Page 73 of 226 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 5634
    The image of some suburban dad in Denver rockin' some Extratuf's in killing me. It kinda goes with the trying to hard murdered out factory Forester. When you're whole image in some curated non-functional situation, it just makes me laugh.

Now slip on boots generally are the cats ass. I'm an Arctic Ice Muck guy with Superfeet Greens. But fuck me if I'm gonna wear them for anything besides being outside in the muck. If you are gonna go 'Tufs, at least get the glacier sole or whatever it's called to get a bit of traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    The image of some suburban dad in Denver rockin' some Extratuf's in killing me. It kinda goes with the trying to hard murdered out factory Forester. When you're whole image in some curated non-functional situation, it just makes me laugh.

Now slip on boots generally are the cats ass. I'm an Arctic Ice Muck guy with Superfeet Greens. But fuck me if I'm gonna wear them for anything besides being outside in the muck. If you are gonna go 'Tufs, at least get the glacier sole or whatever it's called to get a bit of traction.
    Foggy: “I’m too cool for this shit”
    Also Foggy: “I’m exactly the demographic that understands the details necessary to pursue this shit”

LOL

Earlier today I thought of a really good question to put in here. It was definitely unthreadworthy and random but I forgot what it was now. dammit. It was a good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I had a pair of those and returned them. If I need a true winter boot, I'm going for something taller/with a more aggressive tread than a Blundstone. Part of the magic of Blundstones is that they're super breathable (and as a result don't ever stink) because they don't have a waterproof membrane in them. Get the 550's and change the thickness of the socks you wear depending on the weather.

Ice, those RM Williams boots are nice but I could buy 3 pairs of Blundstones for what a pair of them costs. I get 4+ years of nearly daily wear out of a pair of Blundstones, so I think they're "good enough."
    I like them for quickly throwing on in cool wet weather or light snow or mud. They suck on glare ice and are not warm enough for super cold - have better winter boot options for those situations. Plus my shoes never stink not even my running shoes. The sheep wool insoles in the winter blundstones are nice - although you could likely add something similar to any blundstone pair.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Foggy: “I’m too cool for this shit”
    Also Foggy: “I’m exactly the demographic that understands the details necessary to pursue this shit”
    The irony is not lost on me. Lets just call it the Kincos Effect. Maybe its a bit of a Grand County thing as perhaps we attract a certain hype of second homeowner that fashions themselves as an everyman and is looking for a certain locals cred or maybe it's everywhere?

My wife works at the building department. She says all the contractor looks and dress the same. Yeah, because it's functional for work. Yet somehow it becomes "the look" for the IPA and coffee crowd. I had a customer ask me if I could get her an Alpine Lumber trucker hat because it was "so cool" like its the King Ropes of 2022.

My sure they are all nice people and I'm sure the weekender khakis crowd is gonna ride me for being tone deaf and biting the hand that feeds etc. All I'm saying is it kind strikes me like putting on some silly business casual or a suit to try and look like a fit in for a lunch down in the Tech Center.

Well the clothes they wore in SoCal or Dallas won't work, they don't want to look like complete idiots, and they don't know what to wear. So they look to the manly men of Grand County, even the ones originally from Connecticut, for fashion cues. You're a style maven now, man. An icon. Take it as a compliment.

No, no these Chachis are from Lakewood and Littleton and Aurora #we got a place in Fraser

See they keep this Chart of Coolness and they fashion themselves better than the "Tourists". Why somebody would want to be like me in any way, shape of form is beyond me. It makes me uncomfortable. Seriously.

No, no these Chachis are from Lakewood and Littleton and Aurora #we got a place in Fraser

See they keep this Chart of Coolness and they fashion themselves better than the "Tourists". Why somebody would want to be like me in any way, shape of form is beyond me. It makes me uncomfortable. Seriously.
    When I was a kid logging in Granby, I did room and board at my boss's house. His wife took care of the laundry, and thought Levis needed to be starched, ironed and creased. So I drove to the woods every day in creased levis. The boss wore nothing but mattress-ticking coveralls. Mostly we were covered in sawdust, pinesap and chain oil. Nobody cared what we looked like because we were out in the woods working. I don't recall spending much time thinking about what other people were wearing , though--the big questions were if you got your elk or if you were going antelope hunting or if the forest service was going to shut you out of the woods for something.

But that was a long time ago, right after they shut down the teepee smelter in Granby, so things have most likely changed. People must have a lot of time on their hands to be obsessed with fashion.

^^^That is old school. When are were was there a smelter in Granby? So the down valley, logger/mechanic/equipment operator looks is not something I've seen actively curated by the puffy and yoga pant set.

You are probably onto something. I mean is there anything as weather resistant than Carhartt zip to the hip bibs covered in a decade of hydraulic?

Who was your boss? I'm guessing you had a couple of pork chop breakfasts at the Columbine back in the day.

^^^That is old school. When are were was there a smelter in Granby? So the down valley, logger/mechanic/equipment operator looks is not something I've seen actively curated by the puffy and yoga pant set.

You are probably onto something. I mean is there anything as weather resistant than Carhartt zip to the hip bibs covered in a decade of hydraulic?

Who was your boss? I'm guessing you had a couple of pork chop breakfasts at the Columbine back in the day.
    The teepee was still up in 73, I don't think I ever saw it belching smoke. Looking at Granby logging history it sounds like it might have been the American Timber sawmill, as the location sounds about right.

My boss was a guy named Bill, who ran Bill's saw shop just outside of town. That was back when they were cutting the runs for Mary Jane, and we sharpened all the chains and repaired all the saws. And back then I skidded logs off of what was called ValD'isere, which I think got called Silver Spur or something later, a Texas-owned ski area/development from the late 70s. I haven't been back that way for a while.

And it wasn't Carharts back then--just blue-striped coveralls from whatever was cheapest--

And mostly we ate at the Chuck Wagon, pretty much daily.

The irony is not lost on me. Lets just call it the Kincos Effect. Maybe its a bit of a Grand County thing as perhaps we attract a certain hype of second homeowner that fashions themselves as an everyman and is looking for a certain locals cred or maybe it's everywhere?
    It’s everywhere, as evidenced by the fact that my wife and I went for a burger and a beer last night in Victor and we were both wearing muck boots. They were even muddy. I’m so ashamed.

In any case, the locals have moved on. Three locals (guy cooking the burgers called them by name) came in to order take out and they were all wearing crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    The teepee was still up in 73, I don't think I ever saw it belching smoke. Looking at Granby logging history it sounds like it might have been the American Timber sawmill, as the location sounds about right.

My boss was a guy named Bill, who ran Bill's saw shop just outside of town. That was back when they were cutting the runs for Mary Jane, and we sharpened all the chains and repaired all the saws. And back then I skidded logs off of what was called ValD'isere, which I think got called Silver Spur or something later, a Texas-owned ski area/development from the late 70s. I haven't been back that way for a while.

And it wasn't Carharts back then--just blue-striped coveralls from whatever was cheapest--

And mostly we ate at the Chuck Wagon, pretty much daily.
    That's awesome history. I just to go to Bill. Best chainsaw mechanic ever. I think that shop building is still there. The Chuckwagon became The WillowCreek (WillowSkank) and the building is still there but not operational. One of my friends, Dave Dean, layed out all the runs on the Jane. Val D'siere became Silver Creek which became Granby Ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It’s everywhere, as evidenced by the fact that my wife and I went for a burger and a beer last night in Victor and we were both wearing muck boots. They were even muddy. I’m so ashamed.

In any case, the locals have moved on. Three locals (guy cooking the burgers called them by name) came in to order take out and they were all wearing crocs.
    Appropriate footwear is just that, you make the call. At least tell me that you're pants were tucked in!

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    All the Grand County transplants are reading this wondering “well, shit, what AM I supposed to wear?”
    Well whatever you want, but if I see a crew on their way to Happy Hour at Denos wearing 'Tuffs when its 50 and sunny, I'll be laughing.

Foggy is the George Carlin driver of sartorial criticism, if you look down market from me you are a poseur I laugh at, if you look upmarket from me you are a rich poseur I laugh at.

Luckily, I laugh at myself more than anyone...like when my Dickies are too baggy tucked in my mucks and I look like fuckin' Redneck River Dance. I'm on the way to the grocery now before it gets cleaned out. I'll be sure to give you a socio economic critique for your enjoys upon my return.

I may have to sit for a few hours at the Phoenix airport this afternoon. When I arrived last night the terminal seemed really crowded (C gates, Southwest). Anyone know of a good quiet place to hang out in the airport that's not too far from my gate? Would prefer to avoid the covid crowds.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

And wasn't there some inside info from frequent travelers thread that would be better for my last post?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Randomly got an Amex platinum card cuz work covered the fee and I will say that having access to the lounges is a game changer. Free food and booze in a quiet and uncrowded space makes the airport way more pleasant.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Ok, where can I go in the Phoenix airport that doesn't require special access privileges?

Prolly not an ideal solution but I think you can buy a day pass to most of the clubs. Might be worth looking into if you're gonna be there for a good while and aren't averse to day drinking.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Ok, where can I go in the Phoenix airport that doesn't require special access privileges?
    The men's room. Pick the stall closest to the door. It's far less used than the one farthest in the corner and will have better wifi reception.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The men's room. Pick the stall closest to the door. It's far less used than the one farthest in the corner and will have better wifi reception.
    This is why I subscribe to teh TRG.

Just keep your stance narrow

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    This is why I subscribe to teh TRG.
    TR always good for some funny sarcasm.