Page 35 of 226 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The kind of manual juice I have cleans easily with a quick swipe with a dish brush, unless you let the pulp dry on the strainer. Like when my wife squeezes limes for margaritas.

I'll squeeze Valencias when I can get them but navels are much more common around here and underrated for OJ. One of the best things about Spain--even the cheapest dive breakfast places squeeze oranges.
    The oranges. Wandering around the south of Spain during orange season was amazing. OMG the oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The oranges. Wandering around the south of Spain during orange season was amazing. OMG the oranges.
    When I was a kid we drove over Tehachipi Pass into the Central Valley. The orange trees were in bloom and it was the most wonderful and overwhelming smell ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My wife retired January 2020 and we were suppose to go to Yurp April 2020. Anyways, fast forward to today and the girl is chomping at the bit to go on vacation ANYWHERE! Canada is out for now, she is talking Maui so what do I suggest do to keep her happy?
    I was holding of on Yurp until spring 2022. Do we just go in September or is there another idea you have? I mean where we live is fucking great and everyone comes here to holiday, but lets go somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    My wife retired January 2020 and we were suppose to go to Yurp April 2020. Anyways, fast forward to today and the girl is chomping at the bit to go on vacation ANYWHERE! Canada is out for now, she is talking Maui so what do I suggest do to keep her happy?
    I was holding of on Yurp until spring 2022. Do we just go in September or is there another idea you have? I mean where we live is fucking great and everyone comes here to holiday, but lets go somewhere else.
    What do you want, or more importantly, does she expect to do on vacation?

I like Maui, so... ?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I mean, if the trip was cause she retired don’t you think she should get to pick? Certainly nothing wrong with Maui. I also understand having to leave a place every once in awhile. Even if it’s generally pretty great. I could never live anywhere without the ability to leave it fairly regularly.

Italy in September...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Italy and France in September...
    Improved.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Italy & France in September...
    Rent a car or take trains? Business class or premium economy to save a few bucks?
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    When I was a kid we drove over Tehachipi Pass into the Central Valley. The orange trees were in bloom and it was the most wonderful and overwhelming smell ever.

Florida on the other hand still smells putrid, even with the oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    New Q: do DSL filters really wear out or fail over time? Google search says they do. Mom's land line has a ton of static, and she's got DSL internet, so am, wondering if filters could be the culprit.
    Doubt the filter is causing the static on the voice side. The filter is designed to protect the data side. So unless she is losing the data connection, I'd suspect these things: Bad wiring- either inside the house or outside going to the central office. Water and rain can cause the same issue if there is a break in the cable that was not spliced and sealed properly (my house would get this regularly on the phone lines after a rain or spring time snow melt.) The line is a buried line from the central office and according to the telco repairmen, years back there was a animal that chewed through the full cable and then the spliced it to cross connect the 2 sections.) Terminals also can get corroded over time. Need to find the Demarc and test the line there with a phone if they do not pay for inside wiring support or the telco will test and if the inside wiring past the Demarc termination is at fault they will bill for the repair.

Easy way to test the filter theory is remove it (or all of them since each jack or device is to have one if the house was not wired with a single central filter on the voice split). Of course the internet will not work properly without the filters, but they can test for 10 minutes without them.
    Last edited by RShea; 06-20-2021 at 05:21 PM.

Rent a car or take trains? Business class or premium economy to save a few bucks?
    Renting a car, as long as you’re not in Paris or Rome etc., gives great flexibility, which is a major value when I tourist travel. I like to be able to change the plan. Big cities, I like walking, Über, and metros.

Business if you got the $$/€€. YOLO and all that. You’re on that plane for what amounts to a full day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I bought a $50 router and wish I spent a little more. Will probably get a better one shortly. I don’t know if they wear out, but tech keeps improving. If hers is more than 5 years old, can’t hurt to upgrade. That said Comcast has come out and put new filters in the outside line a couple times over the three years I’ve been with them. Not really sure what that means. There’s some tech people that respond in the “what phone now” thread that might not read this one.

Edit yeah re-read and see you’re talking land lines. No tech guru here sorry.
    Router is data side only, not much for the voice noise. Again unplug the router or DSL modem and if the noise goes away on voice, then maybe it is contributing. But router usually does nothing like causing noise on the voice and regular telephone line to a plain telephone.

Also forgot to mention to the OP EL Chup- for his parents, cordless telephone and having the noise issue could be related to interference including the wifi or other appliances. If you have only a cordless phone, try a plain wired phone directly into the jack.

