Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Entertaining a confined dog

My dog had ACL (technically CCL) surgery yesterday and came home today. Now she has to be cooped up almost entirely for the next two weeks.

Any ideas on ways to help her avoid going insane aside from chew toys? We have her pen set up beside the couch so she'll feel like she has some companionship. Any other ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dingo2020-12-15.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	353035

Frequent bacon enticement.

1:1 thc:cbd bacon bites

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fun times. Wife's dog blew out both rear knees and had surgeries (not at the same time). I fondly remember many 3am on-leash poops with my wife's dog in knee deep snow when it's 5 degrees out. And the dumb dog was a shy pooper so it was never quick.

He isn't hyper-active so no tips on entertainment. He just slept a bunch like normal.

Frozen kong with peanut butter inside is good for 30+ minutes. Get unsalted PB though, better for the doggo
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

My pups a month ahead of yours. Tibial advancement. Crazy surgery idea. Don’t repair the torn ligament, just change the geometry.

We never penned her. But yeah, two weeks no activity. Then two weeks micro walking. Two more weeks ten minute walks.
    The hardest part was keeping her from jumping. On people. On furniture etc.

She’s energetic but can be calmed, so that helps.

Still wants to chase squirrels
    Killed three rabbits in her first year. I now know the death sound of a rabbit

When you’re around, let her out.
    Snuggle on the floor. Massage her upper and lower leg.

And yes, peanut butter makes them happy.
    . . .

Fine looking dog! Was this your MTB dog? How did it happen?

Been there......

Drugs; lots of drugs.

Just give up your days and be there for her. She’ll appreciate it
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    My pups a month ahead of yours. Tibial advancement. Crazy surgery idea. Don’t repair the torn ligament, just change the geometry.

We never penned her. But yeah, two weeks no activity. Then two weeks micro walking. Two more weeks ten minute walks.
    The hardest part was keeping her from jumping. On people. On furniture etc.

She’s energetic but can be calmed, so that helps.

Still wants to chase squirrels
    Killed three rabbits in her first year. I now know the death sound of a rabbit

When you’re around, let her out.
    Snuggle on the floor. Massage her upper and lower leg.

And yes, peanut butter makes them happy.
    Heh, she's eating peanut butter in her own now after laying beside us on the floor doing some of the world's easiest "trick" training.

The tibial advancement is pretty crazy. It seems like the recovery to weight bearing was faster than some other techniques.

Kaylee (my dog) had the more updated version of the traditional lateral suture technique, so no plate for her. Our vet was in favor of this technique and after a lot of reading veterinary literature, I was sufficiently in agreement to go through with it. There doesn't seem to really be enough info to compare the tibial advancement, but it seems like TLPO might be very slightly better than the procedure Kayls had, but results are contradictory the only double blinded study I could find only showed a 5-10% difference in how much weight they put on the leg a year later and that was in larger dogs. I admit that the price difference 1600 vs 5000 price difference and less invasiveness helped the vet convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Fine looking dog! Was this your MTB dog? How did it happen?
    Yep that's her! We're not totally sure. We were road tripping across the country this summer when we noticed her start to limp a bit intermittently. We probably didn't do a good enough job of limiting her movement then. We took her to the vet when we got here and he said it was a partial tear and prescribed rest. Over the last few months, we'd limit her, she'd get better, then we'd try to ramp up activity some and she'd end up limping again. Maybe 2-3 weeks ago she was doing well, another dog walked past our alley. She rushed at 100mph and pulled up hard before she'd have hit the gate. Yelped and was clearly uncomfortable. Took her to the vet again and were told it was now completely torn.

I'm actually somewhat happy to get the surgery, do the hard work of recovery now, and hopefully have her back hiking/biking with me. Since we moved, she's pretty much been confined to the house yard to try to get her to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Been there......

