Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks for all on their feedback on the OR ubertube's - just ordered one.. so far the masks either just wet and ice up, or require goggles to go up on helmet on lift (shitty in snowing and or blustery wind conditions) so maybe this will be it

First day with the OR face mask - in black
    With filter insert

Location - Mt Bachelor
    18-20*F, wind 35-50mph, blowing snow, otherwise sunny
    mask over ears, helmet over that, vents closed, goggles over nose of mask
    Set it and didn't touch for two hours

Results
    - No fogging with goggles.
    - No problems with breathing or air flow
    - Face/neck stayed warm - no chill, even though the perimeter of the mask got damp.
    - After two hours the filter was saturated with moisture. Not a problem for comfort just kinda gross when you take it off.

Way mo bettah than blackstrap balaclava

My wife sez it makes me look like the Martian from the old Warner Bros cartoons. I said the Martian never had a GSA sticker or a BBI Safety Official sticker on his helmet.

Anyone have Julbo goggles? Thinking I might go a different direction and not focus on the mask angle but the goggle angle.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Face mask that doesn't fog up goggles

I grabbed one of these one day from a sports store and have been really happy with the results for skiing.

https://sanituf.com/reusable-civilia...mask-3-layers/

I actually had just bought it for a city mask, because I had lost mine. They had some nice prints, not just black. I took it skiing and had no problem with goggles fogging up, and really didn’t mind skiing with it. I think the extra bit of material around the nose helps to stop it from fogging up goggles. I find after a couple of hours it gets a little wet so I just swap it out for another one. They are so cheap I have two that I keep strictly for skiing at the ski hill. Where I live you have to wear a mask that covers your nose so this works and it seems very ‘covid compliant’. Hopefully we won’t have to ski with face masks forever so this seems like a good and cheap stop gap solution for resort riding while respecting public health guidelines.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Anyone have Julbo goggles? Thinking I might go a different direction and not focus on the mask angle but the goggle angle.

i’m moving to some julbo snipers next session, first tomahawk is gonna suck!

Julbo Gogs

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post

I have been using one for 2 years now for ski touring - works well for wind and light snow, but if it is really snowing, I had to close the gogs and they were just like any other gog that fogs up.. I still highly recommend them as in the open mode, they ventilated well for the uphill skinning, and easy to close for the downhill. Also, I only used them for spring ski tours, so do not know how they work for very cold temps - in very cold, I go with fan goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Recreationpro View Post
    I have been using one for 2 years now for ski touring - works well for wind and light snow, but if it is really snowing, I had to close the gogs and they were just like any other gog that fogs up.. I still highly recommend them as in the open mode, they ventilated well for the uphill skinning, and easy to close for the downhill. Also, I only used them for spring ski tours, so do not know how they work for very cold temps - in very cold, I go with fan goggles.
    Who da fuck skins uphill wearing gogs? Is it the Same dude in his gorerex shell, full gauntlet gloves and helmet?? Pro tip: Don’t do it. Take 30 secs and Throw the hat and sunnies back on

Trolls.... Gulbo Gogs

Quote Originally Posted by grrrmountainman View Post
    Who da fuck skins uphill wearing gogs? Is it the Same dude in his gorerex shell, full gauntlet gloves and helmet?? Pro tip: Don’t do it. Take 30 secs and Throw the hat and sunnies back on

Real Pro Tips...:

https://www.wildsnow.com/28221/teste...goggle-review/

https://skimo.co/julbo-aerospace-goggles

OR medium ubertube worked great for me today, no fogging.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've switched to my Athleta mask for the past two outings. Both times the temps were in the high 20's and I was able to avoid issues with fogging for the most part.

I have taken to putting my goggles on the defroster in the vehicle while putting my ski boots on and getting geared up to hit the slopes. That heats up the interior of the lens. Put the goggles on with the mask up, which keeps the interior of the lens warm while walking to the lift. No issues with fogging. Yesterday with temps in the 30F-32F range at the base, and standing in line for 20 minutes, no issues with fogging. The thing is, you can not introduce cold air into the goggles. You have to leave them in the down over face position, and you don't want to mess with your mask either and risk getting cold air into the interior of the goggle.

I made that mistake of bringing the mask down to clear my nose, and the mask fogged up within about 20 seconds. It was pretty much impossible to stop the fogging after that. I had to go into the lodge bathroom and let the lens warm up again. You can put the lens into your ski jacket pocket, best if it's an interior pocket to warm it up and clear out the moisture that way.

I've also hear of some people using some medical tape to place on the upper part of the mask and face to provide a decent seal to keep your breath from seeping up and into the goggles.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth on the fogging issue.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Anybody used/fondled the icebreaker mask? Thoughts?

I have one from a grocery store I bought for $1.95. It’s the thinnest mask I’ve ever worn. Never fogs. It’s like heavy nylon material. I wear it when riding lifts but keep an alternate if I expect to be indoors for any amount of time.

