Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Supply

Glad I overrode my wife’s objections to buying new bikes back in September when we happen to find a LBS with some just arrived stock.

This thread was making me nervous so I just went to the shop and bought some tires and while there, I ended up ordering one of the 20" Norco Fluids (full-suspension, dropper, etc) for my 7-year-old. I cannot believe I just spent that much on a bike for my first grader. But the shop said there were 2 left in the Norco warehouse and they were predicting no more until NOVEMBER.

If this goes sideways with the Mrs. I am blaming it all on Dantheman.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If this goes sideways with the Mrs. I am blaming it all on Dantheman.
    Heh. If the shop guy was right you might be able to flip it for a profit come summer.

You're probably right, but I think little brother would disapprove.

buddy of mine bought his kid a Spawn which is the most expensive bike with 16" wheels, sez the kid loves it rides further, thot it was totally worth the $$$ and it will get passed down to little brother
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A breakdown from an industry perspective on why you don't have your new bike and why nobody knows if it will ever show up

https://nsmb.com/articles/dear-uncle...y-new-bicycle/

Uncle Dave is Canadian so of course at the end he sez " Sorry" which is so Canadain

for all the folks down south, Thots and prayers eh

Well it can't help the supply of dropper posts if dudes are buying them for 7 year olds.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Well it can't help the supply of dropper posts if dudes are buying them for 7 year olds.
    #beforeitwascool
    #trendsetter

Pretty sure 7yr olds aren't going to be using a 185 dropper like me.

I found out I get a 47% discount on Orbea bikes so I looked into buying one. Delivery date unknown on the model/spec I wanted, top end spec was November 2021 so I bailed. Last I heard my Fuji is still slated to arrive this month.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Vibes to all the dentists out there.

Shimano PRO form was worthless in 2020, i sat on one for 6 months and didn't even use it- zippo in stock for anything worthwhile

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I tried to order some things on my Shimano Pro form before Dec 31, before my 2020 allocation amount ran ran out. I was blown away on how depleted the stock level was and how far in future the ETA restock was. I can see the live warehouse inventory and ETA of restocking.
    The worst part of the ETA restock is that all of those parts are most likely spoken for, and will be shipped to retailers to fulfill orders for the shops that have placed these parts on backorder.

I heard today that Shitmano was stopping component support for lower end (sub $1500) bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    I heard today that Shitmano was stopping component support for lower end (sub $1500) bikes.
    Vibes to all the dental hygienists out there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

2 well known tire manufacturers have re-purposed their 26” molds to increase output of 27.5” and 29” tires.

My go-to source of second-hand components has started running out.... he didn't have most of the XT, XTR, or SLX stuff I wanted. Through PB and eBay I was just barely able to put together an XT/XTR drivetrain for a new build this month. I've also noticed that sellers- both on PB and retailers on eBay, etc- have started jacking up prices for new or lightly-used components too.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    My go-to source of second-hand components has started running out.... he didn't have most of the XT, XTR, or SLX stuff I wanted. Through PB and eBay I was just barely able to put together an XT/XTR drivetrain for a new build this month. I've also noticed that sellers- both on PB and retailers on eBay, etc- have started jacking up prices for new or lightly-used components too.
    Been picking things off as I see them for a drivetrain.

I ordered the XTR shifter I wanted on Amazon and they shipped me a friggin i-spec instead of the band clamp I ordered, grrrrrr.

I've been planning to sell a couple old bikes that have been sitting around. Currently reconsidering that, as having a functional backup could be the difference between being able to ride or not if my main bike goes down and I can't get a needed part.

On the plus side it did save me from dumping a whole bunch of money into my perfectly good new bike. "hey these guide r brakes kind of suck, sure would be rad to have some of those shiny xtr 4-pots... but if I get the brakes I probably need the drivetrain too. This GX is mediocre and things wouldn't match."

At the time I could even have scrounged up a working collection, shimano had the brakes, had the shifter, cassette, but no 1x12 long cage derailleur, only the 2x12 and the short cage for the 10-45 cassette. Either of those probably would have worked fine but I didn't order anything. And I decided I'd rather have a new real XC bike than try to make the hei hei light enough. Better get on that, hoping I can get an orbea alma of some sort here before june, and that I'll even be able to use it. Outlook not so good.
    Last edited by jamal; 01-13-2021 at 01:52 PM.

I've bought some Cane Creek stuff lately (CC Inline Coil, the new Helm II) and they've been quick to deliver... usually within two weeks even with shit-slow USPS delivery lately. I just looked at the Helm II 29'er, and now it's not being shipped until September. Damn.

I was looking to get a 2nd shimano cassette and a new chain for my aspero today from my hookup at the former employer, terrifying to see the backorder timeframes.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

if you are pretty happy with your ride its probably a good year ( or 2 ) to stand pat

is there a reason for the industry to ramp up production or will they just back-fill the hole created by the pandemic ?

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    having a functional backup could be my only source for spare parts in 2021.
    Fixed it for you.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I do that ^^with my ski touring rigs and i got a whole Fat bike full of parts for my enduro bike ... bring it 2021

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Ha, its an old enough bike not much could transfer over. 26", 1 1/8" steerer fork, narrow bars, long stem, different sized post, etc. Brakes and saddle, maybe cranks in a pinch but how often do you replace those? The value here is the fully functioning bike.