Page 120 of 129 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3208
  1. #2976
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    19,285
    Lunchbox pepper?

  2. #2977
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,385
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I have a Chase Freedom that has rotating 5% rewards, plus 2% on all purchases (if memory serves correctly). Itís blue though, not purple, so nobodyís impressed.

    When Iíve been in Europe and used credit cards people seem more confused than anything: You donít have a PIN number? It says here we need to get your signature?
    It's been a few years since I've been in Europe but the last time they were still asking for a signature even though I have a chip and PIN card and a PIN. I'll have to ask my wife if that's changed when she gets back from England today--BA willing. One of the advantages of a chip and PIN card is buying things from a kiosk--like train and museum tickets.


    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Doesn't Wells still charge foreign transaction fees?
    They waive my fees--not sure if it's because of the kind of card I have, if they waive them for all their cards, or because I'm a all around great guy.

  3. #2978
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    12,007
    Jammed a finger pretty hard last Friday after I dropped a very large cooler on cement and it bounced up. Pretty much a basketball style jam. When it did hit, got that sick body feeling of ďah shit, that feels like I may have broken itĒ.
    Still swollen, lots of fluid still around middle joint. Can move it a tiny bit but itís pretty excruciating so a $7.99 finger brace is on currently.

    Is a doc and X-rays going to do anything for me or just save my money and keep icing? I donít take pain meds so thatís also not needed.

  4. #2979
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Jammed a finger pretty hard last Friday after I dropped a very large cooler on cement and it bounced up. Pretty much a basketball style jam. When it did hit, got that sick body feeling of ďah shit, that feels like I may have broken itĒ.
    Still swollen, lots of fluid still around middle joint. Can move it a tiny bit but itís pretty excruciating so a $7.99 finger brace is on currently.

    Is a doc and X-rays going to do anything for me or just save my money and keep icing? I donít take pain meds so thatís also not needed.
    My understanding from ER doc friend is that they would normally just Ďbuddy tapeí it to the finger next door for support. Thatís how my broken finger 30 years ago was treated as well.

  5. #2980
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    28,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Jammed a finger pretty hard last Friday after I dropped a very large cooler on cement and it bounced up. Pretty much a basketball style jam. When it did hit, got that sick body feeling of “ah shit, that feels like I may have broken it”.
    Still swollen, lots of fluid still around middle joint. Can move it a tiny bit but it’s pretty excruciating so a $7.99 finger brace is on currently.

    Is a doc and X-rays going to do anything for me or just save my money and keep icing? I don’t take pain meds so that’s also not needed.
    I think without knowing what is broken and how it is broken, if anything, you don't know the treatment. I wrecked my mountain bike years ago and broke my finger. Taped it and iced it and partied that night, went to urgent care the next day, and ended up needing surgery and pins. Totally different situation, but...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  6. #2981
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think without knowing what is broken and how it is broken, if anything, you don't know the treatment. I wrecked my mountain bike years ago and broke my finger. Taped it and iced it and partied that night, went to urgent care the next day, and ended up needing surgery and pins. Totally different situation, but...
    Yeah, I assume if itís displaced or some other complication then different treatment, just like a collarbone. (Iíve been fortunate that both my collarbone breaks were displaced, so got lots of fun surgeries and hardware.)

  7. #2982
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think without knowing what is broken and how it is broken, if anything, you don't know the treatment. I wrecked my mountain bike years ago and broke my finger. Taped it and iced it and partied that night, went to urgent care the next day, and ended up needing surgery and pins. Totally different situation, but...
    This. There are broken fingers and then there are broken fingers. There are also tendon injuries which are treated differently depending on which tendon. Unlike toes, broken fingers are not usually buddy taped. At least a splint on the individual finger. Buddy taping works with toes because toes aren't nearly as mobile as fingers and we don't do anything with them besides breaking them. And even broken toes may require treatment--I had one that was broken at a 90 degree angle and had to be straightened before buddy taping.

  8. #2983
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    This. There are broken fingers and then there are broken fingers. There are also tendon injuries which are treated differently depending on which tendon. Unlike toes, broken fingers are not usually buddy taped. At least a splint on the individual finger. Buddy taping works with toes because toes aren't nearly as mobile as fingers and we don't do anything with them besides breaking them. And even broken toes may require treatment--I had one that was broken at a 90 degree angle and had to be straightened before buddy taping.
    IANAD, let alone a surgeon. Just relaying what I recall discussing over beers around a campfire. But it seems like buddy taping finger fractures is a thing:

    This study examined the current consensus on treating finger and toe injuries using buddy taping, along with complications of buddy taping, within specialists. Of participants in this study, surgeons were almost always (87%) using buddy taping to treat finger and toe injuries, especially PIP injuries of the finger, finger fractures, toe fractures, MCP injuries of the hand, and PIP injuries of the toes.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942599/

  9. #2984
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,997
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    They waive my fees--not sure if it's because of the kind of card I have, if they waive them for all their cards, or because I'm a all around great guy.
    Mine too, so it couldn't be the aagg property.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  10. #2985
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,385
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    IANAD, let alone a surgeon. Just relaying what I recall discussing over beers around a campfire. But it seems like buddy taping finger fractures is a thing:

    This study examined the current consensus on treating finger and toe injuries using buddy taping, along with complications of buddy taping, within specialists. Of participants in this study, surgeons were almost always (87%) using buddy taping to treat finger and toe injuries, especially PIP injuries of the finger, finger fractures, toe fractures, MCP injuries of the hand, and PIP injuries of the toes.

