Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Valley Beta

At least 4 treewell incidents on the mountain today. One was possibly fatal. Skier triggered slides into homes on Warm Springs. Search happening now out the board ranch for another skier triggered slide.

Be careful.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    At least 4 treewell incidents on the mountain today. One was possibly fatal. Skier triggered slides into homes on Warm Springs. Search happening now out the board ranch for another skier triggered slide.

Be careful.
    That sucks. Hopefully every one comes out okay. They probably almost never have to deal with tree well situations out there
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post

Be careful.
    That's rough. Why would people take the chance on skiing OB? There is a huge flashing "avalanche warning" coming into town that's been there for days. Today's incidents happened in locations that are readily known to slide and have been the scence of serious injuries and deaths in the not too distant past. Yesterday SVSP reports the longest runouts from control work that have been seen for 30 years. The accicident information and other report is readily available to anyone w 5 mins to spare.

https://www.sawtoothavalanche.com/av...ident-reports/

Idaho Mtn Express:

"Sources saw a skier exiting The Burn slide in Board Ranch after he was caught and carried on Friday, Davis said. A party of two was caught on Double Ought, where one member of the party sustained an injury and lost a ski in the slide. The other managed to hike up to a patrol shack on Baldy to get a replacement so they could get off the mountain, Davis said.

The skier-caused avalanche on Scorpion hit three houses on Skiway Drive, Ketchum spokeswoman Lisa Enourato told the Mountain Express.
    All skiers involved were "out and safe," Davis said."

Just heard 1 or 2 may have died today; perhaps the tree wells got them.

Sucks people are headed OB when danger is high, puts others at risk unknowingly. Stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    Sucks people are headed OB when danger is high, puts others at risk unknowingly. Stupid.

These aren't places where the uninitiated go, they have been there many times before I'm sure so I would say they knowingly put others at risk.

No shit

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Skier View Post
    Yeah heavy snow on champagne powder will get yah!

Hopefully once all this consolidates then we can get some of the new terrain open.

One confirmed dead inbounds, a 67 yo local man. No cause was published yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Russet Burbank View Post
    One confirmed dead inbounds, a 67 yo local man. No cause was published yet.
    Heart attack I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Heart attack I believe.
    Did you go up during the storm? I skied Wednesday afternoon, and enjoyed it very much. I skipped today - a superspreader event, I should have gone to Dollar instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Russet Burbank View Post
    Did you go up during the storm? I skied Wednesday afternoon, and enjoyed it very much. I skipped today - a superspreader event, I should have gone to Dollar instead.
    Wednesday morning, Thursday afternoon (Wife skied the morning), Friday morning.

Skipped the shit show Saturday and took the 20 month old on her first ever quarter dollar ride! 4 laps, more than I would have got at Baldy!!!

It seems like all the "live here nows" bought season passes and have major FOMO. It's hopefully going to calm down a little, and we can have our mountain back. It's too bad the Turkey Bowl area is now inbounds and closeable. We would have been out there, skiing the shitty conditions, and somewhat stabilizing the snowpack. As it is, now it's a ticking time bomb, that has to be controled before they can open the new lift. Maybe this is the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post
    It seems like all the "live here nows" bought season passes and have major FOMO. It's hopefully going to calm down a little, and we can have our mountain back. It's too bad the Turkey Bowl area is now inbounds and closeable. We would have been out there, skiing the shitty conditions, and somewhat stabilizing the snowpack. As it is, now it's a ticking time bomb, that has to be controled before they can open the new lift. Maybe this is the new normal.
    That’s an interesting take. Hadn’t thought about it like that.

Although given the number of people starting to head out there, many without gear, and given the terrain certainly has potential for consequences, maybe something was needed.

But it is crappy they can now close it. Still excited to ski the new glades around the bike path.....eventually.

Doesn’t help they built the new lift across an avi slope either....

At least the new lift location is farther down Broadway than the original proposal - right at the bottom of one of the Coldspring chutes. I'm excited about the glades on the backside of gun ridge below Otto's bench. AT gear required - that'll thin out the crowd.

CK

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Wednesday morning, Thursday afternoon (Wife skied the morning), Friday morning.

Skipped the shit show Saturday and took the 20 month old on her first ever quarter dollar ride! 4 laps, more than I would have got at Baldy!!!
    Sweet. I should have gone to Dollar yesterday myself. I used to load chairs on qtr dollar in the early 80's. Thankfully kids wear helmets these days!

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post
    At least the new lift location is farther down Broadway than the original proposal - right at the bottom of one of the Coldspring chutes. I'm excited about the glades on the backside of gun ridge below Otto's bench. AT gear required - that'll thin out the crowd.

CK
    Interesting, I didn’t realize the other side of gun ridge was gladed.

Not gladed, just glades. Like all the good stuff we've been skiing outside the rope. Natchel' style ...
    CK

I did hear that they gladed Numbers though. Now they just need to let us ski it....

CK

Ski patrol is out in expansion area doing control in the expansion area-probably won't open today. Maybe tomorrow. Be safe out there.

CK

Idaho Mtn Express:

"The weekend death of a Hailey resident on Bald Mountain will be ruled an accident after an autopsy found that Gregory Plowman died of asphyxiation following a likely snow immersion Friday morning, Twin Falls County Coroner Gene Turley confirmed on Monday.

Plowman, 67, died on Friday evening at St. Luke's Magic Valley Medical Center in Twin Falls after apparently falling headfirst into deep, loose snow on the at the ski area, Turley wrote in a Monday statement to the Idaho Mountain Express.

Plowman was found unresponsive around 10:25 a.m. Friday in the vicinity of Sunny Side Bowl, according to a statement from the Sun Valley Resort.

“Our theory is Mr. Plowman was skiing, at high speed, in knee-deep powder snow and snagged a ski which launched him in the air,” Turley stated. “He fell unconscious and died of asphyxiation.”

Plowman did suffer other injuries in the fall, Turley said, “but none were fatal.”"

https://www.mtexpress.com/news/coron...4d695dd28.html

looks like tomorrow is the day

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKzwxzdARdM/