Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Supply

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I woke up this morning, checked the specialized website for who they said had an epic evo comp in stock near me, looked on the website and they claimed they had it, called and yes in fact they had one, and now it’s in my basement.
    Damn, hope! I’ll tell him to keep hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    be sure you have the new one in hand first! ha...I briefly considered selling mine Bronson MY2019, but frankly, it's still in great shape and I put a new lyrik and reserve wheels on it last June, with the fresh XT drivetrain sitting on the shelf it should do me just fine for another couple.
    Oh yah I’ll be buying first for sure. The odds of me finding something tho might be low. My Bronson is a 2015 and I’m not putting anymore money into an outdated bike ( that was probably slightly small anyways) and it seems like a damn nice time to get top dollar for it but I doubt I can live on a hardtail alone all year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I woke up this morning, checked the specialized website for who they said had an epic evo comp in stock near me, looked on the website and they claimed they had it, called and yes in fact they had one, and now it’s in my basement.
    Thanks for the inspiration here. Did the dealer check this morning and lo and behold a shop in Logan (1.5 hours away) had one in her size and color. They're going to hold it for me through the weekend when I can get up there.

I also found a small Orbea Occam M30 in stock on Evo.com. The Occam is really well reviewed and she'd probably like it a lot, too. But I'm still leaning EVO because:

-There's only a 10 mm difference in travel
    -They probably weigh within a pound of each other (especially after I swap out the heavy 36 Rhythm for the Mezzer I've already bought)
    -EVO comes with a better shock (better fork too but that's irrelevant because of the Mezzer)
    -I'm slightly concerned that the EVO could be a little too much bike, but reviews all seem to say that the EVO climbs great despite blurring the line between Trail and Enduro
    -The EVO has gobs of adjustability and the SWAT box
    -She's at the top of the recommended sizing for the Occam vs. right in the middle of the S2 EVO
    -Pinkbike BOTY 2020 winner
    -She's way hot for the clay color

She's headed to another, much closer shop right now to throw a leg over another EVO that's her size but the wrong color. Hopefully that will inform the "too much bike" concern.

Jenson also has some C1 build SB130s that will be available in a week. I think the SB130 would be right up her alley, but it's $1000 more than the EVO for almost the exact same parts spec. Any thoughts on EVO vs. SB130?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration here. Did the dealer check this morning and lo and behold a shop in Logan (1.5 hours away) had one in her size and color. They're going to hold it for me through the weekend when I can get up there.

I also found a small Orbea Occam M30 in stock on Evo.com. The Occam is really well reviewed and she'd probably like it a lot, too. But I'm still leaning EVO because:

-There's only a 10 mm difference in travel
    -They probably weigh within a pound of each other (especially after I swap out the heavy 36 Rhythm for the Mezzer I've already bought)
    -EVO comes with a better shock (better fork too but that's irrelevant because of the Mezzer)
    -I'm slightly concerned that the EVO could be a little too much bike, but reviews all seem to say that the EVO climbs great despite blurring the line between Trail and Enduro
    -The EVO has gobs of adjustability and the SWAT box
    -She's at the top of the recommended sizing for the Occam vs. right in the middle of the S2 EVO
    -Pinkbike BOTY 2020 winner
    -She's way hot for the clay color

She's headed to another, much closer shop right now to throw a leg over another EVO that's her size but the wrong color. Hopefully that will inform the "too much bike" concern.

Jenson also has some C1 build SB130s that will be available in a week. I think the SB130 would be right up her alley, but it's $1000 more than the EVO for almost the exact same parts spec. Any thoughts on EVO vs. SB130?
    Occam had kind of a weird tip-in, which is why I didn't get it, but other than that felt great. It definitely has a "bike that wants to do things" feel, which can feel nervous to some. I likely would have been fine with it, but it just felt unsettled overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    She's headed to another, much closer shop right now to throw a leg over another EVO that's her size but the wrong color.
    This is an epic first-world problem.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Occam had kind of a weird tip-in, which is why I didn't get it, but other than that felt great. It definitely has a "bike that wants to do things" feel, which can feel nervous to some. I likely would have been fine with it, but it just felt unsettled overall.
    Thanks. "Unsettled" is not a characteristic I want in her bike.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    This is an epic first-world problem.
    For sure. But, the only other option is black-on-black and I can understand her not wanting that. When there's one in the color she actually wants within a reasonable driving distance I'm happy to oblige.

