Page 91 of 226 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 5634
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    It’s easier to make fine distinctions within the familiar. Explaining why Brits will notice dozens of separate accents within the UK.
    The unfamiliar is perceived as homogenized. Which is why the question might be seen as eerily close to “All black people look the same”
    That's why I asked the question. I can't tell if it's a personal bias or not. I agree that experience is a huge factor. When you're a kid everyone who speaks English who's not from the U.S. sounds British. It takes time to realize English people and Australians sound different. Then you realize someone from London sounds different than someone from Manchester, etc. I feel like I'm pretty good at making those distinctions now, but I'm not so sure I could tell what part of the U.S. a black person was from based on their accent like I could a white person.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's why I asked the question. I can't tell if it's a personal bias or not. I agree that experience is a huge factor. When you're a kid everyone who speaks English who's not from the U.S. sounds British. It takes time to realize English people and Australians sound different. Then you realize someone from London sounds different thank someone from Manchester, etc.
    Just a bunch of cunts.

That's why I asked the question. I can't tell if it's a personal bias or not. I agree that experience is a huge factor. When you're a kid everyone who speaks English who's not from the U.S. sounds British. It takes time to realize English people and Australians sound different. Then you realize someone from London sounds different than someone from Manchester, etc. I feel like I'm pretty good at making those distinctions now, but I'm not so sure I could tell what part of the U.S. a black person was from based on their accent like I could a white person.
    You ever come across a bloke from Leatherhead? Fuckers don't even speak English...

I'll bet if you heard audio recordings of random Americans speaking you'd be able to identify their race in the majority of cases. Their skin color has nothing to do with it, but who they listened and spoke to while growing up does.
    All you need to do is put a for sale ad with your phone number on craigslist to confirm that one.

The there's the Hollywood accent from the 40's and 50's--an accent that was taught to studio actors and sounded like no human in the real world. It was supposed to sound classy, I think.

Prefer zero degrees F with zero wind, or 15 F and 30mph wind at and above treeline?

0 zero

Definitely the zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Prefer zero degrees F with zero wind, or 15 F and 30mph wind at and above treeline?
    Zero zero

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Are black people less affected by regional accents than white people? I feel like I can clearly differentiate, say, a Boston accent from a Texas accent in a white person very quickly, but black people seem to speak more uniformly. Do you think that's actually true or just a bias from not hearing as many black people speak? And are we allowed to ask questions like this anymore?
    As you live in Pugetopolis and proably don't play street pickup BBall , it's a bias from you not hearing as many black people

Yes you can ask. In the Padded Room.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Are black people less affected by regional accents than white people? I feel like I can clearly differentiate, say, a Boston accent from a Texas accent in a white person very quickly, but black people seem to speak more uniformly. Do you think that's actually true or just a bias from not hearing as many black people speak? And are we allowed to ask questions like this anymore?

We live in one of the few racially integrated neighborhoods in the city (one of eight out of 240 that doesn't have a clear racial majority) and I go out of of my way to placate the 10-14 age range boys that roam the alleys. It is disappointing how many times I need have to ask some of those kids to repeat themselves before I can understand what they're saying and I grew up with my dad's side of the family speaking a hard Baltimore accent. More than one of the kids has had to use their 'white voice'.

I have family from coastal Maine, NH, and MA. About a hundred mile span and three completely different languages. I'm from northern VT and they all say I'M the one with the weird accent.

That's one accent different than you. There are accents. Jamaican would be an example I bet you would probably hear differently than street talk.

What I want to know is why all those elderly couples from India look alike?
    Last edited by wooley12; 02-04-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Fuck the wind. Just fuck it.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Code-switching is a thing boys and girls. You'd be surprised at how kids of all backgrounds can proper up when I tell them to get their shit together or they are going to jail, and pull that shit out of your face, and wear some decent clothes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Aluminum foil: Shiny side out, or shiny side toward the food?

However many are in a shit ton.

Out. You are trying to radiate and create a slow heat shield.

My foil hat is useless unless I make it with the shiny side out, so I would assume it’s the same for food.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My foil hat is useless unless I make it with the shiny side out, so I would assume it’s the same for food.
    But, has it worked?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    But, has it worked?
    Clearly, or they wouldn’t have sent you to ask me that.

Negligible difference.

FYI, the shiny/dull thing is just an effect from the manufacturing process: two sheets get fed between rollers at the same time (double the production/set of rollers). The shiny side is the side that was to the outside, touching the rollers, the dull side is where the sheets were face-to-face.

(Also, the guy who does safety training at the plant has no fingers on one hand cause he lost them all in an accident at the plant. Most dangerous fucking plant I’ve ever seen.)

[QUOTE=J. Barron DeJong;6535223]Negligible difference./QUOTE]

Try this in your camper, then post back factory boy.

I've always thought the shiny side was more reflective of heat so which way you faced it would depend what you're trying to do, i.e keep heat in or out.

However I bet de jong's right, how much difference could it really make?

[QUOTE=MakersTeleMark;6535225]
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Negligible difference./QUOTE]

Try this in your camper, then post back factory boy.
    It’s not just me saying this, it’s from the engineers in charge of producing the shit. It’s a question they apparently get asked all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Negligible difference.

FYI, the shiny/dull thing is just an effect from the manufacturing process: two sheets get fed between rollers at the same time (double the production/set of rollers). The shiny side is the side that was to the outside, touching the rollers, the dull side is where the sheets were face-to-face.

(Also, the guy who does safety training at the plant has no fingers on one hand cause he lost them all in an accident at the plant. Most dangerous fucking plant I’ve ever seen.)
    And how do we have this information?