Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Biggest issue I can see is lack of accuracy or transparency in lead times - the big suppliers simply can't seem to do it and so the panic ordering continues all around. I don't really see how all these orders will be followed through on from the buying end.

Anyways, if you don't need a bike right now, I bet you'll find a really rad one that's barely been ridden at a big discount in 2022/2023. If you do need a bike, consider a smaller brand that might be able to work something out sooner or a frame only and reuse some current parts.
    I will echo this, I am still receiving parts from Shimano orders that were due in June.... I have brakes that were due in October that they think they can get to me by June this year if I am lucky... Getting 90% of a kit doesn't do much for bike brands other than make your bills due 6 months before you can actually sell your product. I'm not complaining about the increase in demand, but swimming in the money we are not. The hardest part of the equation is cash flow, its proven to be a real challenge with up to 400 day lead times on forged parts.

This summer I payed retail on derailleurs, brakes and bottom brackets so bikes could get out the door to dealers and consumers. I also had to purchase 150mm travel forks then ripped them down and installed 120mm air pistons as it was literally the only way we were going to sell a bike in the month of July. Stoked we could find solutions but the margin we make took a HUGE hit. Shipping, Freight and Duty fees all went up at least 10% after pricing was set for the year as well.

At the end of the day its all fucked... I'm sure some in the industry are raking it in but many are not. I am not looking for sympathy here but GL is a good example of what is actually going down.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I will echo this, I am still receiving parts from Shimano orders that were due in June.... I have brakes that were due in October that they think they can get to me by June this year if I am lucky... Getting 90% of a kit doesn't do much for bike brands other than make your bills due 6 months before you can actually sell your product. I'm not complaining about the increase in demand, but swimming in the money we are not. The hardest part of the equation is cash flow, its proven to be a real challenge with up to 400 day lead times on forged parts.

This summer I payed retail on derailleurs, brakes and bottom brackets so bikes could get out the door to dealers and consumers. I also had to purchase 150mm travel forks then ripped them down and installed 120mm air pistons as it was literally the only way we were going to sell a bike in the month of July. Stoked we could find solutions but the margin we make took a HUGE hit. Shipping, Freight and Duty fees all went up at least 10% after pricing was set for the year as well.

At the end of the day its all fucked... I'm sure some in the industry are raking it in but many are not. I am not looking for sympathy here but GL is a good example of what is actually going down.
    We've been buying a lot of parts at retail as well. I can't complain too much, still in business, but it definitely adds another layer of complexity. I will say some of our OE suppliers have really come to bat for me - but it's also really insane that buying a box of chains is somehow a miracle.

I just tried to build a qbp order to $600 for free shipping, I literally couldn’t find anything in stock worth buying.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It is January - maybe take some time to put your bike on the stand and take it apart and inspect everything. If anything looks as if it will need replacement this year go ahead and order the parts.

Been a couple years since you changed your chain ring? Order one. Chain measuring a little stretched but has some life left in it - order one.

While stuff does break on the trail it makes a huge difference to do a little preventative maintenance and avoid emergencies where you can typically order a part and get it 1-2 days or in stock at the local shop.

Yeah, I just pulled the trigger on a load of drivetrain/tires/pads stuff that I don't need yet, but probably will mid season parts unavailability wasteland...found a retailer with everything I needed and just went for it.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Yeah, I just pulled the trigger on a load of drivetrain/tires/pads stuff that I don't need yet, but probably will mid season parts unavailability wasteland...found a retailer with everything I needed and just went for it.
    LOAD UP!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8125.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	789.1 KB 
ID:	358691

that's a few steps beyond what I ordered! ha

Spare RD and cassette? I was actually thinking about an extra RD. I better not need a new cassette within a year.

Jesus christ, this is going to be like the toilet paper thing. I can't find any brake pads but Dee Hubs has 26 pair in his basement.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Jesus christ, this is going to be like the toilet paper thing. I can't find any brake pads but Dee Hubs has 26 pair in his basement.
    No shit. Perpetuating the drought.

