Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Valley Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Russet Burbank View Post

“Our theory is Mr. Plowman was skiing, at high speed, in knee-deep powder snow and snagged a ski which launched him in the air,” Turley stated. “He fell unconscious and died of asphyxiation.”
    ]

Lot’s of worse ways to go.

RIP in peace, Plowman!

Skiing down to warm springs road has some inherent risk over and above avy's. I recall listening to a local radio station in the 80's, maybe early 90s and a rescue was being conducted there. Bob Smith (Smith goggles) was the injured party & had struck a fallen, buried tree about boot-top high. I always had concerns about the not so deep base with a fresh snowfall just deep enough to hide objective hazards. Powder mania takes over every time 8" or more falls but it's real important to understand what may lie just beneath the surface. I had my lesson and thankfully just a yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    looks like tomorrow is the day

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKzwxzdARdM/
    There was some happy people today.

Quote Originally Posted by L82thegate View Post
    Skiing down to warm springs road has some inherent risk over and above avy's. I recall listening to a local radio station in the 80's, maybe early 90s and a rescue was being conducted there. Bob Smith (Smith goggles) was the injured party & had struck a fallen, buried tree about boot-top high. I always had concerns about the not so deep base with a fresh snowfall just deep enough to hide objective hazards. Powder mania takes over every time 8" or more falls but it's real important to understand what may lie just beneath the surface. I had my lesson and thankfully just a yard sale.
    Yeah I won’t ski out there until we get significant snow on the ground. Amazing to me how low tide people are prepared to ski out there.

There was some happy people today.
    Heard it was good. Heard the snowboarders really gummed up the flattish access and bike path traverse......

Refrozen crud in Turkey Bowl this morning. Should have known better. The Glades skied well but no easy way to get there. Hey, the rest of the mountain is in good shape, north facing especially.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Heard it was good. Heard the snowboarders really gummed up the flattish access and bike path traverse......
    Hopefully we get some snow that attracks a few less skiers next time around.

On wednesday, I had a few people ask me if I knew where we were, and what was the easiest way down. I said 'yes and there isn't an easy way down". I think there should be better signage at the entries - there really isn't any EASY way down.

CK

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post
    On wednesday, I had a few people ask me if I knew where we were, and what was the easiest way down. I said 'yes and there isn't an easy way down". I think there should be better signage at the entries - there really isn't any EASY way down.

CK
    Kind of think they should put a beacon gate there at the top like allot of other resorts do with similar terrain. I know it’s easy to buy a beacon but it is at least one form of down select to more qualified riders for the terrain.

My band is playing at Whiskeys tonight. Come say hi. I’ll be the one with the FKNA shirt on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ve had some fun nights there. Cool that you can play. I really miss live music.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’ve had some fun nights there. Cool that you can play. I really miss live music.
    Agreed. We used to play up here quite a bit, but it’s been a year. Really glad to be back in it. Looks like you guys need some snow up here.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    My band is playing at Whiskeys tonight. Come say hi. I’ll be the one with the FKNA shirt on.

What's your bands name?

Marmalade Hill
    Sometimes referred to as Marmalade Chill if we're doing a smaller acoustic set.

How are conditions typically toward late March?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    How are conditions typically toward late March?
    I went there in late March once. It rained for like 2 days heavy before I got there, and then got cold, so the mountain was all fucked up. After about a day though, they buffed out most of the runs and it warmed up enough that things got soft again. The tougher terrain was closed the whole week but bowls were fine and everything else was a-o-k. Great little trip that was, turned out to be the last time I'd ski with my mom.

Anyhow, the old people who live there told me late March is when the dirt starts to show and things start to wind down. But still totally worth it IMO. Days are long and the air is warm. Apparently the fishing is A+ at that time as well but the skiing was good enough that the old man and I didn't get around to doing that.

Tons of man made under the meager snowfall we've had so far. Last March 13th the mtn was skiing very well. Had minor snowfall both on the 14th and 15th, but the 15th turned out to be the last day. Can be some great corn snow the last 6 weeks of the season.

I've been looking at the Sun Valley webcams and all that sun sure is a contrast compared to the Seattle gloom this time of year. I really think it's still too early to travel for skiing due to COVID, but I'm getting antsy. Alaska airlines had a BOGO sale that ended yesterday and my wife and I could have both traveled direct from SeaTac to Hailey for about $300. That's awfully tempting. I've never skied at Sun Valley.

I've been looking at the Sun Valley webcams and all that sun sure is a contrast compared to the Seattle gloom this time of year. I really think it's still too early to travel for skiing due to COVID, but I'm getting antsy. Alaska airlines had a BOGO sale that ended yesterday and my wife and I could have both traveled direct from SeaTac to Hailey for about $300. That's awfully tempting. I've never skied at Sun Valley.
    Just go for it, be careful and diligent. Cases are dropping all across North America - by the middle of March things may not be looking so grim.

End of season is great! Sunny, often corn skiing and festive. Longer days and yes bwo fishing or midges can be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Cases are dropping all across North America - by the middle of March things may not be looking so grim.
    Dropping now, but expected to start going up again due to the new variants taking off.

Your the only skier from Seattle that hasn't been here this season.

The skiing was great today in the bowls - cold, chalky snow and no people, It looks like this weekend - Thursday thru Monday - could be max. capacity (6000 tickets). Our Covid numbers will probably spike in 6 to 10 days. We're gonna go to the cabin...

CK

Sun Valley Beta

Dropping now, but expected to start going up again due to the new variants taking off.
    I live in Sun Valley. Our family had COVID in October. Just got positive tests again yesterday after multiple days of feeling like shit. Wife is suffering pretty hard.

Likely spreader event was post evening skin beers at Lefty’s. Stupidly assumed I had more immunity being only 3-4 months since we had it. We were still pretty careful but having already had it we allowed ourselves the odd indulgence of normalcy. 3 others at the table got it too within a couple of days. One had already had it in March. So 2 reinfections.

I think reinfection is going to start to be a big thing, particularly with the variants.

Take that data point as you will.

Your the only skier from Seattle that hasn't been here this season.
    Haha. This.