Photography shit

I was looking for something in the depths of my closet this afternoon and stumbled upon some prints from freshman photography class. Thinking I may break out the old Pentax once I find it and get some shots this winter. Other than Gunder, any jongs out there do photo?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0425.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	935.8 KB 
ID:	353251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1,021.4 KB 
ID:	353252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	353253
    you don't want no smoke.

This sub-forum used to be WAY more active. There are several of use that are shutter happy fools. I'll dig up and bump the last MPC (Maggot Photo Contest) that we had. There should be links to all of the past MPC's at the bottom of the first post in the thread. We had one every few weeks. However, participation waned and we finally abandoned it.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

BTW those are some very cool monochromes
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    BTW those are some very cool monochromes
    preciate it. i only learned to shoot bnw on film. i need to read up on all this digital stuff, maybe even get myself a cheapo camera.
    i've been perusing the mpc threads the last few minutes. some pretty awesome shit on there. i'd love to see that revived.
    you don't want no smoke.

Post up some shots when you get them! I miss the darkroom days. Been probably fifteen years since I developed my last roll of film, but I can still smell it. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    This sub-forum used to be WAY more active. There are several of use that are shutter happy fools.
    Pretty much this. I feel like at one point this sub-forum was QUITE active.

I'm still shooting b&w film at home and developing in my kitchen. Scanner is slow as hell but still works great.

Still don't get film these days. Just shoot raw on a good camera, and you can take the data from that image and do a zillion things to it in Lightroom and third party software. B&W is easy, and you can duotone to your hearts content.

Name:	Baloon1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.46 MB 
ID:	353708

Name:	bwlandscapemtn2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	353709

Name:	Montepulcianosquare.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	353710

The last isn't pure BW, but, you get the drift with the duotone effect.

I was never a fan of these filter attachments in Photoshop that do all sort of special effects to an image with the push of a button, but, I found one this summer called Boris FX which is pretty cool. It also works as a standalone program. I think they are coming out of the digital film world and developed a product for still images. They have a bunch of styles they call "Historical" which mimic old film printing results, like canotype. You can go into a result and fine tune it. That's where the last image came from. Started there, and modified it to my liking .

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Photography shit

Iíve been kicking around the idea of getting a large format film camera for landscape work. For $1-2k you can get the resolution of a $40k digital camera.

I donít ever feel like Iíll shoot 35mm film ever again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Still don't get film these days. Just shoot raw on a good camera, and you can take the data from that image and do a zillion things to it in Lightroom and third party software. B&W is easy, and you can duotone to your hearts content.
    if you're just going for quality. then sure. That said, shooting film is more about the process than the result IMO.

I find shooting just digital doesn't force me to patient at ALL. I can take 100 test shots before my actual one. I can review instantly. I can double take if I don't like it.

Basically can't do any of that with film. It forces me to be thoughtful in my process and composition and teaches me humility.

The feeling of nailing a shot with film is something I've yet to have with digital. It's just so much more than a quick click of a shutter.

Nice prints OP.

My cameras have been mostly collecting dust in the last year or more due to life factors outside of my control.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Iíve been kicking around the idea of getting a large format film camera for landscape work. For $1-2k you can get the resolution of a $40k digital camera.

I donít ever feel like Iíll shoot 35mm film ever again, though.
    Yeah, but, then you bought into this really cumbersome method of taking a picture, requiring a large, heavy camera, a sturdy, heavy tripod, and a set of loaded film holders. Among other things, like maybe a lens or two, which are large and require a case to carry on their own. When you ,look at a twenties and thirties Ansel Adam's shot from the Sierra or Yosemite, you should understand that all that was what he was hiking with and probably horse packing with to some, then, difficult spots to get to for his images. The man was an athlete in his younger years. And then he had the ability to stare at a scene and break it all down to ten zones of grey scale, like octaves on a piano. Brilliant. But, really hard.
    Then you have to be really really good and precise at developing the film, to achieve those ten zones correctly. Then, you either contact print them, which is small, or build a worthy darkroom to enlarge and process prints made correctly that reproduce those ten zones well. That darkroom is expensive to maintain. Do you have a comfortable space like that with excellent temperature controlled plumbing and vent work, the latter so that you dont poison yourself from the long hours in there?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...um_format.html

Pricey, but, no chemicals or plumbing.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Oh dude, I know what I would be getting into. Trust me. Iíd (most likely) never shoot any client work like that, but for personal work I always like to push out of my comfort zone in some way, and shooting LF film would definitely make me better once I got back to digital.

I donít really care what people shoot on, so I stay out of the digital/film arguments and the Canon/Sony/Nikon arguments.

the only reason i shot bnw was because i was taking bnw photography. never learned to shoot digital.
    you don't want no smoke.