Page 135 of 224 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 5576
    Had Europeans never landed in North/Central/South America would Native Americans/First Peoples/etc. have advanced to civilizations like Europe or would they have maintained their subsistence way of life?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I would like to think things would of stayed pretty much the same for the indigenous peoples of North and South America. There was a movie years ago about an aircraft carrier that gets transported back in time to the pre Pearl Harbor attack. I always daydream how I would of preferred that carrier off the east coast to sink anything coming west. Yurp was good enough for the white man. No need to fuck up everything the way we did.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The book Guns, Germs, and Steel explores that very topic.

^ thx for mentioning that. Sounds interesting. Just downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    The book Guns, Germs, and Steel explores that very topic.
    Over and over and over and at very great length.

Ha, true. In kind of a role reversal. Normally it's the students who pad their word count, not the prof.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    One might argue they were not soliciting but proselytizing. You need to fix your sign.
    Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Lol, potd for anyone who had the fortitude to read that lebkuchen of a tome.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Had Europeans never landed in North/Central/South America would Native Americans/First Peoples/etc. have advanced to civilizations like Europe or would they have maintained their subsistence way of life?
    I'm reminded of Gandhi's response when he was asked his opinion of Western civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm reminded of Gandhi's response when he was asked his opinion of Western civilization.
    Last edited by Danno; 10-04-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Hah, yeah, the second half of the book is rather superfluous unless you really want to get into the weeds of the subject. TL; DR answer to KQ's question is, "Eventually, maybe."

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I would like to think things would of stayed pretty much the same for the indigenous peoples of North and South America.
    If we can be absolutely sure of one thing it's that things would not have stayed pretty much the same.

It's a pretty absurd premise. That European society would have developed technologically, with railroads and electricity and internal combustion and air travel and whatever, yet somehow North America would have stayed at hunter/gatherer and simple agriculture.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    "I think it would be a good idea."

I'm flying Southwest for a work trip, returning tomorrow. My 24 hour check in time happens while I'm in the air. I know that they have internet that provides basic info and entertainment for free, and you have to pay for full Internet. Will I be able to check in on their app without paying for Internet?

Most airplane wifi allows you to get to their site for free. Not sure about SWA.
    . . .

Check in time hit literally right as we were talking off. I broke the rules and just used my cell. Plane didn't crash.

Check in time hit literally right as we were talking off. I broke the rules and just used my cell. Plane didn't crash.
    Borrowed time dude.

I have spent the last 30 or so flights keeping my cell phone on to see when it actually cuts off.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    Lol, potd for anyone who had the fortitude to read that lebkuchen of a tome.
    Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fun fact: the requirement to put your phone in airplane mode is not an FAA rule, but an FCC rule. As the plane goes up, many many more cell towers are in range of all the phones onboard and it can overwhelm cell networks with all of the pings.

So I was away from home for a couple months. Came back, and started finding random things in my garage with mold on them. A few items were shockingly bad. Most affected items had a little mold and seemed to be spread randomly around the garage. One bike had mold on the rear tire (where sealant was seeping though the sidewall) and then pretty bad mold on a handlebar bag, but none visible on a frame bag or other bikes right there. Mold also on a spare moto seat in the pic. Mold on some pieces of clothing in a cabinet but not on other clothing. Seems to be mostly affecting soft goods but obviously there would be spores all over the garage that just couldn't grow as readily on other surfaces. I've disposed of a bunch of stuff, wiped/sprayed down stuff and run affected clothing and soft stuff through the washer. Have read to use bleach on non-permeable surfaces and vinegar on permeable as it's acidity can kill mold down to its roots.

Last thing I want is for mold to get out of hand but I'm not going to be able to wipe/wash everything in the garage, that would take forever. Any suggested course of action beyond cleaning what I can and then just keep an eye on things? I've lived here 8 yrs and never seen mold here before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220916_042933593.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	965.6 KB 
ID:	429549

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220916_042952861.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1,014.5 KB 
ID:	429550

Get a spray bottle of bleach or vinegar and try and soak the mold and then resolve the moisture issue in there is my first guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The new mold issue makes me think that you may have some sort of new moisture issue? I'm not sure where you live but did you have a particularly rainy summer?

Shockwave or microban

Bleach doesn’t keep it from coming back.

There are some foggers if you want to do the whole garage
    . . .

Live near the beach in SD.

Yup I've been spraying bleach and vinegar like crazy. Bleach on non-porous surfaces and vinegar on porous surfaces since it's supposed to be able to penetrate better with the acidity killing the mold's roots.

Fogger might be worth trying, good to know.

Not aware of any new moisture issue and no sign of any leak or other intrusion. As far as I know we only got rain once or twice while I was away, which is typical for summer here. It's possible the marine layer stuck around longer than normal but we often have that for most of May and June already, so I'd think if that was causing the issue mold would have shown up in past years already.

There was a musty smell in the stairwell going down to the garage so I put a DampRid there which filled up with water in about 3 days. Seems to have taken care of the odor there. Will likely get more of those.

I've definitely slacked off on cleaning this year so maybe that is what started the issue. Or could have been a piece of gear that was contaminated introducing mold to the garage, which spread.

Hopefully some thorough cleanup will take care of it. On the bright side this has spurred me to dispose of a lot of stuff that was sitting around not really being used.