Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gman is offline Mack Master William Large

Recommend me a shop vac

The family is starting to go on my camping adventures and as a result we need a shop vac to clean out the car and for cleaning out our gear storage inside the shed. How much money do I need to spend to get a decent one? Mostly will be using it to vacuum up sand, dirt, and other small particles. Should I go with a battery powered shop vac or a corded version? Just need something a little beefier than the dyson I have for inside the house. Any brands to avoid? What size is going to be most useful for my purposes? Thanks for the beta.

I have a version of the Ridgid WD4050. It is a pretty popular model. Advertised as 4 gallons and 5 hp. Corded. I use it with filter bags for light-ish garage work. No complaints but if doing it again would check into cordless options. Makita makes a combo corded/cordless vacuum that looks nice but comes at a price.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/wd4050-...on-wet-dry-vac

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XCV04Z

Shop Vacs are a slippery slope for me. First, they are seemingly the least expensive vaccuums out there, so my cost tolerance is higher but its still skewed because other vacuums are overpriced. Having higher HP is nice, but that comes with a bigger cannister for the most part. The additional cost for extra size and HP is also pretty tiered and lends itself to a "fuck it" why not get the more powerful one for 30 more bucks" choice. All that said, I wouldn't fuck around if you have the room and make sure you stay at or above 5HP. I'd get a corded as well but someone will tell you to go ease of use, smaller size and thats all you need. I say, whats worth doing, is worth overdoing.

Rigid battery operated one FTW. Seriously powerful and totally portable. Highly Highly recommend.

rigid rocks andf shop vacs are underrated for moving water ( like say something floods)

I like the small handheld 1 gallon size ones for that kind of duty, particularly cleaning the cars. The big one is a hassle to move around so it sits more than anything but the small ones get used all the time. Brand doesn't matter much, shop vac/craftsman/rigid/kobalt whatever they all do what they're supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I like the small handheld 1 gallon size ones for that kind of duty, particularly cleaning the cars. The big one is a hassle to move around so it sits more than anything but the small ones get used all the time.
    my experience as well. My huge one is a PITA to maneuver and store. My big shopvac has the same issues .

I've got some Milwaukee hand tools but my understanding is the power is better on the corded versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    rigid rocks andf shop vacs are underrated for moving water ( like say something floods)
    Yeah I got the big 9gal rigid one specifically to help w hot tub maintenance. It moves a lot of water quickly and drains quick too.

It’s huge though and to others’ points below, difficult to move around for car cleaning, around the fireplace etc. I should really have a small one as well but don’t get me started.

I have a 9-gallon corded one from Craftsman. I don't think the brand name matters much -- get whatever is on sale. I don't have a second small one for car use; this one does it all.

Use a drywall bag if you're vacuuming anything you don't want to breathe, or anything that's going to spray dust all around the place. I use it for cold ashes -- stove cleaning -- because my pellet stove doesn't have an ash tray.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When do you use a bag inside the shop vac vs just a filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    When do you use a bag inside the shop vac vs just a filter?
    I always use both, for dry stuff. I would expect the filter to get clogged up pretty quickly if using the vac without any bag.

Don't use a bag for wet stuff or liquids. /capt obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    I have a Ridgid 12 gal 5HP that I use as a dust collector for my bandsaw, random orbital sander etc, and for cleaning up my wood shop. Don't know how I lived without. This one doesn't use bags, it does have a HEPA filter so you can breath all the dust at once when you clean it instead of little by little. the top doesn't work as a blower. Probably more than the OP needs. I have a cheap small shop vac brand we got used that I use to suck out the water that's left in the bottom of the spa after I drain it. Works great for that.

One thing that's nice about the more powerful machines is that the motors are lower pitched so easier on the ears. (I wear hearing protection anyway.)

If you have dentist money to burn, you can't beat the Festool vac.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    I've got some Milwaukee hand tools but my understanding is the power is better on the corded versions.
    Then just get the Milwaukee one that uses the M18 batteries.

As others have said the battery ones are super convenient for cars, baseboards, vents, small garage messes, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

+ whatever on not getting one that's too big. That Rigid posted by Mazderati would be perfect.

I was given one of the giant ones and it's a huge pain in the ass to move around. I really should sell it and get a smaller one.

Recommend me a shop vac

The bigs ones are great if you are using it for sucking up a decent amount of water or rocks, or you have it in a shop setting where it doesn’t need to move around. But yeah overkill for most of us.

Not OP related but the homedepot bucket head vac actually works pretty well if you want a cheap solution. Like if you have some nastyness you need to clean up but don’t want to get your nicer vac all disgusting....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Assuming the same HP for a 4 gallon vs a 12 Rigid, the extra volume of the 12 gallon would only be beneficial if you're sucking up a bunch of debris right? My thinking is I'll rarely fill a big bag so smaller is probably beneficial. Also the Milwaukee portable battery ones don't get great reviews so I'm inclined to go with what Mazderati recommended.

Funny, we were talking about this today at my work. Apparently Shop Vac is going out of business, abruptly shut down all its US offices, and gave all the employees zero notice. 100’s of people showed up Tuesday morning for work and were told as they walked in that they were all fired, and lost all benefits and insurance. So... I’d stay away from a Shop Vac branded vacuum

Woah that's fucked up. I can't imagine being told that my bennies and insurance were gone *poof* but then again I've only had insurance through one job in my life and that didn't last long when the boss fully realized what it actually cost to insure a couple dozen families.

I am surprised all you dentists don't have two, like I do. One big one (Ridgid, stole from the in-laws) and one smaller one (Shop Vac, from a garage sale). They both have about the same power when they are empty and the filter is clean, likely because the smaller one has a smaller diameter hose. Notably, the smaller hose fits perfectly on the small dust extraction attachment to my Makita miter saw, which is awesome, because miter saws produce ungodly amounts of fine dust. And the large one fits perfectly on the much larger dust extraction port on my table saw.

I have lots of cordless tools but a cordless vac doesn't make much sense to me. If you go to use it and the battery is dead how mad are you going to be?

5hp vac sounds off. 1hp is 746 watts. P=IE tells me at 120v you are drawing a little over 31amps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

They advertise them as "peak" HP. Fuck if I know what it means. But they are cheap. This one appears to have self-fellating features.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...1401/308343494

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    5hp vac sounds off. 1hp is 746 watts. P=IE tells me at 120v you are drawing a little over 31amps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    HP on home tools and appliances are like storm snow totals at your local hill.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    They advertise them as "peak" HP. Fuck if I know what it means. But they are cheap. This one appears to have self-fellating features.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...1401/308343494
    The self fellating only works for the generously endowed. They do sell an adapter--I've been told--but it costs extra.

My rigid has worked great for the 5 years or so that I've had it. Been using it with HEPA filter and no bag for cleaning the pellet stove at the new house this fall and that's been fine. Should probably get bags for it the next time I'm at the store though as it made a mess when I dumped it this week.