Edit also completely agree with the comments of Ski220 in his reply on the issue. The Demarc could be a box outside or even in the house- garage or basement or something depending on the telco company. Sometimes it is a punch block or screw post terminals if 50 years old also and never been upgraded or changed (a bit newer than the wiring I am dealing with as this house was 1967/8... But I know when it is inside wiring by testing as stated, and rarely is.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

"I played in the orange groves, 'til they bulldozed the trees
    I played in the orange groves, 'til they bulldozed down all the trees
    Now I stand out in those dead stumps, and I smell the blossoms on the leaves" "Dry River", Dave Alvin (Downey CA native)

Turn Maui into Kauai, bring a backpack and buy/rent surfboards. Great trip.

So, for anyone who knows anything about rootering a main sewer line:

My main sewer line is old clay pipe and will need to be replaced eventually. I have been told many times that the best way to put that off is to get the main line rootered regularly/yearly, and not to wait for root intrusions to cause a backup. So today was my annual-ish rooter clean of the main line. Because I do this regularly there is usually very little or no roots to be cut. But today's guy said that putting that spinning blade in the pipe is the WORST thing to do to the pipe, and that I am causing damage and shortening the life of the pipe by doing it. Obviously what he's telling me runs counter to his whole business (and his employer may not like him saying that), but it is also the very first time anyone has said that.

Thoughts?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There is some obvious logic to the idea that a spinning metal blade could damage a fragile clay pipe.

My house is early '70s construction and most likely has a cast iron sewer line (in that era clay was still used, cast iron was pretty common, and plastic was fairly new but also relatively common). We had a root clog backup once (all laundry rinse water, thank God) and unfortunately the cleanout is located directly behind the water heater so rootering it is a huge PITA. My solution has been Roebic Foaming Root Killer 3x per year (spring/summer/fall; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roebic-Labo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds) and Roebic Main Line Cleaner 2x per year (spring/fall; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roebic-Labo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds). 13 years since the backup and so far, so good.

Another unthreadworthy question (could ask in one of the rat flu threads but putting here instead).

Going to a wedding in NYS (upstate?) in July. We will be in Burlington VT area before the wedding. Everyone attending must have proof of vax or proof of negative test within 3 days. My daughter isn't vaccinated, obviously, and I've never done any testing anywhere.

Where can I go in the Burlington VT area for rapid testing? And more importantly, I guess, how rapidly do you get the results?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

My main sewer line is old clay pipe and will need to be replaced eventually. I have been told many times that the best way to put that off is to get the main line rootered regularly/yearly, and not to wait for root intrusions to cause a backup. So today was my annual-ish rooter clean of the main line. Because I do this regularly there is usually very little or no roots to be cut. But today's guy said that putting that spinning blade in the pipe is the WORST thing to do to the pipe, and that I am causing damage and shortening the life of the pipe by doing it. Obviously what he's telling me runs counter to his whole business (and his employer may not like him saying that), but it is also the very first time anyone has said that.

Thoughts?
    Have you ever had your line scoped so you know exactly what your dealing with ? The cutting head causing further damaging is a definite possibility depending on the state of your clay pipes. A decent scope viewing will able to show what kind of cracks damage have and give you a better idea of where the rot intrusion is as well as if you're causing more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone?
    My mom had dsl, but it started crapping out because Verizon couldn't maintain the copper network. Verizon gave her a year of FIOS at dsl price.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Renting a car, as long as you’re not in Paris or Rome etc., gives great flexibility, which is a major value when I tourist travel. I like to be able to change the plan. Big cities, I like walking, Über, and metros.

Business if you got the $$/€€. YOLO and all that. You’re on that plane for what amounts to a full day.
    All true everywhere except Switzerland and to some extent Austria where public transport between the trains and "post bus" is amazing.

France and Italy really require a car, I think.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Have you ever had your line scoped so you know exactly what your dealing with ? .
    Danno is just getting to that age.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Thoughts?
    He is full of shit. Like yourself I have old clay pipes. A camera inspection a few years back showed the pipes were in good shape but roots could grow in the joints where they connect. I bought this from Home Depot as I need a 100 foot snake. I use it twice a year. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...6998/202826588
    Best $600 I have spent on keeping the house going.

Another unthreadworthy question (could ask in one of the rat flu threads but putting here instead).

Going to a wedding in NYS (upstate?) in July. We will be in Burlington VT area before the wedding. Everyone attending must have proof of vax or proof of negative test within 3 days. My daughter isn't vaccinated, obviously, and I've never done any testing anywhere.

Where can I go in the Burlington VT area for rapid testing? And more importantly, I guess, how rapidly do you get the results?
    Obviously I don't know VT but here's the state website info: https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-...ere-get-tested

I've done a couple rapid tests recently locally (UCHealth) and have had results back in under 24hr, even though they claim 2-3 days. The most recent one, I got the test around noon and had results that evening.

Random Unthreadworthy Questions

Looks like Walgreens in Burlington and the doc in a box (clear choice urgent care) in South Burlington both do rapid testing. Could change by July as demand is waning with so many vaccinated here.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-...ere-get-tested

Use the find other locations link and punch in 05401. Tried to link to the results page but not successful.