Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    So over the “I don’t like skis with a radius under 25m”... you guys are so hard core and so fast you should be getting team issue skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
    So over the “I don’t like skis with a radius under 25m”... you guys are so hard core and so fast you should be getting team issue skis.

I don’t like fat skis with a turn radius under 24m

I am fine with smaller turn radii on narrower skis

It must suck to suck bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A longer radius is a surfier (and more fun) ski in the pow at slower speeds.

And at high speeds it arcs instead of hooks.

It’s okay— I didn’t understand this until I had a ski over r30 either.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Maybe they're just faster than you.

I don't like non-tapered, traditionally shaped skis over ~185 with a sub-20m radius. If I want to make more turns, I would rather ski a shorter ski. If it's some five-point wonderboard with tons of rocker and taper, the stated radius becomes less relevant because you're not carving turns like you would on a full-length sidecut. Your effective edge is equivalent to a snowblade, so it's gonna have a tighter radius, and you're presumably skiing in softer snow or slashing turns. If I want to ski a long ski, with minimal or no taper it's because I want to ski at highway speeds, and a sub-25m radius is less than helpful in that situation.

Can we get back to talking about next year's shit?

I like a negative radius but you can't win em all.

Nothing hardcore about a long radius, they tend to pivot better and handle variable crap much better than a short radius at more than medium speeds.

21/22 Gear Rumors

Floss your mind infinity turn radius is where it’s at

Also I prefer skis with big turn radius. Took one run on the blank. Felt like a good ski

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A longer radius is a surfier (and more fun) ski in the pow at slower speeds. And at high speeds it arcs instead of hooks.
    This. When you're cooking down a groomer making big turns and trying to rail, an 18m radius ski isn't going to feel solid on edge; it's going to feel like the ski is nervous, noisy, and breaking loose at different points along the edge. An appropriate radius ski will be quiet, feel solid along the full length, and carve clean. Just like the 18m ski feels when making tighter turns. It's just physics.

you kooks wouldn’t know speed if it hit you up the nose.

and

saying that a tight turn radius makes a ski more maneuverable is a fraction of the story.

like I said before, the skiing on geo charts sucks.

can we get back to focusing the hate on the graphic and how gapers are gonna run ova Stucky’s tails?
    bumps are for poor people

Someone should call up the athletes and tell them they won't be able to do anything cool on the new ski.
    Looks like another ski which still won't be as good as a rustler 11... Haven't skied it yet but my guess is the biggest issue for 'charging steep faces' will remain whatever is occupying the roughly six feet of space over the ski.

We're talking about it because its actually new in a year when almost nothing else is.
    Salomon Blank, Lange ~1300g boot, pretty much the only two things I bothered to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Someone should call up the athletes and tell them they won't be able to do anything cool on the new ski.
    Looks like another ski which still won't be as good as a rustler 11... Haven't skied it yet but my guess is the biggest issue for 'charging steep faces' will remain whatever is occupying the roughly six feet of space over the ski.

We're talking about it because its actually new in a year when almost nothing else is.
    Salomon Blank, Lange ~1300g boot, pretty much the only two things I bothered to remember.
    Wait......Lange 1300g boot??? Tell me more

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    Wait......Lange 1300g boot??? Tell me more
    I love my Langes but having to climb 3500 feet in the garbage they call liners has me skeptical

Re- too much side cut. While I like hauling skis, most of my clients like to do short swing or carved SL sort turns & I end up skiing a bunch of 13-16m frontside or race skis often. Just detune the shovels & a 13.3 m ski will behave substantially better and you will not have to worry about them getting twitchy in longer arcs. So an 18m Blank should be no problemo!!

Carry on & always Best to get the longest length available in red.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post

I skied the Blank and thought it was a great ski. Replacement for my 2 pairs of Rustler 11's, not so much. Have not seen or weighed the Lange XT3 Pro Tour. Have seen, put on, and weighed the Dalbello Quantum Free Factory 130 but not skied it.

My years of beatering around the west have led me to settle on 110ish underfoot for a true daily driver ski. Glad to see that width getting some more attention again. Will be interested to check out the new blank and the new kore 111. I'll echo everyones sediment towards a longer radius, but just a few laps on any hill at those turn radius's and it's not hard to see we are an outlier group. Seems like only moment and 4frnt put out longer radius skis in 'narrower' widths and the bigger brands are happy to let them. If head would just make the new kore 111 in the monster layup with a 24m radius I'd be a very happy skier.

Shop owner buddy of mine skied next years Kore 93 and said it was a much more lively, interesting ski than the previous version, even in pretty crappy conditions. Anxious to be more info on the Kore line as the current iteration has seemed somewhat uninspired throughout...which is my general take on most of Heads skis over the past several years. They do the job but there are always more interesting and effective options

Quote Originally Posted by FullStop View Post
    I like a negative radius but you can't win em all.

Nothing hardcore about a long radius, they tend to pivot better and handle variable crap much better than a short radius at more than medium speeds.
    Yes, this is very true.....until you add taper.
    Then you are just going to have a smaller turn radius because the concave part doesn't run almost the whole length of the ski like it would do without it. Yeah, 20m turn radius on a 110mm ski would be awful if the sidecut went tip to tail. That would be like 150-110-140 in a 185. Approximately. My old Enforcers can be a tough in some tighter spots with its 21m radius, but the Q Lab, though it is bigger, longer, fatter, stiffer, and has a smaller turning radius is actually better in moguls and variable snow because of other factors.
    Just looking at turn radius on skis is a little like just looking at head angle on a bike.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yes, this is very true.....until you add taper.
    Then you are just going to have a smaller turn radius because the concave part doesn't run almost the whole length of the ski like it would do without it. Yeah, 20m turn radius on a 110mm ski would be awful if the sidecut went tip to tail. That would be like 150-110-140 in a 185. Approximately. My old Enforcers can be a tough in some tighter spots with its 21m radius, but the Q Lab, though it is bigger, longer, fatter, stiffer, and has a smaller turning radius is actually better in moguls and variable snow because of other factors.
    Just looking at turn radius on skis is a little like just looking at head angle on a bike.
    No. Sidecut is sidecut with or without taper.

As speed increases we have two options—
    A) carve to slarve
    B) slarve to carve

A) on a low radius ski we can easily carve at low speeds. This is the ski’s sweet-spot. As speed increases we have to release the sidecut and force a slarve. This is painful and hooky.

B) on a high radius ski we can easily slarve at low speeds. As speed increases we can enter the sidecut and let it carve. This is the ski’s sweet-spot.

Low radius = a low speed sweet spot.
    High radius = a high speed sweet spot.

So— how fun is your ski when it’s not in its sweet-spot?

Low radius skis are only fun when going slow. They suck at slarving high speeds.

High radius skis are kinda fun slarving low speeds. They’re awesome at arcing high speeds.

All any designer did with a high taper ski is set the release points closer to my foot. I still have to release it when going slow (low radius) or when going fast (high radius.)

This is why the Renegade, Protest, and Billy Goat are such coveted powder skis.

If you’ve never experienced a long radius powder ski, please do so. The naïveté is palpable.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I skied the Blank and thought it was a great ski. Replacement for my 2 pairs of Rustler 11's, not so much.......
    The new 21/22 Scott Pure is looking good for this category.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    No. Sidecut is sidecut with or without taper.

As speed increases we have two options—
    A) carve to slarve
    B) slarve to carve

A) on a low radius ski we can easily carve at low speeds. This is the ski’s sweet-spot. As speed increases we have to release the sidecut and force a slarve. This is painful and hooky.

B) on a high radius ski we can easily slarve at low speeds. As speed increases we can enter the sidecut and let it carve. This is the ski’s sweet-spot.

Low radius = a low speed sweet spot.
    High radius = a high speed sweet spot.

So— how fun is your ski when it’s not in its sweet-spot?

Low radius skis are only fun when going slow. They suck at slarving high speeds.

High radius skis are kinda fun slarving low speeds. They’re awesome at arcing high speeds.

All any designer did with a high taper ski is set the release points closer to my foot. I still have to release it when going slow (low radius) or when going fast (high radius.)

This is why the Renegade, Protest, and Billy Goat are such coveted powder skis.

If you’ve never experienced a long radius powder ski, please do so. The naïveté is palpable.
    true on hard snow. But in powder you don't truly carve. (If carve is defined as tail edge follows exact same path as tip edge.) So maybe in powder it really doesn't matter much? (Though I too prefer larger radii)

New for 21/22 - ATK Freeraider 16 (9-16 din)

Haha all this drama on the Sally ski, pretty obvious to see exactly what people are commenting about in that IG video by Josh Daiek posted above. Once he got them up to speed the tips constantly wanted to engage in a smaller turn radius and he had to redirect them ski a larger turn radius.

Reposting the link
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CKmZTCnp...d=jy548pt8tiuc

Again this ski will be rad for the masses because 99% of skiers can’t arch GS turns down windbuff but those attributes certainly turn me off to the ski!

Curious if Salomon is coming up with a replacement for the X-Alps or MTN boots any time soon?

Nice, I am super pumped about the Dalbello Quantum Free. I really hope it is a less finicky La Sportiva Skorpius.