Page 55 of 224 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 5590
    I’ve got nothing for you. My yard is 90% dandelions and clover. Which brings up my question. Are you having luck getting rid of this stuff? If so, what ya using?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Grow something besides grass. Say no to the gramen-industrial complex.

Come on now.. im in Metrowest Boston.

That's Massachusetts. We get plenty of rain and if I transitioned my yard to something else I'd be the only one in town.

And fwiw I provide ZERO water. No sprinklers. The lawn lives on whatever falls from the sky and is doing quite well with that.

Criticize as you will, my 8 yo is all about soccer and practices in the yard daily. I'll let that justify a nice yard if nothing else will.

So.. any non grass haters have thoughts about timing for fall overseeding?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’ve got nothing for you. My yard is 90% dandelions and clover. Which brings up my question. Are you having luck getting rid of this stuff? If so, what ya using?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    No pesticides or weed killers. We have some clover spots that I seed every spring (and hopefully fall?) some areas that are mostly moss, which I'm good with. But the grass in the flat upper yard where kids kick balls around is nice to have.

I've dealt with dandelions in the last house with minimal success. Happy we don't have the infestation here (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Come on now.. im in Metrowest Boston.

That's Massachusetts. We get plenty of rain and if I transitioned my yard to something else I'd be the only one in town.

And fwiw I provide ZERO water. No sprinklers. The lawn lives on whatever falls from the sky and is doing quite well with that.

Criticize as you will, my 8 yo is all about soccer and practices in the yard daily. I'll let that justify a nice yard if nothing else will.

So.. any non grass haters have thoughts about timing for fall overseeding?
    It's not water. It's about a more natural meadow that's part of the ecosystem. And let your kid practice in the street--it works for the Brazilian kids. According to my German friend you should do it one square meter at a time (that's a little bigger than a yard). I'd turn her loose on you but fortunately for you she's back in Germany.
    (And I'm only half serious.)

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    This boggles my mind.

-24 years of living in Utah
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Ya, fall seeding works near the ocean in the pnw, the rainy season, but in the interior we can only overseed in the spring.
    We love the clover patches and dandelions. So do the early pollinators. We harvest and eat the flowers. We don't water the grass, just overspray from the flowerbeds and garden - half the lawn goes 'dormant' during the summer drought. The more hardy dandies and clover stay green for much longer. Still alright to walk on, it's not like a field of nettles or thistle. So I guess we're more on old goat's practice.
    Can't see fall overseeding and also leaf and litter removal working well, maybe try mulching the leaf fall with the mower if you are trying the overseeding?
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 09-03-2021 at 10:01 PM.

Clover lawns are the new thing.
    Garden chat is all about seeding clover until it crowds out the lawn grass

It’s nitrogen fixing. Low maintenance.

Clover is easy to kill with chemicals.
    Crabgrass? I’ve got that and it’s an evil weed.

Wife just bitched tonight about how nice the neighbors golf course lawns are. I tried to explain how much chemical and money they spray every month. And she still wants it. Fuggh.

As far as seeding, seed is cheap. Lay it down and see what happens.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Clover lawns are the new thing.
    Garden chat is all about seeding clover until it crowds out the lawn grass

It’s nitrogen fixing. Low maintenance.

Clover is easy to kill with chemicals.
    Crabgrass? I’ve got that and it’s an evil weed.

Wife just bitched tonight about how nice the neighbors golf course lawns are. I tried to explain how much chemical and money they spray every month. And she still wants it. Fuggh.

As far as seeding, seed is cheap. Lay it down and see what happens.
    People are seeding clover? I take it all back, human progress may last well into 2022! Details, please. Specific varieties for different climates? Any gotchas to this?

I can accept bees on the lawn. I'm thinking to start this on the end that my wife hates and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    People are seeding clover? I take it all back, human progress may last well into 2022! Details, please. Specific varieties for different climates? Any gotchas to this?

