Which is the better/right fit? Tail skin coverage

So I am trying to decide which skin to cut for a 181 Salomon QST 99

I have 2 new G3’s to choose from but one is a long (183-199) the other a medium (168-184)

Which fit would you go for?

I’m not looking at weight savings as a consideration otherwise I wouldn’t be mounting a 2065g QST99 and I do get that they are different materials, just curious about fitment and resultant performance.

G3 recommends the shorter fit but the tail rocker on this ski starts right after the shorter fitted skin skin material runs out. So there is a bit of the rubber strap interference between snow and ski and the entire flat section of the tail doesn’t get skin coverage.

I can’t help but think the longer fit will get better grip and glide due to greater contact with and cleaner interface with the snow.

Curious what the collective thinks or knows? Does one fitment outperform the other?

I know the choice would be be so much easier if one was red

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1607579717.879906.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	138.3 KB 
ID:	352189

Go long.

Long. G3's recommendations run notoriously short, especially with the aggressive pintailing. They don't realize this, as all they skin in is Canadian powder.

+3 for long. On firm snow or following a skin track your functional traction is from underfoot through to the tail.

I have gone with the setup on the left before, and I was sliding all over the place on the skin track in the spring. A little extra coverage is good if you aren't counting every little gram of your setup.

Its interesting everyone is calling for long here, after watching that Hoji/4FRNT video of the tourlock/Hoji hole on the new Raven I would have said short.

Video

How much pressure are you actually applying in that extra 6"?

Therefore, I bet you wouldn't notice a substantial difference, but that smaller skin will pack a little smaller while touring.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    How much pressure are you actually applying in that extra 6"?
    Depends on the ski and the rocker profile of the tail. The QST99 doesn't have a huge amount of tail rocker, and you can actually see in the image that the shorter skin is not full width in a cambered section of the ski. That's not good and will probably lead to traction issues. However, a fully rockered ski like the Raven or a ski with more dramatic tail rocker is going to have fewer issues.

OP - go with the longer ones.

when the leash on the left skin breaks by the time you cut away the broken leash to attach the replacment the skin will not be long enough

so you will be facked

The skier known as "Angle Parking Only" brought over a G3 skin to fix and by the time I cut off the remains of the old integral strap and riveted on the new one he was on the last hole of the tail leash

so he was like 1/2 an inch from being facked
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-10-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

On the rocker parts it’s not really there on the snow unless it’s deep but leverage comes from under foot anyways. Pretty smart

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Awesome responses guys, was pretty sure the longer setup was correct, especially with the QSTs minimal tail rocker and the shorter option not covering the full cambered surface.

Also never even considered future repair shorting the skin, thanks for that angle XXX-er

Excited to try the full mohair skin this season, so I’m happy it turned out to be the right fit vs the scala. Only ever owned a full synthetic G3 alpinist which is ok for most things but kinda sucked on the glide.

ya go long, my 8 year old G3's are faaaaar superior to the new alpinist+. The shorter fitment & the stupid ass plastic fishscale thing at the tip are deal breakers

All these chi-chi tip and tail treatments look darling but from some other threads flaoting around tech talk it sounds like some of the designs don't work that well without breaking, this stuff is going to get walked on and abused SO is it up to the task, can you take your skin and use it on another ski or are we going backwards here ?

i put together a powski/touring setup for GF with some 159's, so I cut the tip hooks off one set of my long G3's which allowed me to use a tip loop with the skin folded around it and the normal tail leash

With an old school tip loop a long G3 skin fits a 159 liberty genisis or a 120 lotus
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-11-2020 at 01:25 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Both of those options look shit. Buy something else that splits the difference.

Piggybacking on this thread which is sorta related... Question: Is ~7mm edge-to-skin gap per side just too much? Note that this would be on a 120 wide ski for soft snow meadow skipping only. (I have something else for non-soft and/or steep.) I've always been full wall-to-wall but have some old existing skins I could re-purpose for these vs dropping $200 on a new pair. Thoughts? Thx

It'll be fine. Until it isn't...

But seriously, it'll (probably) be totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread which is sorta related... Question: Is ~7mm edge-to-skin gap per side just too much? Note that this would be on a 120 wide ski for soft snow meadow skipping only. (I have something else for non-soft and/or steep.) I've always been full wall-to-wall but have some old existing skins I could re-purpose for these vs dropping $200 on a new pair. Thoughts? Thx
    Fine as long as you're not on shitfucked icey sidehill skin tracks.

Also somewhat depends on the skins. Thicker, grippier nylon skins will be better than thin mohair ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    You essentially won't be able to sidehill pretty much at all if the skintrack is even a little bit firm but if it's really going to be for soft snow meadow skipping only, you can probably get away with it.

^^^ Yes, good till lured onto some shitty slope! And yes, nylon so that helps.
    Sounds close enough to give em a try. These are pow skis I'm adding touring binding inserts to, so they can pull double duty
    Thx both