Page 16 of 226 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    I'd take a check from a neighbor I knew, that doesn't concern me.

Ice Otzi, look at your state's DMV website. It'll tell you what you need to do, provide you the forms you need, etc. Some states require you file a notice form, which relieves you from future liability.

And drop the car from your insurance policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I didn't know him before but he lives about a quarter-mile away and we know people in common. I'm just gonna take the check and wave as he drives away as Danno said. I read the DMV stuff and didn't see a mention of a notice form, but I'll double check that. Good heads up on the insurance, I'm sure I would have gotten around to it but I hadn't thought of it yet. Thanks.

I get that otzi doesn't need to do this, but another reasonable way to handle this is to ask for a cashier's check and then call the bank to make sure it is legit. Of course, look up the number yourself rather than getting it off the check. But I have done this multiple times and banks have zero problems confirming the authenticity of a cashier's check. That is their whole point.

Does anyone else read "skaredshtles" as "shared skittles"? Am I dyslexic?

I also assume he's a more generous version of Beast Mode.

I've got a question that I think I know the answer to but here goes. There is a job opening in another city that my partner is interested in and qualified for (she's pretty unhappy with her current situation). The problem is that we aren't planning on moving for a couple years. I've encouraged her to apply and see what happens but she thinks that if she has an interview and turns down the job due to timing that it would reflect poorly on her in the future so she is hesitant to apply now. I tend to agree but I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of situation? WWMD?

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I've got a question that I think I know the answer to but here goes. There is a job opening in another city that my partner is interested in and qualified for (she's pretty unhappy with her current situation). The problem is that we aren't planning on moving for a couple years. I've encouraged her to apply and see what happens but she thinks that if she has an interview and turns down the job due to timing that it would reflect poorly on her in the future so she is hesitant to apply now. I tend to agree but I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice or experience with this type of situation? WWMD?
    If she knows people at that job (as in, she's being recruited), she could let them know in advance that while she's interested in the position, this may not be the best timing for her, but she's happy to meet and discuss the options.

If it's a cold application to a posted job listing and she doesn't have contacts there, then if she's offered a job but rejects it, she's probably closed that door for herself in the future.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Have a IT question. My kid's laptop died and it looks like the mother board is toast. If I source a same model and plug in the original hard drive will the "new" laptop work ? There is one small hiccup, the replacement laptop I'm looking at seems to have a slightly different processor. The original laptop has a Intel I5 vpro but the replacement has a Intel I5.
    Just trying to do this in the cheap to get him through high school.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    If she knows people at that job (as in, she's being recruited), she could let them know in advance that while she's interested in the position, this may not be the best timing for her, but she's happy to meet and discuss the options.

If it's a cold application to a posted job listing and she doesn't have contacts there, then if she's offered a job but rejects it, she's probably closed that door for herself in the future.
    Sounds right. Would there be a good way to approach them and explain that she'd be interested in a few years to get more info about the job (responsibilities, pay, etc.)?

One option that I think wouldn't burn bridges is to withdraw her application before getting offered the job (assuming she gets an interview and might get offered the job). Then she meets them, they get to know her, she can tell them that she's interested but has to withdraw because the timing isn't right, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sounds right. Would there be a good way to approach them and explain that she'd be interested in a few years to get more info about the job (responsibilities, pay, etc.)?
    I assume this means she doesn't know anyone working there currently. In that case... any mutual acquaintances between her and Company? If she's on LinkedIn, I think that used to show if you had connections who listed employment at Company. (I deleted my LinkedIn account years ago...) Or via Facebook -- look up people at Company, see if she has mutual friends? And I assume other social media platforms work similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    You're not the first... and definitely won't be the last.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Yeah I got the bill of sale covered, and the plates, all that stuff. And of course I am baller so no lien. I was more wondering in particular about the check, do I just take it and say thanks, or what? Do I need to do anything in particular to make sure it's good? I mean I'm pretty sure it will be good, so no worries right?
    If a local bank, then maybe if it is not a weekend or night, call them and ask some questions. Otherwise since the guy is a neighbor, just make sure you know where he lives, and as stated get some info like his drivers license showing the address, etc. so you could turn it all over to the cops if the check is a fraud...

Does anyone else read "skaredshtles" as "shared skittles"?
    Ska Red Shuttles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skared.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	359308

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Have a IT question. My kid's laptop died and it looks like the mother board is toast. If I source a same model and plug in the original hard drive will the "new" laptop work ? There is one small hiccup, the replacement laptop I'm looking at seems to have a slightly different processor. The original laptop has a Intel I5 vpro but the replacement has a Intel I5.
    Just trying to do this in the cheap to get him through high school.
    Should work- as long as the system is running Windows 10 (not some older version like Win 7) and hard drive was not encrypted (with something like Bitlocker). Windows version 10 is pretty forgiving on hardware and have seen it even work and detect new hardware for things like a different video card...

The VPro was pretty much a business security and advanced features option that were actually on the main system board and not on the CPU or built in to the Processor.

Always. Glad it’s not just me.

When you lose a chunk of toast in the toaster, do you deftly pull it out with the metal fork in your hand, or do you go get a plastic fork, or dump it out in the trash/sink?

Metal fork.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Chopsticks

Just have her say in the interview she is really interested in the job but not sure if she can move right now and is trying to work it out. If she can’t take the job just blame it on you not being able to transfer, etc.

Random Unthreadworthy Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    When you lose a chunk of toast in the toaster, do you deftly pull it out with the metal fork in your hand, or do you go get a plastic fork, or dump it out in the trash/sink?
    first thing I do is unplug it.

Burn it out over time. That's what my son tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    first thing I do is unplug it.
    Yup. Then use whatever's handy.

I recently discovered our toaster has a little tray at the bottom that slides out for dumping out crumbs and shit that fall down to the bottom. Shoulda read the instructions 5 years ago when we got it I guess.

Doesn’t every toaster ever have a bottom tray?

I was a chopsticks or fork guy - whatever was handy - until I moved in with my now wife. She brought her magnetic toast tongs to the partnership. Has anyone here ever zapped themselves via fork in toaster? I thought it was a bad idea every time I did it, but sometimes I was too lazy to walk 3 feet to get some chopsticks, and I never actually got shocked.