Ski Base Question

I've had a few skis/boards come across my bench recently that have white film/residue/patina near the edges. I've only seen this on skis where the base has been oxidized/burned (my terms, may not be accurate) but usually a good scraping, metal brushing, etc. takes it out. Could it be a cheaper base material (extruded(do they even do this anymore) v. sintered) plus not taking care of the equipment? BTW, these don't belong to me and are cheaper kids' stuff.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Most simple answer is skis start showing they need wax towards the edges because edges contact snow more than if the ski was ran flat all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Most simple answer is skis start showing they need wax towards the edges because edges contact snow more than if the ski was ran flat all the time.
    Yes, but even after a decent wax they almost immediately, ie one short day, have the issue again. Seems like the base material isn't taking the wax? Had this happen on higher end skis back in the day, but that was due too someone using way to hot an iron and sealing up the base...

Yeah man those are just dry or perhaps the pores are blocked.

Use one of those blackhead peelie strips like ladies use on their noses. It'll be like a forest of tiny wax trees.

Or a light stone grind.

Quote Originally Posted by scmartin69 View Post
    Could it be a cheaper base material (extruded(do they even do this anymore) v. sintered) plus not taking care of the equipment?
    Yes and yes. Extruded base material is still used in price point skis and snowboards, including kid's skis. There aren't really pores to hold the wax to start with, so it doesn't penetrate.

One day is too fast. Like those dudes said, either shitty or dirty bases not holding.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Top and bottom pics are extruded bases. You can tell just by looking at them. Middle pic is a little fuzzy, but I'm guessing it's the same issue.

Scotch brite pads FTW.

Further investigation shows the base pictured is in fact extruded...
    Thanks for playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Top and bottom pics are extruded bases. You can tell just by looking at them. Middle pic is a little fuzzy, but I'm guessing it's the same issue.

Scotch brite pads FTW.
    What's the giveaway that they're extruded?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I think he's referring to the "glossy" appearance, though to be fair a just waxed and well-brushed sintered base looks like that, too.

You can tell by feel when trying to break up the glazed surface with a sanding block or steel scraper, the extruded base is much denser and harder to the touch.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    Tuning a billion rental skis for decades...

Sintered bases don’t get base burn in the same way, and they have a different sheen. Extruded bases are always easy to get “shiny”, and they take a structure really well, but it doesn’t last long since they won’t hold wax to help with abrasion resistance. Some touring and BC skis are still made with extruded bases, because they take a beating, are easy to repair and will work without wax in many conditions. So they’re perfect for rental applications where you’re going to have a large number of units being skied every single day, or where you don’t need max speed or won’t be able/willing to maintain your skis on a regular basis.

Saw this topic and thought of the other kind of Ski BASE.

My advise was going to be don't, its killed too many of my heroes.

Thankfully you are looking for tuning advice.

They look dry to me.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    Some touring and BC skis are still made with extruded bases, because they take a beating, are easy to repair and will work without wax in many conditions. So they’re perfect for rental applications where you’re going to have a large number of units being skied every single day, or where you don’t need max speed or won’t be able/willing to maintain your skis on a regular basis.
    Not many touring skis, they get real money for those these days and Phantomed sintered bases are the rage (or do you mean "fishscale" type "backcountry" skis?)

Mostly rentals, kids, and park-specific price point models. A foam-core kid's ski or a twin tip with a 3 degree base bevel pretty much may as well have "extruded" written on the topsheet.

Ski Base Jump

[URL]https://youtu.be/hexIX0ZBEo0[URL]

Can't embed
    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by F#*k you cat; 12-23-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Ski Base Jump

Eek, I can't even watch that stuff anymore, especially the ski BASE > windsuit flying. Makes me cringe every time.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    Ski Base Jump

Can't embed

To imbed, instead of ‘URL’ in the link in your post, use ‘video’ in brackets ahead of the url and bracket-backslash-video-bracket so it looks like this [ video ]YouTube url[ /video ]<-but take out the spaces I put in the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post

To imbed, instead of ‘URL’ in the link in your post, use ‘video’ in brackets ahead of the url and bracket-backslash-video-bracket so it looks like this [ video ]YouTube url[ /video ]<-but take out the spaces I put in the brackets.
    Or you use the tools in the box or the right side - second from right side after the Wrap [QUOTE] is the video icon- looks like old film strip...
    Attached Images Attached Images