One advantage of rocking XTR 10-45 is the cassette's low demand...however, I scoured Shimano to buy anything extra I could, both mtb and road, to no avail (chains, pads, derailleurs, cable/housing, mineral oil, anything). Some stuff has even been completely taken off the site like the new Enduro shoes that were showing in summer and have been absent now for almost 6 months.

Yeah, I kinda thought about buying a bunch of stuff. Then realized that I have a road bike, gravel bike, and mountain bike that all run shimano 11s and disc brakes. so between the 3 I should be able to keep riding. Maybe I'll have to do something dumb and jank it together, but at least then I wouldn't have so much anxiety about which bike to ride that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    LOAD UP!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8125.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	789.1 KB 
ID:	358691
    Were you one of the people who stuffed shopping carts full of toilet paper last spring?

well he does live in whitsler ergo there is a toilet paper/ poo joke in there somewhere
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No hoarding here, I maintain a few bikes for a Pro racer. These will be consumed soon enough. This was a preseason set order based on the components on their new team bikes.
    May of the unique parts I have asked them to request from Shimano are on backorder.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/22/ship...ner%20shipping

re the slow down of goods:

A critical shortage of containers is driving up shipping costs and delays for goods purchased from China.

So where do the requests for parts go? Looking for fc-m7120 in 170mm if anyone might know where to look.

I think you just make a thread that sez

wanted: yada yada

I was only half being serious. Patiently waiting for stock to come in around these parts and hope I can find something... Still have a perfectly good crankset but having it not match really triggers my OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    So where do the requests for parts go? Looking for fc-m7120 in 170mm if anyone might know where to look.
    "Due" back in stock in NA 04/09/21.
    Better than the 9120 which is listed as 08/24/21

The 8120 in 170mm is due instock this week - 01/27/21 for North Carolina warehouse and 02/01/21 for Irvine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    "Due" back in stock in NA 04/09/21.
    Better than the 9120 which is listed as 08/24/21

The 8120 in 170mm is due instock this week - 01/27/21 for North Carolina warehouse and 02/01/21 for Irvine.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    I have 8120's and 9120's...

What chainline are you after?

7120/8120 are 55mm chainline. the 9120 is 52mm with normal q factor, same as 7100/8100.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I'm selling a kids bike. It has *very* nice parts (including a barely-used top-shelf 2021 MY fork) and I'm asking what I feel is an entirely reasonable price (it's listed at 40% less than an equivalent new bike from Norco, and has better wheels). Considering that kids bikes are universally sold out right now and inventory this summer is expected to be nil, the ridiculous low-ball offers I'm getting are positively hilarious. I'm not even mad, I'm impressed. I also don't need the money right away, the bike has some sentimental value, and it's the middle of winter, so crushing the dreams of clueless bottom-feeders has become my new favorite game.

Here's a tip, if you're going to low-ball someone, don't lead with "Would you take [insulting price]? I’m already over budget but have been unable to find any of the bikes I’m interested in."

I just sold my 2009 Ibis MojoSL. Posted the ad 2pm Sunday, had 20 replies by that evening. Half of which were lowballs. Replied to a couple of the first responders who seemed capable of complete sentences and didn't offer a price without seeing the bike.

It went to a guy who was looking to get a friend into MTB, at full asking price. When he told me that I went through all my gear to see what else I could give a new rider... old Camelback pack, extra tires, 26" tubes, chain lube I don't use any more, chain brush, multi-tool, spare pump and shock pump, spare gloves. He really only needs a helmet now to get going. He was stoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I have 8120's and 9120's...

What chainline are you after?

7120/8120 are 55mm chainline. the 9120 is 52mm with normal q factor, same as 7100/8100.
    looking for 7120. have a bike built up with 7100 slx. so mostly just want to get all matchy matchy. 55mm chainline. so 8120 would work. but then I'd feel an urge to upgrade everything.