Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Valley Beta

Just a bump - It's looking pretty good season on Baldy.

CK

Was that you in College South Slopes yesterday about 11? Good stuff. Best early season in my 25 years here.

Guilty. We're skiing stuff we haven't seen for quite a while. Plus all the new stuff from last year. Have you been out Gun Ridge, under the new lift? So much for all those that think Baldy is a groomer mountain for old people. Oops, maybe they're talking about me.

So what's the scoop on spring skiing at Sun Valley. Seems like a pretty good season so far. Is late March likely to still be good? How about even into April? I need to get over there one of these years.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    So what's the scoop on spring skiing at Sun Valley. Seems like a pretty good season so far. Is late March likely to still be good? How about even into April? I need to get over there one of these years.
    The sun will be out and that fixes just about everything. Unless there is no more snow forthcoming there will be fun to be had.

I hope I don't jinx it. This is my 45th winter here, or maybe 46th - I'm old. This looks like the half dozen REALLY good seasons I've seen. Like the sinner says, as long as it keeps snowing, spring should be awesome.

CK

Be sure to apres at Buckwheats before dancing what’s left of the night away at Club Dynamite.

Since we’re looking ahead here’s a look at the next 2 weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641739292.726802.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	400279

Not great for us. Some weather guys I follow expect the rest of the season to be a more typical La Niña… wet PNW, snowy Tetons and maybe Wasatch…dry California. Sun Valley snow comes in best from the SW. When Tahoe gets hammered we get it too. We get shadowed in a NW flow.
    In the meantime we will enjoy the awesome conditions today.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

last two years we went 2nd weekend in march (snowbasin pass days). We switched to valentines weekend due to low snow we had last year, and ok snow in 2020 (we were at closing pandemic spooky weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I was there a few years ago, late March. When I rolled in to town they had just gotten like a foot of rain on the mtn, which subsequently froze solid. Still had an awesome 4 days, and it warmed up as the week progressed. Top of the bowls were okay, lower mtn ungroomed was fine once it softened up.

Just go with the mindset of "i'm going to crush my vert records on these groomers" and you'll have a lot of fun. Bonus if interesting terrain is open. Sun Valley is a wonderful place - I can't wait to go back.

Headed out to SV next week and looking at touring options.

Anyone with beta on BC skiing out of Soldier Mountain? I inquired about access and was told by staff that I can't skin out past their yurt and get turns because it will "damage the product they are selling to cat ski guests".

Is this legit or legal?

There's plenty of touring in the Wood River valley- no need to go to Soldier. Check in at Backwoods or the Elephant's Perch. North valley (Galena) has a bad layer, but there is actually a better (safer) snow pack mid-valley. Have fun.

CK

heading up to burn my snowbasin days on friday and sat (maybe sunday, idk). I know it's high and dry (just like Utah).

Anyone want to meet up for some laps?

Also if anyone has any buddy pass vouchers or other discounts they of lift tickets they won't end up using my wife is thinking about skiing Saturday. Would love to buy you a beer to say thanks!

I got hooked up last year by Hopeless Sinner, thanks again. Also reciprocal to snowbasin if you are in the area

Would also take any recommendations for food thurs/fri/sat. Nothing fancy. We are staying just off village property. I will also read the thread
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 02-07-2022 at 03:55 PM.

had a great time all things considering. My favorite runs were the glades below i-80 between limelight and peekaboo street and then yesterday at about two I found the glades between cancan and french dip to be absolutely perfect. Practically bump free chalky goodness. I did 7 laps on frenchmans to close out the day.

ate at pioneer (you really need to get there no later than 5 if you want a table), grumpys and at the sawtooth club. A fantastic time as always.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    heading up to burn my snowbasin days on friday and sat (maybe sunday, idk). I know it's high and dry (just like Utah).

Anyone want to meet up for some laps?

Also if anyone has any buddy pass vouchers or other discounts they of lift tickets they won't end up using my wife is thinking about skiing Saturday. Would love to buy you a beer to say thanks!

I got hooked up last year by Hopeless Sinner, thanks again. Also reciprocal to snowbasin if you are in the area

Would also take any recommendations for food thurs/fri/sat. Nothing fancy. We are staying just off village property. I will also read the thread

Didn't see this, sorry.

nbd, didn't want to be that guy that only sends a message when they want something. I love giving the holdings their $170

Heading your way tonight for 2 days. Think we might ski SV tomorrow and tour on Saturday. Can anybody recommend me a ski tour? Coming from the Tetons so familiar with the current state of snow. Maybe alpine S facing might provide corn?? Don't need explicit directions but would love to hear a handful of trailheads that are popular touring spots aside from Galena. Would be curious about mid valley options as well.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Yeah it isn't great out there. Saturday afternoon, maybe. S facing, N of town. I wish I had better news.

22-23 SV Challenger Pass w MC and Ikon! Are we done w the EPIC next season?

yes you are hopeless. snowbasin did the same thing obviously.

Lift upgrades on the Warm Springs side?

- replace challenger with a 6 pack with unload station near grayhawk
    - new lift from warm springs to top of flying squirrel

https://liftblog.com/2022/08/02/sun-...springs-lifts/

Lots of timber coming off the mountain too. Flying Squirrel run being extended. Glading out towards Scorpion. Lower Frenchmans around Au Jus and French Dip cleared.

This is great news!

I'm lovin it !!

CK

A Town’s Housing Crisis Exposes a ‘House of Cards’

Here's some beta for ya...

Near the private jets that shuttle billionaires to their opulent Sun Valley getaways, Ana Ramon Bartolome and her family have spent this summer living in the only place available to them: behind a blue tarp in a sweltering two-car garage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/31/u...e-housing.html

Not like this isn't happening all over.

And not just in ski towns.