Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Valley Beta

The world over I might add. My little ski town in Europe is looking very different now too…

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Lots of timber coming off the mountain too. Flying Squirrel run being extended. Glading out towards Scorpion. Lower Frenchmans around Au Jus and French Dip cleared.
    Probably need the timber for all that needed housing in Ketchum and Hailey. Looking forward to some glade skiing next trip hopefully this winter season.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I hear the Bluebird is not going to start until April 2023. Is this the next Ketchum hole in the ground?

CK

Does Ketchum have more money than Jackson? Didn't it used to.

The area behind baldy to Fairfield is wild country id like to explore more

I think a lot of the new Ketchum money is coming from Aspen. If you want to explore the area between SV and Fairfield, you can drive out warmsprings to wells summit to Fairfield and out willow creek. In the winter you'll need a snowmobile or a helicopter. I've ridden my dirtbike thru all that you're talking about-it's big country

CK

In the 5 minute drive yesterday past the Hailey airport there was a Delta jet parked. United was taxiing and a private jet was lined up to land. I had no idea.
    off your knees Louie

They live here now...

CK

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Does Ketchum have more money than Jackson? Didn't it used to.
    Ketchum had money, long before Jackson even had a lift.

Ketchum had money before we invented lifts.

CK

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    In the 5 minute drive yesterday past the Hailey airport there was a Delta jet parked. United was taxiing and a private jet was lined up to land. I had no idea.
    You should see the airport at Christmas/New Years. They probably have to park the smaller private jets on the streets now.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

They drop their people in Hailey, and park the plane in Twin Falls.

CK

I drove through Ketchum last year on the trip to Stanley, took a few minutes to walk around and got some coffee at my wife checked out the thrift store. She insisted I come take a look.

I was blown away as there were several 1990s/00s absolute top of the line titanium XC race mountain bikes there for sale for a few hundred bucks.
    A fully xtr, SID kitted Dean with every drool worthy bit from the 90s etc.

Sure, not terribly desirable for most now, but when the 1% clean out their closets, look out.

Sounds like the place should be called the goldmine

And scrounging through the ski boots to score hardly used Intuition liners has been a fruitful endeavor.

The GM Pete Sonntag was on the Storm Skiing podcast this past week and talked a little about the new Challenger w/ middle unload.

Basically said that it's going from 13:30 mins (ish not exact on this) to "8 minutes and change"

Not that anyone here would give a shit about this but given it covers the most vert of any lift in the country this would be THE lift to get the most vert in a single day in the country I would assume in say a standard 7 hour ski day.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    The GM Pete Sonntag was on the Storm Skiing podcast this past week and talked a little about the new Challenger w/ middle unload.

Basically said that it's going from 13:30 mins (ish not exact on this) to "8 minutes and change"

Not that anyone here would give a shit about this but given it covers the most vert of any lift in the country this would be THE lift to get the most vert in a single day in the country I would assume in say a standard 7 hour ski day.
    This would also be the lift to take to get to the top first on a pow day. Just sayin'!

The new short lift up plaza (picabo) might open earlier than the top on a control morning.

CK

I lived in Twin Falls for a winter and learned a little about the history of Sun Valley. I found it interesting.

Ketchum was pretty much your average boom and bust mining town, but in 1936 when the Union Pacific rail line decided to invent a ski resort Sun Valley was born. The CVB does a good job of telling the story for those who want to read more...

https://www.visitsunvalley.com/about...alley/history/

He probably thinks it's not going to snow...

CK

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post
    He probably thinks it's not going to snow...

CK

That might just do it for the rest of us.

Maybe he's seen the writing on the wall and is leaving the WRV for greener pastures.

So with all the coldness and endless water for snowmaking, what are looking at on turkey day? College to college is always fun but hoping for a little more to spread some folks out. No matter what I am stoked to be skiing in the valley of the sun soon!

Could be more...Ridge, Canyon, Blue Grouse, Mid and Upper River, maybe Squirrel.

We'll see you up there..

CK

OK, i'm ready. Open Warmsprings.

CK