I can accept bees on the lawn. I'm thinking to start this on the end that my wife hates and see how it goes.
    Ecolawn, on my short list for next spring:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ga...ess-work-water

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    YSo I guess we're more on old goat's preaching.
    FIFY. We have a lawn in Sacramento--although it's mostly weeds and the like, with some Bermuda, and some other grasses that we tried to plant in the past--but pretty much it's what was there when we moved in in 1984. We water the lawn to keep the trees alive. We should probably try to do something more ecofriendly but we're not there enough to pay much attention to it.

In Sacramento water is of course the issue, but also heat. The trees that make our neighborhood 10-15 degrees cooler than the official temp need water, and people who try to plant drought tolerant landscape or hardscape wind up with dead trees or weeds. Also, mature trees provide too much shade for drought tolerant plants. There probably is a solution--the trees need infrequent deep watering, which should keep the weeds down, and they're fairly drought tolerant--plane tree and a 3 story tall crepe myrtle. I just need to get off my ass and figure it out.

I should amend, we water the flowers, garden, and the 30m doug fir in the back yard. After the heat dome and subsequent drought, most of the local trees lost most of their older needles. Our's, and the neighbour who does the same, kept their needles despite the drought. Didn't take much, as mentioned, a deep water once or twice a week, and she wasn't quite the fire hazard most of the forest in town was this summer. And she shaded us wonderfully during the dog days of summer. The hound's summer house (a covered earthen hole) is also under her boughs, and Lexa greatly appreciated the contribution as well, both from above and below.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    This boggles my mind.

-24 years of living in Utah
    Had a REAL hard time learning to water plants enough when I moved from Seattle to W2.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I saw a guy riding one of those monkey handlebar motorcycles today with his hands being above his head.
    am I missing the fun /coolness factor here? bc it looked so dumb and also uncomfortable af
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I saw a guy riding one of those monkey handlebar motorcycles today with his hands being above his head.
    am I missing the fun /coolness factor here? bc it looked so dumb and also uncomfortable af
    It's only cool if he was wearing MC colors.

I don't get it either. Fofette says that they look to her like a kid in a big wheel tricycle (and now I can't get that image off my mind when I see them).

But I guess if I walked past a group of them in my bright blue ski pants they would say "that looks dumb."

I also wonder how long can they hold the handles before the arms go numb?

Its a chopper, baby.

We used to make choppers when we were kids, cutting forks of other bikes and jamming them on to the existing forks, with Schwinn Stingray handlebars and banana seats with super-tall sissy bars. It probably sounds like I'm talking in code, but no.

The handlebars on that motorcycle chopper were called apehangers.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Its a chopper, baby.
    Zed’s dead. Zed’s dead, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    We used to make choppers when we were kids, cutting forks of other bikes and jamming them on to the existing forks, with Schwinn Stingray handlebars and banana seats with super-tall sissy bars. It probably sounds like I'm talking in code, but no.
    ::: …. ;;;;

Yo Jay, seeding can be done anytime really but works best when it is still warm days with cool nights. If soccer is the gig you need to shop for a high traffic/hardy seed mix.

Yeah Jay the answer to your question is right now. You've got about a month of pretty warm days and cooler nights before you have to start with the leaves. I know you make a point of pride of not watering but if you want it to germinate, grass seed needs to get wet every day for a week at least, 10-12 days preferably. It doesn't have to soak, you don't need to run the water long, but it needs to get wet every day to really go.

Thanks guys.

Not a point of pride not watering, just not necessary all year and wanted to shut down some of the stupid westerners lawn hate.

I do actually run sprinklers in the spring for a week or two after the seeding.

I've got a lifetime of NE shady lawn maintenance under my belt, so feel pretty solid on seed selection. It's crazy when you look at the ingredients in many of the bags at Lowes or HD.. usually more filler than seed.

On another note, what it this? Our town is in the process of "beautifying downtown" which essentially means burying all the power lines through the half mile of Main St. that constitutes the center of town.

They have been digging and working on infrastructure for months now, and a couple of weeks ago these things showed up.

Clearly they aren't finished product, but wtf are they, and what will they look like when the job is done (in like 2023..)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210906_102932.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	384601