Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Supply

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Elation and devastation.

“In stock”

“No shipping to this country”

ugh USA fail
    Do you know any Canajians in the Vangroovy area? I know a keen cycling maggot in the area. PM LeeLau.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Elation and devastation.

“In stock”

“No shipping to this country”

ugh USA fail
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Deo...oAAOSweFlgQ4E2
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

These are legit right? no grey market business?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Grey market in the bike world means genuine Shimano parts sold to a bike builder intended to be installed on a complete bike, not intended for retail sales. They will have no commercial packaging, just wrapped in protective shipping material from the factory.
    Still genuine product, still warranty available, just technically not for retail sales.
    Example: Hans’ Custom bikes applies to Shimano as a bike builder, and purchases 1500 build kits for his custom bikes. Shimano agrees to sell him kits at “builder price”, which is below wholesale.
    Hans really only makes 500 bikes, but needs to tell Shimano he sells 1500 to get his big discount. Hans then sells the extra 500 XT kits and 500 XTR kits at profit, probably making more from those Shimano kits than from his little bike frame business. And in return fawks the retail price of Shimano parts world wide.

I’m not saying don’t buy them. Just explaining how there are parts online cheaper than a North American shop can buy them for at wholesale cost.

I want Hans’ phone number, maybe invite him for a ride, you know, that sort of thing.
    Become his BFF or whatever.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

My XT 12-speed derailleur finally came in Friday. Today is new(ish) bike day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Grey market in the bike world means genuine Shimano parts sold to a bike builder intended to be installed on a complete bike, not intended for retail sales. They will have no commercial packaging, just wrapped in protective shipping material from the factory.
    Still genuine product, still warranty available, just technically not for retail sales.
    Example: Hans’ Custom bikes applies to Shimano as a bike builder, and purchases 1500 build kits for his custom bikes. Shimano agrees to sell him kits at “builder price”, which is below wholesale.
    Hans really only makes 500 bikes, but needs to tell Shimano he sells 1500 to get his big discount. Hans then sells the extra 500 XT kits and 500 XTR kits at profit, probably making more from those Shimano kits than from his little bike frame business. And in return fawks the retail price of Shimano parts world wide.

I’m not saying don’t buy them. Just explaining how there are parts online cheaper than a North American shop can buy them for at wholesale cost.
    That type of shit happens in a lot of industries, it's just some are better at regulating and auditing than others. Although, it's often a cat and mouse fiasco as the players constantly change.

Back in the day I was dealing with a Ford/Lincoln dealer on some HW issue, in conversation buddy told me there were people who would pay you 100$ to buy them a new lincoln which they load into a container going to china. He knew it was happening but he couldnt do anything about it, said if he found out you were reselling cars out of the country he couldnt sell you the car or he could lose his dealer license
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My boss up in Vancouver at my last company wanted me to car shop for him in San Diego and have the vehicle shipped up to him. He figured even with exchange rate, shipping and import costs it would still come out far cheaper than local prices. He wanted Volvo or Range Rover. Neither was very keen on shipping out of state, and only way to do it without CA sales tax and registration was to load it direct on a truck and send it straight out. No driving it, no stopping. In the end it was going to be too much hassle so he abandoned plans. I figured he could save even more by buying used in a private sale and import, but he wasn't interested.

Last year I didn't run out of stuff to sell until June/July, I just went through a couple of the b2b's and there's pretty much nothing available now and most stuff has no eta for restock. I know that with a few of these companies everything incoming until at least September is already spoken for and with two there's nothing until next year. I don't know how shops are going to deal with it when they really do run out of what they have on hand and didn't have the foresight (or money) last year to commit to orders for June this year. I know that none of the ones I work with are willing to place orders now for next year.

Ordered a Norco Optic C2 from the local shop back in the fall. Got a call this morning saying it’s not going to happen this year. Womp Womp.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Ordered a Norco Optic C2 from the local shop back in the fall. Got a call this morning saying it’s not going to happen this year. Womp Womp.
    of fuck dude that has to be heartbreaking - especially after waiting and with it being spring

I ordered a front derailler for my road bike last August. They told me it might be here by October. It showed up today!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    of fuck dude that has to be heartbreaking - especially after waiting and with it being spring
    Talk about waiting... my current bike is a 2003 Cannondale Gemini. Well past due for a new bike.

If I had of known last fall that it wouldn’t come, I probably could have arranged for something else similar, but at this point I think I just wait till next year. What’s another one when you’ve already waited 17?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Talk about waiting... my current bike is a 2003 Cannondale Gemini. Well past due for a new bike.

If I had of known last fall that it wouldn’t come, I probably could have arranged for something else similar, but at this point I think I just wait till next year. What’s another one when you’ve already waited 17?
    I'm on a 1994 GT Karakoram and 2001 Karpiel Armageddon and THIS spring I decide I want a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I'm on a 1994 GT Karakoram and 2001 Karpiel Armageddon and THIS spring I decide I want a new bike.
    Know that I share your pain, but we will get through this.

I know where there is a new Orbea Rallon M10 size L just sitting on the floor waiting to be scooped up. If I hadn't bought an Orbea Occam last month it would be mine.

Thanks Beaver. Unfortunately I’m well into XL territory, but hopefully someone else can make use of this intel.

One of the larger shops in Calgary closed a location for the summer, and is closed on Sunday’s because they can’t get enough parts and bikes to even bother being open. I am so glad I over rode my wife’s objections to buying new bikes last fall just before winter hit. We got three weeks of riding before putting them away, but at least we have bikes for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    One of the larger shops in Calgary closed a location for the summer, and is closed on Sunday’s because they can’t get enough parts and bikes to even bother being open. I am so glad I over rode my wife’s objections to buying new bikes last fall just before winter hit. We got three weeks of riding before putting them away, but at least we have bikes for this year.
    wow, what shop?

Very fortunate I was able to source all the parts I needed. Took some creativity, a couple euro orders. But everything I wanted I got.

Almost done...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6D3AA91-F4A3-4458-9A8C-AF8098DDD6C7.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	627.5 KB 
ID:	372001
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    wow, what shop?
    Calgary Cycle.... closed their Bragg location for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Calgary Cycle.... closed their Bragg location for the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    impressive.

good idea for staff, customers, etc. but WOW.

This time of year I normally do builds for a few shops here...as of right now, there are no bikes to build.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident