Page 33 of 224 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    not sure if the flag decal video was a shot at me for being a right wing usa flag lover or not, but I've been to enough vet cem that i know that 95% of those buried vets never get a flag unless that have good family and even then it fizzles over the years. i figure me putting flags on graves of vets i do not know is pretty outstanding.

and you guys with the red light are right. i do have to wait but even when the light is green many of those making the uturn pay no attention to the yield sign; thos are accidents waiting to happen.
    Uh, they can’t u-turn unless the light is green, I’m not sure what you’re trying to communicate

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

nobody ever is

Is there a sting trimmer made that is worth a shit?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The chicks didn't make it.
    A maul is merciful
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I’ve got a Milwaukee that’s pretty kickass, burly too for a string trimmer. Spendy tho.
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...tring-Trimmers

Get a Stihl or Echo gasser. Upgrade the string to the thickest… Or replace with SS cable and wear a suit of armor…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I have the same one as meadow skipper, and even though it's spendy if you're already in the Milwaukee universe, i.e. you have a bunch of batteries and a charger, it's pretty good value.

ETA: agree with the Stihl recco if you want gas.

Thirded on Stihl. Mine sat for almost 2 years and started on the fourth pull with the old gas.

Stihl…

Random Unthreadworthy Questions

There’s a non-chainsaw land maintenance thread… The land maintenance, non-chainsaw thread
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=311381

I have a low end echo gas that works well enough and always starts right up. I do not think it’s ever drunk any ethanol fuels.

I want a (used) high end echo, husqi, or stihl with the handlebar and harness. I’ve seen the higher displacement trimmers with the burly strings eat up blackberry very quickly and the attachment with chainsaw cutters go through sprouts and saplings super fast. My current trimmer losses the battle with the blackberries.

I borrow a wheeled string trimmer from my neighbor once a year to do our yard. It's an, inexpensive Remington brand, but works great. Has very thick plastic string. Basically it's a lawnmower with string instead of a metal blade.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

New Q: do DSL filters really wear out or fail over time? Google search says they do. Mom's land line has a ton of static, and she's got DSL internet, so am, wondering if filters could be the culprit.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Just catching up on this thread, and the juxtaposition of string trimmers and lil chicks that aren't gonna make it, is pretty dark, y'all.

I used to have a Stihl string trimmer, found the plastic string too shotty for most of what I used it for so i put a used guitar string in it and cut it to the right length. It worked way better. I wonder what happened to that trimmer.

My dad has a corded, electric Stihl one that is 25 years old by now. He puts dozens of hours on it every summer. Never had to do anything but keep the spool loaded.

He and I share a disdain for small engine maintenance, and the smell of gasoline/diesel.

Random Unthreadworthy Questions

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    My dad has a corded, electric Stihl one that is 25 years old by now. He puts dozens of hours on it every summer. Never had to do anything but keep the spool loaded.

He and I share a disdain for small engine maintenance, and the smell of gasoline/diesel.
    They make the cordless ones now….that I am so close to getting….the hedge trimmer and weed wacker…..I hear good things about them, but haven’t bit the bullet yet…..cuz my gas ones run so well…(I’m close though for the same reasons you said)
    Last edited by BC.; 06-17-2021 at 07:55 AM.

I have a makita cordless trimmer and a leaf blower. Would recommend.

Thanks for all the replies re: string trimmers! You guys are great. I've got a lot of big stuff I need to whack around fence lines and what not and while I've found string that can do the job my trimmers rarely last more than two years no matter how careful I am with maintenance which is super frustrating. Generally I like to buy 4 cycle trimmers but I do have some battery and corded (the batter and corded have lasted (*knock wood*) but they can't handle big heavy stuff.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

NEXT RANDOM QUESTION:

Who here knows FAA rules regarding ultralights (powered parachute)?

