Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Supply

This situation wi not be helped by all the Biden Bucks hitting bank accounts this weekend.

Right? I'm thinking about a totally senseless upgrade funded by other people's children's future debt.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

just got updates from HLC for shimano 12 speed chains availability Feb 17, 2022

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    just got updates from HLC for shimano 12 speed chains availability Feb 17, 2022
    Just wanted to give a shout-out to gravitylover for mentioning chain scarcity. Thanks! The usual suspects are already out of better quality 12-spd Shimano chains, so I snagged an OEM XT from a seller on Pinkbike. That should bridge me to the other side of this mess, since most of my miles go on the 11-speed trail bike or my SS. Note: mind the link count if you go this route!

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Just wanted to give a shout-out to gravitylover for mentioning chain scarcity. Thanks! The usual suspects are already out of better quality 12-spd Shimano chains, so I snagged an OEM XT from a seller on Pinkbike. That should bridge me to the other side of this mess, since most of my miles go on the 11-speed trail bike or my SS. Note: mind the link count if you go this route!
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about... there are 300+ results when I look for 12-speed Shimano chains on eBay. Sure some of the pricing is a little inflated, but there are plenty of options under $50 including SLX and XT.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm not sure what you guys are talking about... there are 300+ results when I look for 12-speed Shimano chains on eBay. Sure some of the pricing is a little inflated, but there are plenty of options under $50 including SLX and XT.
    This test <https://www.emtbforums.com/shimano-12-speed-chain-test-slx-vs-xt/> convinced me to look for XT. Only 10 ebay listings for N. America, and some of those are only 116 links. I figured I'd grab one now for $42 while cheap and available. But yeah, Deore is still available all day long, and for many that's a viable option.

You're welcome NMJ and that's what I was saying is, if you're ok with the sacrifice in performance use a Deore chain because if you need a chain and can't ride without one it will do the job. Maybe not as well as the unobtanium one but riding is better than not riding.

There are three companies with parts made by Sun Race sitting in containers on boats off the west coast now so inexpensive cassettes, deraileurs and some other stuff is delayed a few more weeks.

I think I have tracked down all the parts for the upcoming build, but financially it’s either buy the frame first and save for another couple paychecks for the parts purchase or vice versa, always assumed would go option 1) frame then parts, but should I reverse this thinking?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

2021 Supply

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I think I have tracked down all the parts for the upcoming build, but financially it痴 either buy the frame first and save for another couple paychecks for the parts purchase or vice versa, always assumed would go option 1) frame then parts, but should I reverse this thinking?
    I started chasing parts before I decided on the frame. Once I decided on the frame it dictated the wheelset. I知 down to cables, housing, headset spacers and a stem still on the shopping list.

Now I知 chasing backup shimano chains...

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

I think I have tracked down all the parts for the upcoming build, but financially it’s either buy the frame first and save for another couple paychecks for the parts purchase or vice versa, always assumed would go option 1) frame then parts, but should I reverse this thinking?
    Credit cards are whack but if there was ever a reason to get an X-months interest-free card this might be it.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Credit cards are whack but if there was ever a reason to get an X-months interest-free card this might be it.
    Hahahahahahahaha.

I laugh because we’re way past available credit card debt. The last four years as a mid 30s grad student was an interesting time
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I壇 honestly recommend securing parts and a fork first, then frame. Small/mid sized companies should have frame/shocks available - but it痴 the kits that are scarce. Particularly Shimano and GX.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^ yup.

From my experience as just a guy trying to build one bike Shimano drivetrain parts look to be more scarce than SRAM.

2021 Supply

I知 softly looking for 11 speed Ultegra stuff, cable brakes, so if any of you successfully grab some 12 speed stuff and wanna get rid of the 11s lemme know.

Full XT drivetrain, $700:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2021-Sh...QAAOSwGYNfOhcv

It's about $150'ish more than during non-CoVid times but that's not bad, considering.

This is probably a better deal, doesn't include the crankset but it's $250+ cheaper:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DEO...4AAOSwta1gNILr

Hahahahahahahaha.

I laugh because we池e way past available credit card debt. The last four years as a mid 30s grad student was an interesting time
    I hope you qualify for stimulus money!
    I remember what it was like living in an expensive city for grad school ... it took me like 7 years to get out of that financial hole.

I hope you have renters insurance though - if not, seriously, just get it through your auto insurer ASAP. It痴 a worthwhile overhead payment when you are *that* strapped for cash and having a bike stolen would be devastating. And it covers theft of your stuff anywhere, not just from your residence.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamArtist View Post
    I hope you qualify for stimulus money!
    I remember what it was like living in an expensive city for grad school ... it took me like 7 years to get out of that financial hole.

I hope you have renters insurance though - if not, seriously, just get it through your auto insurer ASAP. It’s a worthwhile overhead payment when you are *that* strapped for cash and having a bike stolen would be devastating. And it covers theft of your stuff anywhere, not just from your residence.
    Oh yeah have renters insurance.
    And credit card debt is set on auto pay
    this is just tax refund / stimulus / a few extra coin money -

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I started chasing parts before I decided on the frame. Once I decided on the frame it dictated the wheelset. I’m down to cables, housing, headset spacers and a stem still on the shopping list.

Now I’m chasing backup shimano chains...

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    https://www.tbsbikeparts.com/bike-pa...n-bike-chains/

thanks, got 11sp and 12sp taken care of last night

Man, I had an XT rear mech in my cart on Amazon and kept forgetting to place the order. Now it's in gouge territory. Any opinions on the SLX?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

bags - weight aside there's very little functional difference in my experience based on 11s XT/SLX/STR stuff. I say save the money.

I do always stick to XT/Ultegra and higher chains though, think they shift noticeably better

I'm just going to let it ride. I already have a few spare tires and sets of brake pads in the house, a second bike with a little-used drivetrain that's fully compatible with my bike, AC's bike is brand-new and she's not the "breaks stuff" type, and with a new dog in the house trail running might be the call more often than not this summer. [/blowsondice]

Thanks, VT. That was my experience BITD, but I haven't run Shimano for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm just going to let it ride. I already have a few spare tires and sets of brake pads in the house, a second bike with a little-used drivetrain that's fully compatible with my bike, AC's bike is brand-new and she's not the "breaks stuff" type, and with a new dog in the house trail running might be the call more often than not this summer. [/blowsondice]

I can poach most things from other bikes, but the new bike is the only one with Shimano. I've broken enough derailleurs to know I'm not that lucky. I'm kinda on the fence between ordering an SLX versus getting an XD freehub. I've got enough GX drivetrains to get me through a couple pandemics.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    bags - weight aside there's very little functional difference in my experience based on 11s XT/SLX/STR stuff. I say save the money.
    i think its all really pretty amazing stuff, the thumb shifter might be the place where you will notice choosing the high end ??

i am all Shimano I think i could swap parts Fat bike to enduro or just ride the fat bike
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Full XT drivetrain, $700:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2021-Sh...QAAOSwGYNfOhcv

It's about $150'ish more than during non-CoVid times but that's not bad, considering.

This is probably a better deal, doesn't include the crankset but it's $250+ cheaper:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-DEO...4AAOSwta1gNILr
    Buy the drivetrain set then add the SLX 7100 crank set. Its only 11g heavier and can be had for under $150 including BB and chainring. Of course the mtb crowd is a bunch of prima donnas so the difference in letters on the crank arms will probably be enough to dissuade most.