Adding my COVID mask experiences in order of preference:

1.) Outdoor Research Ubertube, Midweight - Definitely the best one I've used this season. It's comfy, stays in place, and can easily be pulled down and back up on a whim. It has an adjustable strap for sizing too, so you don't have to try to guess your size when you're buying it. With regards to comfort, it feels breathable if you keep the top of the mask closer to the tip of your nose, but if you pull it up too far, then the loose fabric in the middle of the mask will get sucked into your nostrils. As for cons: 1.) The insertable filter can get knocked out of place over time (though, it's more resilient than OR's Adrenaline Mask), and 2.) The earstraps can feel uncomfortable and snag if you don't adjust them right, but taking the extra time to adjust them properly fixes that.

2.) Outdoor Research Adrenaline Mask - I almost like this mask. It's extremely breathable (even with the insertable filter), and you can tie the lanyard around the back of your head to give the mask a snug fit almost like an N-95. But, the big deal breaker for me with this mask was that the insertable filter is very easy to jar out of place. If you take the mask off, or if you even adjust the mask on your face too much, the filter will fall out of place. On almost every day of skiing, by the end of the day, the filter had crumpled into a corner of the mask. I think applying a small amount of tape might rectify the finicky filter placement, but it also doesn't get rid of the fact that the filter directly touches your mouth (which contrasts with the Ubertube which has a fabric backing between your face and the filter). I really wanted to like this thing, but the filter issues bumped it down for me.

3.) Under Armour Sportsmask - The fabric is real comfortable, and I like the structured feeling of the mask too. It's easy to breath, and it doesn't fold into your face. But, I've had fitting issues with my mask. The large size tends to come loose at the ears if I move my jaw or talk too much. And, the smaller size doesn't seem to have a great seal around my face. Situations like this make me appreciate the adjustability of the Ubertube and Adrenaline Masks. I think the UA Sportsmask could be a solid mask if it fits your face, but, good luck with figuring that out before buying it...

4.) Generic Cloth Masks - Sucks. Tends to get sucked into your mouth while breathing, even if there's a metal nose clip to shape around your nose. I wouldn't bother.

All of these masks got pretty wet by the end of the day. I think that's just the nature of a warm breath on cold air. I get that effect even with a normal balaclava, so I'm not counting the dampness against any of these masks.

Good results using the OR Adrenaline with no paper filter while actually skiing (I use the filters at work) - the long "snout" pushes the warm wet air out past the rim of the goggles, only rarely do you need to put the goggles on your helmet at the end of the run. So far this is the best solution among Oyuki and BS balaclavas and several different fabric masks.

The ubertube is seriously the best. I will keep wearing and using on cold days where I want my face covered long after these mask mandates are lifted.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I did some mask testing during a powder day and a sloppy second/work day. My goggles were constantly fogging. I realized yesterday that the fogging was between the lenses - ugh. Newish fancy Scott goggles that I (almost) treat better than my dog. What’s the solution to this? I’m going to reach out to scott for a hopeful warranty return.

-Wool icebreaker mask is too hot.

-primal mask was meh-ish even though it kept the fabric away from my face with the frame.

-v-sixtyfour mask is still my favorite while skiing. Even with the fabric against my face.

I spent a lot of time breaking in deep traverses in a resort powder day hurry. I couldn’t even wear a light weight single layer buff over my nose and mouth without getting too hot and uncomfortable.

Tuck your dental dam up under your optics and make sure there is a good seal. Done.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I did some mask testing during a powder day and a sloppy second/work day. My goggles were constantly fogging. I realized yesterday that the fogging was between the lenses - ugh. Newish fancy Scott goggles that I (almost) treat better than my dog. What’s the solution to this? I’m going to reach out to scott for a hopeful warranty return.

-Wool icebreaker mask is too hot.

-primal mask was meh-ish even though it kept the fabric away from my face with the frame.

-v-sixtyfour mask is still my favorite while skiing. Even with the fabric against my face.

I spent a lot of time breaking in deep traverses in a resort powder day hurry. I couldn’t even wear a light weight single layer buff over my nose and mouth without getting too hot and uncomfortable.
    If the moisture is getting between the lenses then one of 2 things- there is a crack or the seal around the edge where they put the 2 pieces of the lens together is not sealed properly. If warranty does nothing, I'd try and find were the moisture is getting in (put them in a sink of water or something and see if you can spot were it is coming in). Then I'd aquaseal or some sort of thin silicone around the area you see the water seeping into the lenses if possible.
    Last edited by RShea; 02-02-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Have this same issue with the Evo branded merino wool balaclava... even with the goggles placed over the top of the merino they still fog up from breathing.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    If the moisture is getting between the lenses then one of 2 things- there is a crack or the seal around the edge where they put the 2 pieces of the lens together is not sealed properly. If warranty does nothing, I'd try and find were the moisture is getting in (put them in a sink of water or something and see if you can spot were it is coming in). Then I'd aquaseal or some sort of thin silicone around the area you see the water seeping into the lenses if possible.
    Thanks!

Double post

Another vote for OR Adrenaline mask. I find the extra space around the mouth really helps with higher exertion activities.

I haven’t found one that works super well, so I naught Abom goggles and that has fixed my woes. Push a button and they defog.
    "Let's be careful out there."