Drugs; lots of drugs.
    Yes, that's a given, but he is asking what to do for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just give up your days and be there for her. She’ll appreciate it
    Another reason we scheduled it now was that I'm a professor and the semester is finished after tomorrow so I can be around all the time.

That is exactly what she needs.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Yes, that's a given, but he is asking what to do for the dog.
    Furious masturbation?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Another reason we scheduled it now was that I'm a professor and the semester is finished after tomorrow so I can be around all the time.
    When Rocky had his luxating patella surgery we used drugs, frozen peanut butter filled kongs, and food puzzles for passive activity. Then a lot of snuggles, playing catch with the ball (catch not fetch), and training. He’s a border collie, gsp, lab, gsd, whippet mix, so he likes activity and having a job.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Furious masturbation?
    Go ahead it's not my dog.

Be prepared for her to do the other one. Ours had the plate surgery done and the repaired side was stronger than the "good" side so she went full bore and destroyed the "good" side as well. She's almost 14 now and still gets around great but can't sit like a normal dog.

Our lab has had both done as well. The first knee went gradually, the second went last winter chasing us down the sledding hill. I saw him holding the leg up and not wanting to bear weight and knew right away it was round two. We were lucky to get his surgery right away due to a cancellation or we would have been screwed due to the soon to come shutdown from COVID.

Not much else to ad to help with recovery. The hardest part is protecting them from themselves. She’ll feel like she’s ready to go quickly, but the bone needs to heal. Stick with the PT plan they gave you and she’ll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    When Rocky had his luxating patella surgery we used drugs, frozen peanut butter filled kongs, and food puzzles for passive activity. Then a lot of snuggles, playing catch with the ball (catch not fetch), and training. He’s a border collie, gsp, lab, gsd, whippet mix, so he likes activity and having a job.
    Pretty much all of this. Food puzzles were a great help for Oskar, our blue heeler. Unfortunately after about four days he decided he felt fine, so heavy drugs were required to keep him from running around jumping off of shit.

https://www.dogtv.com/ and a daily tub of ben & jerry’s.....

Benadryl.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Pretty much all of this. Food puzzles were a great help for Oskar, our blue heeler. Unfortunately after about four days he decided he felt fine, so heavy drugs were required to keep him from running around jumping off of shit.
    My dog is half heeler (plus a quarter Catahoula), so I feel for you. I suspect if she were a dog less tolerant of discomfort, we might have been more successful in getting her to stay off that leg so it could have healed after the first, partial tear. But nope, she preferred to just lift it up when it really hurt and go about her day. Never whined except for a single yelp when she tore it completely. Noble, but dumb.

Anyone have favorite food puzzles? When we got our dog we actually gave her all her food in puzzles in order to try to keep her from being completely insane, but she's now mellowed a good bit (to just somewhat insane). In that stage she was mostly into the brute force, toss-the-toy-and-it-ejects-kibble-on-landing style puzzle, but that's obviously not ideal for right now. I think we had a version of the Bob-a-lot, but she eventually chewed the top to where it wasn't functional.

Entertaining a confined dog

https://www.chewy.com/trixie-mad-sci...hoC5noQAvD_BwE

We have one like this that my dogs really enjoy.

Also, not sure about acl recovery but with the tpo to fix patellar luxation after 3-4 weeks the vet said with an active dog we could do walks pretty much as far as we wanted, though the recovery plan they gave us said "around the block a couple times." We walked till my feet fell off a few times a week, which helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Frozen kong with peanut butter inside is good for 30+ minutes. Get unsalted PB though, better for the doggo
    I was going to post this

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

My dog did his left CL October '19 and his right one July of this year. TPLO fixed both. I'll, but second the drug advice. I wasn't super comfortable with drugging him up, but every vet we talked to, including my SIL who loves the dog to death, said to do it. Worked out pretty well but I know the TPLO recovery is probably very different than what you had done. Good luck, and like was mentioned before, start saving up for the other one. Thank god they only have two knees.