Dynafit Beast 108 (181) - 1 Mount (Never Skied)

They're $$$ sold $$$. Thanks for looking, folks!

Selling these for a buddy. He picked up these last year's Beast 108s. They come in at 3475 g / pair (a bit under 7.7 Lbs).
    One mount (see below), but never skied.

How does $300 clear to me sound? Local pickup in the Boulder area works. A quick search, and the cheapest price I can find for these is $559.

The story (everything has a story ... right?)

The shop installed the wrong bindings (not sure which ones, and for what BSL), and if that weren't enough, they drilled the holes of one toe piece off-center which they plugged, re-drilled and installed helicoils.

So, my buddy agreed to take them at a discount, and asked me if I'd mount 'em rite for him. I removed the 4 helicoils and plugged them with a G-flex fiberglass combo. The remaining holes were plugged with bamboo skewers & G-flex.

There are a few "workbench scratches", so they don't look like fresh out of the plastic, but they've never seen snow.

He's now having second thoughts about the length, as he usually tours on skis in the low 170s. Personally, I think is initial instinct is correct, and that he should keep them, 'coz they're zero camber with gradual, long tip & tail rocker (see photos). I don't think he'll find them to be too long, but I get it ... he has way too many skis.

For the two rocker photos, the skis are strapped together, 'coz there's zero camber (edit - maybe 1/2mm of camber?), so no change in contact point.

Mount Point - Hole Conflict Analysis:

Dynafit Vertical at BSL = 287 and mocked it up (see added photo).
    I didn't have a Vertical template on file, so I used the Powderguide template. I don't like to call templates "official" until I've done one mount with them. This would also be a Plum Guide if you didn't use the 5th toe hole.

With that caveat, you'll note in the photo that there's a bit of overlap at the toe. I did this on the ski with the wider toe holes (the plugged helicoils). I didn't spend a lot of time finding the exact center, since this is only a proof of concept effort, so you'll note the holes being skewed slightly (off the center line).

Also, note that I checked the recommended line and it's at about -7.75cm.

Shift for BSL = 317mm (photo added):

Toe holes look great. There's some interference at the heel and they'd have to be moved about 10mm. I'm not sure how much track adjustment the Shift heels have.

According to this page on Cripple Creek BC, there's 30mm of adjustment range.

Note: I used @lucknau's revised Shift template for this overlay analysis. This seemed to be the preferred one on the Shift thread.

Scroll for photos …

... Thom

Scratches from my workbench ...

Toe piece holes (Fiberglass + GFlex for holes with removed helicoils)

Heel piece holes (bamboo + G-Flex):

Mount Analysis for Dynafit Vertical, BSL = 287mm:

Hole overlay - Shifts for BSL = 317mm (on the line). Toe holes great, heels would have to move back:

Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-10-2021 at 01:52 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Just gonna say, I have a few days on mine now and I really like them so far. I was fully expecting to come here and see these with inserts in 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Just gonna say, I have a few days on mine now and I really like them so far. I was fully expecting to come here and see these with inserts in 'em!
    Funneh ... well, one ski did have 4 helicoils in it ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I had a query about hole conflicts for Verticals and BSL = 287. I mocked it up and added a photo. Lemme know if you want me to mock up a different BSL / Binding combo - to the extent I can get hold of a template.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-27-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    Galibier Design

Up we go ... price drop to $300.
    Galibier Design

Can you mount a tele binding on a Dynafit? If so, would a Voile Switchback II fit amongst all those holes?

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    Can you mount a tele binding on a Dynafit? If so, would a Voile Switchback II fit amongst all those holes?
    No one is making "Tele" skis anymore. They're just skis. These Beasts appear to be plenty burly based on both their weight and looking at the core when I removed the inserts and filled with fiberglass/epoxy.

If you're serious about this, is this the binding?

Download the template on that page to confirm it's your mounting pattern, give me the offset from your boot center to the pin line, and I'll lay it out for you.

I gotta say ... having heard stories of ripped out tele bindings, and looking at the hole spacing on that binding, I'd install with helicoils or inserts. That's just me, 'coz of the horror stories I've heard about tele mounts - not specific to this ski.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-07-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    Galibier Design

I'm not looking for tele skis; I'm looking for skis that are substantial enough to hold a tele binding and won't void their warranty if one mounts a tele binding. Even Black Diamond and Voile void the warranty if you mount a tele binding on their .lightest weight skis, so I was concerned that Dynafit might do the same. That is the binding I'd put on it. I mounted boot center on the Nunataqs, also on the Praxis Powderboards (full reverse/reverse) and like them there, so I'd mount the Beasts boot center as well. I ski a mondo 27.5 or 28 in the bc. I'm not interested in helicoils or inserts. I'm 71 and have only ripped out a tele binding once, and I think that was my fault, as some of the screws were rusty suggesting I didn't seal the holes sufficiently. I'd want 10mm or more screw center to screw center.

Rethinking, I should go with the old rule of thumb of at least a cm between holes.

PM me if you ever decide what you want. The best source for warranty, robustness, etc. is the manufacturer and the interwebz.

So we've confirmed that you're looking to mount the Voile bindings but you still haven't provided the boot center to pin line distance. Mondo size doesn't tell me the BSL, nor the distance to the pin line from there. I not gonna play 20 questions with you.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-07-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    Galibier Design

Good luck with the sale.

Bumping for serious inquires ... I'm happy to mock up a mount, but ya gotta meet me half way on this. Now I know why @adrenelated puts so many constraints on whom he'll sell to.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-07-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    Galibier Design

Your desire to be met halfway is very reasonable, as is my desire to not deal with sarcastic dicks.

Thanks for the free bump.
    Galibier Design

My offer still stands.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    My offer still stands.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Lemme twist my buddy's arm. I think he should do it. It's a win-win for two great folks. I'll PM you one way or another.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Hey man,

Had a buddy run into a similar issue. These skis are in the area code for his needs. Think a shift would work on them? Trying to get this figured out for him to come visit up in MT next week. PMing you my cel nimber

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I posted a hole overlay for Shifts - on the line for BSL = 317mm. I've never mounted a Shift, but used the template @lucknau published on the Shift thread. If I recall, people were making minor adjustments to the 5th toe hole which is what @lucknau did (+/- a couple of mm), so this doesn't affect any hole interference analysis.

The toes look great for BSL=317mm. The heels would have to be moved back about 10mm. I can't recall how much adjustment range shifts have.

According to this page on Cripple Creek BC, there's 30mm of adjustment range.

... Thom
    Galibier Design