Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Dolphin whacker - make good on your payment.
    He used to brag here that he pulled down $120+/hr doing privates at Stowe. How come he can't pay for stuff? He's gonna have to work extra hard to get banned here. I don't put it past him, but he's got a tall task.

Anyway, back on topic. I see Atomic has a new 2022 ski designed specifically for North American snow. Some of the shittiest snow I've ever skied on has been in Europe and don't even get me started on that crap they have in NZ, it makes 5 day old VT snow look like Utah.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Anyway, back on topic. I see Atomic has a new 2022 ski designed specifically for North American snow. Some of the shittiest snow I've ever skied on has been in Europe and don't even get me started on that crap they have in NZ, it makes 5 day old VT snow look like Utah.
    Every major company has been trying to make their own version of the "soul 7" for the past 5+ years. All it has really done is make the all-mountain category so fucking bland. The amount of 98-110 underfoot skis that are damn near exactly the same meh bullshit is silly. And now they are making them lighter and lighter trying to appeal to the Shift market that, "might take them into backcountry." Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    And now they are making them lighter and lighter trying to appeal to the Shift market that, "might take them into backcountry." Bleh
    This this this. A distant buddy of mine got into skiing and somehow walked out of the store with Scarpa Mastrales, shifts, and the little brother to the soul 7 whatever it's called. I would like to talk to the shop guy and ask him how he can recommend a beginner skier in the backcountry. Makes no sense, plus dangerous not to mention.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    This this this. A distant buddy of mine got into skiing and somehow walked out of the store with Scarpa Mastrales, shifts, and the little brother to the soul 7 whatever it's called. I would like to talk to the shop guy and ask him how he can recommend a beginner skier in the backcountry. Makes no sense, plus dangerous not to mention.

i hope he walked out of there knowing he needed beacon, probe, shovel, too.
    swing your fucking sword.

Gross malpractice. Especially with the Maestrale, terrible inbounds boot for a beginner

Money is money. $600 for bindings is more than $180 for some attack 12s. Lots of shifts being mounted for people who circled the type I block on the Mount form.

Most of them will be touring up hill at ski areas and other non consequential terrain. It’s a free country, the range of experiences which constitute ski touring is pretty broad. We don’t have to take a gate keeper responsibility for every REI card holding muppet who likes to do shit outside when it’s cold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Gross malpractice. Especially with the Maestrale, terrible inbounds boot for a beginner
    So...lots of terribly mismatched touring setups on the 2nd hand market in 21/22.

oh the fuckin horror! get over yourself grundo. there's more than one way to do it.
    bumps are for poor people

Posted earlier in the Gaper thread. I was eyeing up a ski bunny in the lift line. Norrona head to toe, shifts with touring boots, forgot what ski's. Later saw her snowplowing down a Timberline blue (so a green). It's amazing what I am seeing people on this year.
    Training for Alpental

A quick glance around a VT resort lift line I'd guess around 25% are on some sort of a/t gear this year. The Maestrales stand out. That's a lot of $ being spent to ski in the sticks and pricker bushes. But if it keeps companies in business during a pandemic, I guess it's ok.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

i saw a cat down here on shifts and soul 7s. s/lab mtn boots.

no poles. lapping the park. in fkn nc.
    swing your fucking sword.

My boss, a good dude, called and asked about AT stuff. Solid type II skier. His goal was to skin up the ski hill prior to opening. I recommended he put shifts on his mindbenders, get some skins and cochise and have some fun. He asked if he should get a beacon, probe and shovel. Told him to take an avy 1 course and see what he thinks. He said nah, just going to skin up the resort. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A quick glance around a VT resort lift line I'd guess around 25% are on some sort of a/t gear this year. The Maestrales stand out. That's a lot of $ being spent to ski in the sticks and pricker bushes. But if it keeps companies in business during a pandemic, I guess it's ok.
    How many of those people actually own skins?
    What do you think the Shifts sold to Skins sold ratio is?
    The Marker was the king of the frame binding until Salomon released the Guardian in 2012, our shop sold more Guardians that first year than any other shop in Canada. I remember doing a sales/inventory report back then and we sold 1 pair of skins for every 13 pairs of guardians thats first season.
    Yes, the backcountry scene was very different back in 2012, but still everyone was buying the latest greatest backcountry binding but not skins? How were they walking uphill in their new guardians?

A more important question is how many people with skins can dolphin turn?

My buddy once duct taped rag wool socks around his skis as skins, and it worked!
    crab in my shoe mouth

I dunno... nothing wrong with people buying aspirational gear. Gotta start somewhere. buy the bindings now just in case, then buy the skins a day or two before you decide to go for your first tour. I get it.
    Like none of you have ever bought skis too long and stiff, or set your DIN too high cuz you just might go bigger than ususal.

I see lots of shifts at whistler/blackcomb which will likely never walk uphill more than twice a year. Or maybe not until springtime. or not until a few seasons from now. that's all good man.

as for walking boots? well shit... sometimes dancing on the bar is just as important as skiing.

Now they just need to make those shifts with a little bit less fuckery to setup for that target market. Who wants to buy mine ;-)?

The more "soul 7" copies there are for the mid market, the more likely there are brands to create chargers as a counterpoint. instead of somewhere sloppy between those two.

I don't understand why people don't buy for the conditions they actually ski on.

^ you're not wrong Judo. It's still a funny trend like any other though.

Okay, so maybe its not as bad I thought. I just assumed if you were buying shifts and mastrales you'd be going into the backcountry. And yes going willy nilly into the backcountry is a horror. But if the shifts to skins ratio really is 10ish:1 then yeah whatever.

Back on new gear, other than Scott, any E1 airbags coming out in 40-45L sizing?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Back on new gear, other than Scott, any E1 airbags coming out in 40-45L sizing?
    Alpride E1 SuperCap 40 (not sure if it's available in the US though)

When they were fairly new to the market the local shop sold out 2 orders of Maestrale at msrp but had a stack of Virus ( the boot not covid) sitting there on sale and discounted so i asked why ... buddy said they don't fit anyone

I think the maestrale might fit a lot of people, my clue would be that they don't fit me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Lange 21/22 XT3 Pro Tour comes in three models - 130, 110, 100
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2021-02-10 kl. 20.45.22.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	362251

Dynastar 21/22 - as described earlier, sadly no new sizes for 108/118

Name:	Skjermbilde 2021-02-10 kl. 20.44.00.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	362252

I rather enjoyed this closeup of the hybrid core - kinda explains why it feels so special/dissimilar to a lot of other skis out there.

Name:	Skjermbilde 2021-02-10 kl. 20.44.56.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	749.9 KB 
ID:	362253

Get over yourselves guys. The ski companies dont make money with the 10 pairs of bodacious they sell. Be happy the shift sells so well, it drives prices down and funds further innovation. I for one am happy all those people don’t actually tour. It could get crowded out there.

Thanks for posting the MFree 99 info. Lighter and tighter turning radius than I was hoping for so I’ll probably just go for the “slightly too long” 192cm MFree 108 on Spring deals instead! Lol

Dynastar 21/22 - as described earlier, sadly no new sizes for 108/118

Name:	Skjermbilde 2021-02-10 kl. 20.44.00.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	362252