Occam had kind of a weird tip-in ... it just felt unsettled overall.
    Doesn’t this sound like just not enough LSC on the fork? Of course, that 34 Performance series Grip damper doesn’t let you tune the LSC in the open position ...

Irrelevant for Dan since he’s got the Mezzer, and irrelevant for you since you got a bike with a Fox 36 right?

I don’t have any stake in the matter, just thinking out loud, and would hate for a frame to get blamed on a fork tuning problem.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Doesn’t this sound like just not enough LSC on the fork? Of course, that 34 Performance series Grip damper doesn’t let you tune the LSC in the open position ...

Irrelevant for Dan since he’s got the Mezzer, and irrelevant for you since you got a bike with a Fox 36 right?

I don’t have any stake in the matter, just thinking out loud, and would hate for a frame to get blamed on a fork tuning problem.
    No, it was angle/geometry from what I could tell as it was going both uphill and downhill while not stressing the bike in a way that would engage the suspension. If you read through all the reviews the same things come through around the nervous feeling.
    That said, it's a great bike if you're an "active" rider that wants a bike that's looking for input. Given the levels of bikes these days, it's splitting hairs and it's more about the general feeling a bike gives, since they all are so capable.

That sb130 is a very capable bike, I owned one before I got this Ibis Ripley, after my Pivot Mach 5.5 the 130 is VERY capable, corners amazing, and I'd buy another one, but I'm not sure its worth the 1k over the EVO based on how good people say the EVO is.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I'm certain that they won't have what you're looking for (because: aluminum), but have a data point for others hunting: I've been amazed to have pre-ordered 2 bikes from Commencal in the last year and had them ship exactly or slightly ahead of schedule (a Ramones 16 for my kid, and an Absolut DJ for myself).

No, it was angle/geometry from what I could tell as it was going both uphill and downhill while not stressing the bike in a way that would engage the suspension. If you read through all the reviews the same things come through around the nervous feeling.
    That said, it's a great bike if you're an "active" rider that wants a bike that's looking for input. Given the levels of bikes these days, it's splitting hairs and it's more about the general feeling a bike gives, since they all are so capable.
    Ms Boissal can't be described as an "active" rider by any stretch and she had the opposite feedback, she thinks her Occam is very composed. It's a bit unerving to watch her sit back and charge into stuff but it works. Watching her ride she's clearly much more confident on that bike than she was on her Altitude. Different beasts clearly but the longer travel 27.5 is supposed to be quite the sled and she can't stop raving about how much more composed the Occam feels.
    I'm also on one btw (with a Mezzer) and nervous isn't how I'd described it but I'm not the most analytical rider.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

If you read through all the reviews the same things come through around the nervous feeling.
    Pinkbike called it "lively," but ones person's lively is someone else's "nervous."

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    That sb130 is a very capable bike, I owned one before I got this Ibis Ripley, after my Pivot Mach 5.5 the 130 is VERY capable, corners amazing, and I'd buy another one, but I'm not sure its worth the 1k over the EVO based on how good people say the EVO is.
    Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'm certain that they won't have what you're looking for (because: aluminum), but have a data point for others hunting: I've been amazed to have pre-ordered 2 bikes from Commencal in the last year and had them ship exactly or slightly ahead of schedule (a Ramones 16 for my kid, and an Absolut DJ for myself).
    I was looking hard at a Meta TR Essential in the fall. It's clearly a great bike, but she only turns 40 once so definitely going carbon. With the EVO especially the cost premium is not that large and you save about 3 pounds. Commencal is also showing August delivery for the Meta TR.

