Page 112 of 226 FirstFirst ... 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 5637
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Or maybe not. Their server is down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    hitting lotsa sites that are down this afternoon
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    That's the "chicken" lane.
    Tell you what though, first time I pulled into the center lane to go left onto Rt 1 in Moody, I told my wife "this may freak you out a little.". It did. But she appreciated the heads up. I didn't use it as a travel lane. I waited. Traffic gets heavy on that road and the lights are so far apart that you will almost never get the chance to turn left during daylight hours in July or August.

Wait, people don’t normally turn into that lane? That’s like the whole reason it’s there

That's the "chicken" lane.
    Heh. Best answer yet.

It’s like passing on the right
    Over the white line. It’s a way of life here.
    I have to check my behavior in other jurisdictions

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Wait, people don’t normally turn into that lane? That’s like the whole reason it’s there
    Most people use it to turn left off the road, not turn left onto it.

Most people use it to turn left off the road, not turn left onto it.
    It occurred to me today that maybe I had it all wrong, thanks for confirming that for me, ya never know.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It's a little wack using that center lane to turn left onto a road but sometimes it's the play when traffic makes it hard to do otherwise. Finding and timing gaps on both the near side and the far side at the same time can be tough. I wouldn't make a habit of it but I've done it.

We call it the suicide lane
    skid luxury

It's a little wack using that center lane to turn left onto a road but sometimes it's the play when traffic makes it hard to do otherwise. Finding and timing gaps on both the near side and the far side at the same time can be tough. I wouldn't make a habit of it but I've done it.
    Really? I’ve used the turning lane to turn left onto a busy road my whole life. And also accelerated up to speed in that lane before merging. Hell, I’d do it directly in front of a cop because I always assumed it was kosher.

I guess I don’t normally do it where there is a high volume left turn off of that road, or, of course where someone is using the lane. But otherwise, yeah.

Could be a regional thing maybe? Or maybe I'm the only one who thought it was wack.

Really? I’ve used the turning lane to turn left onto a busy road my whole life. And also accelerated up to speed in that lane before merging. Hell, I’d do it directly in front of a cop because I always assumed it was kosher.
    x2
    However many are in a shit ton.

Ditto.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

In Tucson they were called suicide lanes, in the morning commute it was a westbound lane, for the evening commute it was east bound, the rest of the day was a normal turning lane

Good times we’re had when you either forgot what time it was or someone from out of town tried to use it as a turning lane during commuter hours

Just as an FYI, the legality of turning from a driveway or side road into the center turning lane and then merging into traffic varies by state.

and there you have it

and the line of cars that are behind you waiting for you to find the perfect quiet gap to have both lanes of traffic fully cleared open is a sign of righteousness only known to certain municipal residents of certain ages in certain juridsictions
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I guess I don’t normally do it where there is a high volume left turn off of that road, or, of course where someone is using the lane. But otherwise, yeah.

This is the way.
    I still call it The Jake.

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=927&dpr=1

"Turns out" it varies by State, however most states do limit the distance you are allowed to travel in the center turn lane. In many states it is 100% illegal.

EX:

Drivers often use the center lane to merge into traffic, which is illegal. Georgia law states that the center lane is only be used to make left turns and should not be entered more than 300 feet before the desired left turn.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

You can't merge onto Rt 7 in Troy during peak gettin' home from or going to VT hrs of 4:30 to 7:00 pm. You may as well pitch a tent at Teds Fish Fry if you don't use the turning lane. I've tried.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=927&dpr=1

"Turns out" it varies by State, however most states do limit the distance you are allowed to travel in the center turn lane. In many states it is 100% illegal.

EX:
    Someone clearly hasn't told the cops that. Shit, they even have cops manning busy ingress and egress (i.e. Chick Fil-A at lunchtime) on busy streets directing cars making lefts leaving the business into the suicide lane so they can merge into traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You can't merge onto Rt 7 in Troy during peak driving to VT hrs of 4:30 to 7:00 pm on Fridays from Teds Fish Fry without using the turning lane. I've tried.
    Ted's might need to hire traffic cops like the good folks at Chick Fil-A.

To the turn lane accelerators, couldn't you just make a right and then use the turn lane to make a left across traffic, turn around, then turn right so you were heading in the correct direction? I know it's mildly inconvenient and a bit more time consuming but it's a hell of a lot safer and less illegal.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Someone clearly hasn't told the cops that. Shit, they even have cops manning busy ingress and egress (i.e. Chick Fil-A at lunchtime) on busy streets directing cars making lefts leaving the business into the suicide lane so they can merge into traffic.

Ted's might need to hire traffic cops like the good folks at Chick Fil-A.
    A cop giving directions trumps most everything else. Turns out this was a threadworthy question. Who knew? Drive safe, there are nuts out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    To the turn lane accelerators, couldn't you just make a right and then use the turn lane to make a left across traffic, turn around, then turn right so you were heading in the correct direction? I know it's mildly inconvenient and a bit more time consuming but it's a hell of a lot safer and less illegal.
    You would love driving in Michigan.

It's legal in Utah and we can drive in it for 500 feet. Having that lane is a life saver leaving my work, it's 4 lanes with a turn lane in the middle. I use the turn lane to merge every time, even if there's not much traffic, just in case someone decided to switch lanes last second.

I had no idea it was illegal in other states.

In a lot of places in New Jersey they divide the four lanes and have these weird loop-around lanes, like an exit ramp that circles back to the other side. I guess it's probably safer but it's definitely less convenient, you have to turn right, go to the next loop thingie and go around it to get going the other way.

It also keeps you from making a left across traffic, you have to go past the left you want to take, go around the next loop, get going the other way and then take a right.