm last it claims, it is not.

Having said that, might try to find a leftover pair of S Labs, most people seem to feel those are closest to narrow.

Anyway, to your point. Make a truly narrow touring boot.
    The S lab mtn is indeed narrow, but the ankle pocket is big and heel hold is horrible. Also the tow box doesn’t seem shaped for normal people, almost everyone needs a 6th toe punch in them. Instep is low so that may help them feel smaller. Overall I have a hard time recommending that boot to anyone.

Agreed. The only thing narrow about this boot is the toes. We stopped selling them because everyone needs their heels tightened and their toes expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    The S lab mtn is indeed narrow, but the ankle pocket is big and heel hold is horrible. Also the tow box doesn’t seem shaped for normal people, almost everyone needs a 6th toe punch in them. Instep is low so that may help them feel smaller. Overall I have a hard time recommending that boot to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Reads like a 24yo using his phone in an attempt to sell skis to people who don't work for a living. None of your target market is going to read this, homie. Go back to your hot tub and let us discuss gear.
    Lol-biased judgement by a suit but far from the truth....

I’m almost double the age- I have no target market. I have nothing to do with the ski industry besides I like skiing and I ski a lot....

I’d love to go back to a hot tub but the tech in these skis keep making me stick my landings...

Just a little insight for square heads like you.

Now get back to your turn radius discussion, the groomers are waiting for you....