Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CB Avalanche Accident

Yikes. I know the zone and even just looking at the pictures one could think that terrain looks pretty benign. Scary reminder that even something that seems to have very low risk can result in an injury and a need for SAR-extraction. Thanks for sharing.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Looking at the snow angle on caltopo, it looks like a meadow with a convex roll from 30°ish to 35+° as goes through those trees. Definitely easy to overlook, especially after all the steeper terrain they had to have skied to get there.

Lots of shitty facets everywhere under this new snow.

Snodgrass is a sneaky one. I'm not a local but my impression is it's considered one of the "safer" options in the CB area, and it's also one of only a limited number of things you can ski without a sled.
    I feel like it's considered "safer" mostly because it's not a series of huge, obvious avalanche paths like say, Schuylkill. It's actually pretty complex terrain, with lots of steep pitches, just not super continuous, lots of trees, rollovers, benches. Snowpack there is usually thin especially compared to the deeper backcountry zones. Our final day of my Level 2 was on the north side of Snodgrass and it was a great place for working through route planning and decision making in complicated terrain. There's plenty of stuff that can slide over there and plenty of places where you can get dragged into trees.
    Hope the rider recovers well!
    Last edited by adrenalated; 12-17-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I know at least one hardcore rider that had their expert ass checked by Snodgrass sliding.

Trees aren't perfectly safe.

When I first got here, the old timers called it Slidegrass. Now I guess I'm the oldtimer, and I can call it that- it's way sketchier than it's given credit for. Definitely one of the few good options without a sled, but it tends to have a thin weak snowpack since it's not quite in the snowglobe zone.

Me and a buddy who is also a former local were just talking about snodgrass being sneaky yesterday.

wouldn't want to pay for that heli-ride

I wanna ask but I'll wait. Sorry bud

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Same. Sending good vibes your way.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Photo on CBAC facebook page. "Friendly finish" took another one down. Total fucking legend.

Bummer. RIP solo skier.

I can't count the number of times that X left a single set of tracks, with 20x more turns than I would make, for the whole valley to see. Everyone, and I mean everyone, knew exactly who left those tracks whenever he laid them down.

It seems that all the "experts" are saying this kind of stuff is going to be more likely because of the pandemic and the backcountry is going to be super swamped this year. I'm no expert, so for those have you who have been in the backcountry, are you noting more people? Or is this just more media hype to drive up business.

https://theskireports.com/index.html

Vibes to golden boy and the whole community. The only word I see associated with this dude is legend.

Damn it. So sorry to hear this.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    It seems that all the "experts" are saying this kind of stuff is going to be more likely because of the pandemic and the backcountry is going to be super swamped this year. I'm no expert, so for those have you who have been in the backcountry, are you noting more people? Or is this just more media hype to drive up business.

https://theskireports.com/index.html
    I am seeing more, but our snowpack is still pretty thin so I don't think we've seen the full impact.

Certainly seems to be irrelevant in this case though. There were no crowds and he wasn't new.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'm not seeing more people as it is early season. I'm seeing a shitty snowpack with facets below and a lot of fresh snow up top. Cracking and settling all over. Wind loaded spots are terribly unpredictable right now.

^^ your description above had me wondering if those are his turns on CBAC's cover photo on Facebook
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Vibes to the CB community.

Condolences given. I look at every incident and try to convince myself that I couldn't be me. This one certainly could have been me.