I got my kid the Absolut 24 in the fall and that bike is the best 24" DJ available by a long shot. Better in every respect, IMO, than a Norco Rampage 24 1, and it costs $450 less! It's in stock right now, amazingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Ms Boissal can't be described as an "active" rider by any stretch and she had the opposite feedback, she thinks her Occam is very composed. It's a bit unerving to watch her sit back and charge into stuff but it works. Watching her ride she's clearly much more confident on that bike than she was on her Altitude. Different beasts clearly but the longer travel 27.5 is supposed to be quite the sled and she can't stop raving about how much more composed the Occam feels.
    It's probably the wagon wheels.

Also, for the record the occam was my strong #2 ahead of the blackthorn and some other ones. Once you crossed the threshold straight->turn or turn-> straight it was good, just the tip in was fast into continuous vs the same feeling throughout (if that makes sense).

I didn’t know about the Find Nearby feature; amazing. We just tracked down an S4 Epic Evo Comp for my buddy that’s 2hrs away. Hopefully it works out.

Very handy tool for Spec Covid inventory dilemmas

I took an Occam M10 for a rip and never noticed it to be nervous. I did notice that I wanted to go faster no matter how fast I was already going. It's #1 on my list, mostly because it's in stock.

I have a Fuji Rakan 1.1 on order but it's mid January delivery came and went and there is no word on its actual delivery date. I bought my wife a Rakan 1.3 in August, I liked it enough that I wanted one but the Occam is sitting in the shop calling to me.

Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I took an Occam M10 for a rip and never noticed it to be nervous. I did notice that I wanted to go faster no matter how fast I was already going. It's #1 on my list, mostly because it's in stock.

I have a Fuji Rakan 1.1 on order but it's mid January delivery came and went and there is no word on its actual delivery date. I bought my wife a Rakan 1.3 in August, I liked it enough that I wanted one but the Occam is sitting in the shop calling to me.
    I've never ridden an Occam, but as with most bikes, the geometry has changed a bunch over the last few years. What might have been a sharper handling bike 2-3 years ago is likely fairly different now. Take older reviews with a grain of salt.

Emailing with a buddy who owns a shop in town today, he was telling me all the latest from Santa Cruz WRT supply 2021. For model year '22 they are dictating skus, quantity and sizes, dealer doesn't get to pick. Also just announced a 10% price hike across the board for any bike that ships after April 1st.

2021 Supply

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I ordered a bike last Thurs. Deposit given Monday after confirming with manufacturer. Malpracticing dentist build. LBS says 3-4 weeks subject to part availability/shipping delays/moon cycles/ whims of the rep etc etc. Consider me highly skeptical.
    Posting here purely so I can come back later and complain about it being delayed.
    If I get to ride it this summer I’ll be stoked. If it pushes to fall or later I’ll cancel and ride old steed one more year.
    Well, got the call today that my bike is in - two weeks since ordering.
    Maybe I got lucky, maybe I just happened to order the unicorn that was available, maybe it was already ordered for inventory, maybe someone else cancelled. I dunno, but I might have to try and pick it up tomorrow to make sure this is for real given all the issues the rest of you are having.

After looking for a rigid krampus for two months I found a shop online with one large in stock and free shipping. I don't think I'll actually believe it till it shows up.

It really sux when things are tight and a big dealer orders/backorders every tire coming in for the next 6 months and prepays 50% of it so all of the others get locked out. There goes a large chunk of my potential earnings into the pocket of another rep

that sucks mega but your sales manager is an asshole. a lesson in how not to manage scarcity and yet another reason more brands are looking at direct sales.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It really sux when things are tight and a big dealer orders/backorders every tire coming in for the next 6 months and prepays 50% of it so all of the others get locked out. There goes a large chunk of my potential earnings into the pocket of another rep
    That is some bullshit.
    Sales Mgr is blowing it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not the sales mgr, that came down from the big office. I followed up and it looks like they doubled up on incoming orders so maybe that can get filled. Did you all see the article in BRAIN today about the supply issues? https://www.bicycleretailer.com/inte...5#.YEZu4ugZ6yJ