I have a neighbor who has been allowing someone to use his 20 acre parcel to take off and land his ultralight. The noise is annoying like a giant mosquito plus he flies extremely low over my parcels like below the treeline low.

He was flying after dusk last night and is out flying again early this morning.

This part of the county is 10 ag/res.

Do you have a shotgun?

^… or a potato gun.

Thanks for all the replies re: string trimmers! You guys are great. I've got a lot of big stuff I need to whack around fence lines and what not and while I've found string that can do the job my trimmers rarely last more than two years no matter how careful I am with maintenance which is super frustrating. Generally I like to buy 4 cycle trimmers but I do have some battery and corded (the batter and corded have lasted (*knock wood*) but they can't handle big heavy stuff.
    What are you buying ? The cheaper designs have what amounts to a bent tube to make the angle at the head and some have an actual joint with bearings which an easy way to tell how HD a brush saw or trimmer is, it sounds like you need very heavy duty which also means very heavy duty $$$$ maybe you need more like a brush cutter blade, talk to your dealer ?

I got a gas trimmer I always use premium, run fuel conditioner thru it in the fall and dump the tank so it always starts, its more than needed for a city lot, buddy the vendor wouldn't budge on selling price of the house so i asked him to thro in the lawn mower the trimmer and some other stuff

so I always say its a 239,000 trimmer and buddy thru in the house
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

NEXT RANDOM QUESTION:

Who here knows FAA rules regarding ultralights (powered parachute)?

I have a neighbor who has been allowing someone to use his 20 acre parcel to take off and land his ultralight. The noise is annoying like a giant mosquito plus he flies extremely low over my parcels like below the treeline low.

He was flying after dusk last night and is out flying again early this morning.

This part of the county is 10 ag/res.
    “Under FAA regulations, ultralights cannot be flown over "congested areas" of a city, town or settlement or over restricted air space, such as airports. Ultralight pilots are not allowed to use their planes during the night or fly in a manner that creates a "hazard" to people or property.”

https://www.usua.org/Rules/faa103.htm

I would maybe just talk to the landowner and/or the pilot and voice your concerns and ask them not to fly so low over your property. Below the tree line or disturbing your animals may fit in the hazard to property part.

Flying after dusk is an explicit no-no, but the FAA has very specific rules about when that starts, so you’ll probably have to figure out if he actually violated that.

Also check your airspace to what if any restrictions there are.

If none of that works I’d find out if there is some ultralight org in your area you can complain to. I imagine they don’t want property owners making a stink to gov officials about their aircraft and could self regulate some.

To expand on that, generally FARs say aircraft have to be min of 500 feet above ground, with the exception of during take-off and landing (something that many people have interpreted in fairly broad manner when it suits them, i.e. the guy who flies across the whole lake at 100 ft.)

And if the ultralight guy knows anything at all, that's going to be what he hangs his hat on.

As for the night flying, ultralights are restricted to official sunrise to sunset, unless they have lights, which extends that to 30 minutes before and after.

Edit to add: if you're going to complain, and don't get anywhere with the ultralight people, call the FSDO in Spokane.

Thanks all! I found some info online but it was very general and dealt mostly with government and airport airspace issues.

My horses weren't any too pleased but didn't go totally batshit like another neighbor's cattle that were on the run. The damn thing is just so loud and annoying. I was enjoying the quiet evening outside on my patio when he first started up then he just kept doing circles over my property which is adjacent to the parcel he was taking off and landing from. Looked like he was giving rides as there were a number of people standing on the ground waiting around and I could see a passenger in the UL.

I'm taking notes on times and frequency and will talk to the neighbor if necessary. Dude is odd but not mean. I already gave him a pass on shooting beavers out of season without a permit. This is the guy who has to run a generator to power his place because the guy he bought the parcel from pissed off every neighbor who could have given him an electrical easement. This place is his "country home." He lives full time in a small city 10 mins away which I find odd but whatever. Wish he wouldn't use it as a junk yard for old cars, boats and RVs though.