Anyone skied the new Volkl Blaze 106?

Looking for a 50/50 setup, demoed the Atomic Bent Chelter 100 last season and really liked how they skied, easy to pivot and playful, just a bit chattery on roughed up groomers. Looking for something that skis similar but a tad more stable for variable conditions. Anyone with experience on the new Blaze 106? Better if you have skied both and can provide some comparison. Thanks.

Just aimlessly browsing, seems like the blaze 106, tracer 108 and sickday 104 would be good comparisons, for the 1700-1900g 50/50, or slightly heavy touring skis.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Have you skied them all. I actually demoed the sick day 104 last season and felt it was boring, no pop feel and not playful.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodledude View Post
    Have you skied them all. I actually demoed the sick day 104 last season and felt it was boring, no pop feel and not playful.
    Nah haven't skied any of them, just thought they were sort of the obvious comparisons, I just bought a wayback 106 (very light for width), and a second set of my favorite alpine skis (automatic 109) (heavy, borderline tourable, but not CRAZY heavy), if the wayback doesn't work out though, i might consider one of the above before biting bullet and mounting the autos with light tech binders i have/
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

The Blaze 106 isn't any less chattery than a bentchetler 100.

I haven't skied the Blaze or BC 100, but the 18/19 QST 106 skis above its weight class. Weighs 19~~g in a 181. New version is heavier.

People I know who have skied the old version of the Ripstick 106 like them. New Version looks pretty damn similar.

Ripstick 106 is pretty awesome. the black version solves all the stability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The Blaze 106 isn't any less chattery than a bentchetler 100.
    I guess Blaze could be a tad more stable and precise with the metal under feet, otherwise similar. I have demoed both Bent Chetler 100 and Line Sick Day 104, love the playfulness of bent chetler while sick day felt dull, not sure why.

Have you skied both the ripstick and blaze? How would they compare to bent chetler in general character?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Ripstick 106 is pretty awesome. the black version solves all the stability issues.
    Interesting. I know the black version has more carbon and is stiffer as a result, but hadn’t read anything about dampness / stability improvement. But 188 is longest version I think, so too short for me for resort skiing.

I’m open to considering anything that might make big mountain powder, steeps, and tight trees skiing more effortless. Other than the lowish tip, these seem a contender, and I’d love to give them a try. The online reviews seem focused on lauding their versatility for upper intermediates, and are of no help.

The blaze is a very pleasant ski. Really predictable, nice turn shape, soft, light. Serious speed limit that makes it feel like it just buckled in half. Great touring ski.

Following this. I'm looking for a mid 80s to mid 90s touring ski and the Blaze 94 seems like a contender. It's not super light, but it shouldn't limit my range too much....speed maybe....

I really like the 3D radius on my Mantra 102s. Maybe the Blaze is similar. I'm hoping the Blaze would be more damp than most pure touring options, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rogers View Post
    Following this. I'm looking for a mid 80s to mid 90s touring ski.
    Just get the ZeroG 95..

Völkl's BMT90s are killer skis - one of my favorites in fact. They ski amazingly well for their weight and are very easy to dictate turn shape on. A bit spendy perhaps, but they are usually on sale somewhere for that very reason.

BMTs have been around for quite some time now, but they do not always get the credit they deserve imho - they are great skis. I wonder if Völkl will discontinue or replace them for 2022. If so then I might have to get a few spare pairs during the late season sale

BMT94s seem to be a bit of a unicorn ski, but they seem hard to find - even used.

I am not super if the 3d radii thingy makes that much difference in softer snow, though my time on Mantra102 - my only pair that has it - is limited to a day or resort charging.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    ... . Serious speed limit that makes it feel like it just buckled in half.. ..
    hehe, that is quite the description

I've got about 5 days now on BMT 94s and they are TOTAL unicorns. So much goddamn fun. They pivot and slash like none other, with plenty of pop exiting turns. I'm surprised just how capable they are on hard pack too, they really hold an edge well.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I've got about 5 days now on BMT 94s and they are TOTAL unicorns. So much goddamn fun. They pivot and slash like none other, with plenty of pop exiting turns. I'm surprised just how capable they are on hard pack too, they really hold an edge well.
    ditto on BMT109s and hardpack. They too are surprisingly strong on groomers / hard pack as long as you keep them on edge.

Funny, just finished a morning on them. Boot deep freshies to groomers. I never liked the predecessor 110Eight in anything but fresh untracked so was not expecting much. Total surprise in that it did everything well. Predictable everywhere I didn't find the speed limit mentioned above but I tried. Maybe not as much "fun" as the Dynastar M-108 but a better choice for touring due to profile.

me 5'9"ish 165lbs like gs type skis and turns live in fernie
    ski most days
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    If so then I might have to get a few spare pairs during the late season sale

BMT94s seem to be a bit of a unicorn ski, but they seem hard to find - even used.
    They are available at Volkl, REI, Backcountry, and skiessentials. Might have to try some.

BMT 94 is a completely different ski than the BMT 90 (which is the one available). Former is fully rockered, the latter isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Funny, just finished a morning on them. Boot deep freshies to groomers. I never liked the predecessor 110Eight in anything but fresh untracked so was not expecting much. Total surprise in that it did everything well. Predictable everywhere I didn't find the speed limit mentioned above but I tried. Maybe not as much "fun" as the Dynastar M-108 but a better choice for touring due to profile.

me 5'9"ish 165lbs like gs type skis and turns live in fernie
    ski most days
    Nice, have you also skied Bent Chetler 100 or Ripstick 106? Can you provide some inputs? Thanks.
    Last edited by Doodledude; 01-11-2021 at 08:06 AM.