Kids Binding Question

So I just mounted my nephew's new skis last night. He's 13, skis are 143 and got him some Salomon L7 bindings. DIN calculator puts him at a 4 or 5 depending on how I rate his ability. At a 4 I'm surprised how easy it is to get the toe to release. Am I just super strong or is there a potential problem? Forward pressure seems right. I don't have a torque bench in my basement and would rather not pay to have them tested.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by jerlane; 12-15-2020 at 09:33 PM.

Kids Binding Question

He’s 13...if u don’t trust your DIN calculator and don’t want to take em to shop and get tested....just set at 4.5 and go ski.....tell him not to fall.

I asked a similar question a while ago and the consensus is that you increase them until he stops pre releasing.

My 10 year old was at 4.5-5 last year, but he's in the racing program. Point being, the recommended setting is likely for beginners/intermediates so you need to adjust according to ability.

Though, even at 4 it shouldn't be super easy to get them out.

One thing to check is whether or not they are kids bindings and if so, whether or not they'll accommodate an adult boot sole.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I asked a similar question a while ago and the consensus is that you increase them until he stops pre releasing.

My 10 year old was at 4.5-5 last year, but he's in the racing program. Point being, the recommended setting is likely for beginners/intermediates so you need to adjust according to ability.

Though, even at 4 it shouldn't be super easy to get them out.

One thing to check is whether or not they are kids bindings and if so, whether or not they'll accommodate an adult boot sole.
    I was wondering about the boot sole as well. His current boots are a “kids boot” and seemed to function fine in he’s previous bindings which were also kids bindings. I’m going to compare to his old skis and see how easy it is for me to get those to release at the same din.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Last year my kid was wrongly denied a demo. Said kids boot wouldn’t fit adult binding

Later confirmed that 24 is the size at which all kids boots are adult soles.
    So presumably an adult boot will fit in a kid binding? Since large foot kids might use kid bindings?

As for din charts, I always do type three plus since my kids know how to ski.
    Ymmv
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Last year my kid was wrongly denied a demo. Said kids boot wouldn’t fit adult binding

Later confirmed that 24 is the size at which all kids boots are adult soles.
    Probably depends on brand but the langes in my household are adult DIN norm soles at size 22.5.

Also Salomon L7 are compatible with both adult and child din soles but most bindings cannot do both.

This poor kid is going to popping out of his snow blades all over the mountain. Most progeny of the TGRz are maxed out on hand me down 916s.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Probably depends on brand but the langes in my household are adult DIN norm soles at size 22.5.

Also Salomon L7 are compatible with both adult and child din soles but most bindings cannot do both.
    Thanks for confirming the compatibility. The wings looked like they were able to accommodate the sole.

I messed with them some more tonight and with the din at 5 they seem pretty solid. I’m not able to get them to release just by using my hand. I think they are fine, but I’ll still do some comparing with the old skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Thanks for confirming the compatibility. The wings looked like they were able to accommodate the sole.
    Actually you might want to check some more - I was talking about L7 but I just reread your first post and you actually said Z7 - those I am not familiar with, sorry for potentially misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Actually you might want to check some more - I was talking about L7 but I just reread your first post and you actually said Z7 - those I am not familiar with, sorry for potentially misleading.
    Just confirmed from their website. Adult boots are ok. If I said z7 before I was wrong they are actually L7.