    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3942599/
    I'm not an ortho, so not an expert. It certainly is done, at least in Korea. Given the high incidence of non-compliance, maybe not going to the doctor is just as good--or bad. Again, it depends on which finger, and where on the finger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Mine too, so it couldn't be the aagg property.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

  11. #2986
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,529
    Tendon injuries often need strict splinting to allow for proper healing. Google ďtendon injury finger deformityĒ. Tendon injury wonít show up on an X-ray but you can tell if your finger joint angles are deformed from looking at your finger from the side.

  12. #2987
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,839
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I had one that was broken at a 90 degree angle and had to be straightened before buddy taping.
    Been there. Barefoot. Whacked the pinky toe on a cardboard box. Looked down to see if I lost the nail.
    Nope. No blood. Just a sideways toe.

    But back to the finger question, I donít think a few days of splinting (yes, goat is right on that. Fingers always get splinted) and icing will hurt. When I broke my leg they made me wait for swelling to go down. That fucking sucked.

    See if swelling goes down and mobility comes back.
    But if you have good insurance why not get an X-ray.

  13. #2988
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,333
    Not really a question, but more of random unthreadworthy observation I thought I'd share.

    If you buy Stella d'Oro Anisette Sponge, you can easily turn them into Stella d'Oro Anisette Toast by removing the plastic wrap and leaving them in the tray exposed to the air for a few days. No need to buy the toast version.

    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  21.1 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  14. #2989
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    5,527
    well now, that is a revelation.

  15. #2990
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,385
    I think this belongs in the "would you eat it thread". Especially if it turns blue while you're waiting for it to autotoast.

  16. #2991
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    29,082
    Autotoast would be a bitchin band name.
    I still call it The Jake.

  17. #2992
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,333
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I think this belongs in the "would you eat it thread". Especially if it turns blue while you're waiting for it to autotoast.
    You don't leave it in the basement next to an old pair of sneakers.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  18. #2993
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    uTardedland
    Posts
    12,007
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Tendon injuries often need strict splinting to allow for proper healing. Google ďtendon injury finger deformityĒ. Tendon injury wonít show up on an X-ray but you can tell if your finger joint angles are deformed from looking at your finger from the side.
    Iím assuming now a soft tissue injury. Swelling finally went down last night. I can move it a little now but the two finger joints are still surprisingly painful to move. Splinted as a straight finger.
    Itís been really colorful too. Purple, green, yellow. Just starting to look like skin color again.

    X-rays. Last time was still over $200 out of pocket. Insurance is nice but it still costs me.

  19. #2994
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,529
    Lots of bruising can be more indicative of bleeding from a broken bone vs a tendon injury. YMMV.

    Vote for someone who wants to put in a system where a person gets an X-ray because they need one and the cost to the patient is not part of the decision.

    óó

    Question: why is the produce section the first section of a grocery store - thereby putting all my produce at the bottom of my basket to get crushed?

  20. #2995
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,385
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Lots of bruising can be more indicative of bleeding from a broken bone vs a tendon injury. YMMV.

    Vote for someone who wants to put in a system where a person gets an X-ray because they need one and the cost to the patient is not part of the decision.

    ——

    Question: why is the produce section the first section of a grocery store - thereby putting all my produce at the bottom of my basket to get crushed?
    I've long favored a system (universal and singlesingle payer of course) where there is no deductible and the copay is dependent on the cost effectiveness and medical necessity. Appendix out--that's free. Prenatal visits--free. Total joint so you can go back to skiing--you pay a lot for that. An xray for an obviously injured finger would be free. It would be complicated to run such a system though--I'm not sure this country is up to it. A smarter country could do it.

    In my grocery store produce is the last section. (Actually it depends which door you enter whether it's first or last.)

  21. #2996
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,529
    In Canada the doctor is the gatekeeper determining the necessity of an investigation or intervention. Humans being human itís not always going to be perfect.

  22. #2997
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    In Canada the doctor is the gatekeeper determining the necessity of an investigation or intervention. Humans being human itís not always going to be perfect.
    Having lived in both systems, Iíd take the Canadian. Not even close.

    Its not perfect, but nothing like the generalized clusterfuck the healthcare system down here is.

  23. #2998
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    25,997
    Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Why is the produce section the first section of a grocery store - thereby putting all my produce at the bottom of my basket to get crushed?
    The same reason you go through the store in that order.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  24. #2999
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    3,118
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Having lived in both systems, Iíd take the Canadian. Not even close.

    Its not perfect, but nothing like the generalized clusterfuck the healthcare system down here is.
    Same

  25. #3000
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    19,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The same reason you go through the store in that order.
    Before COVID (BC) my wife and I ran the store backwards a few times for giggles. It still sucked because then the dairy spent longer getting warm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •