Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shout out to Joel Gratz and OpenSnow.com

and not just for bringing the good news today. Joel, I feel like you are a such great maggot story, very shiny!

Thanks for bringing the stoke year after year, your science is so freaking cool. I knew you were a breakout success when I heard other instructors at Breck talking about your forecasts, like de facto.

Gah, maybe I should level up, but the free stuff has been quite adequate. :P

Virtual snow party?
    https://cmc.org/Calendar/EventDetails.aspx?ID=51176
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Yeah that's a good outfit. Brian A out of Tahoe is excellent. I finally joined for full access this year, $25 or so.

https://www.opensnow.com/about/tahoeinfo

The Open Snow bushiness model is solely responsible for the mass herd clusterfuck that we see today.

I can check the weather on my own thank you very much.

^^^^ while there might be a shred of truth here (and I mean that somewhat jokingly), I do owe some amazing sneaker powder days to them. Maybe not so much from their forecasting ability (at least lately) but definitely from the weather education that they've provided over the years. Now I can look at the models and between reading OpenSnow, the forecaster comments in the National Weather Service forecasts, and other tools that will remain nameless, I can make my own "predictions" (and I used that word in the loosest sense of the word).
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

I miss the days of "local on the 8's".

I get waxing nostalgic about the days before information was widely and readily accessible, but it ain't stoppin' so better embrace it. Skiers have some holier than thou complex I will never understand. It's fucking snow.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I get waxing nostalgic about the days before information was widely and readily accessible, but it ain't stoppin' so better embrace it. Skiers have some holier than thou complex I will never understand. It's fucking snow.
    The last person in wants to build the biggest fence. It's never more true than with skiers in ski towns.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    It's fucking snow.
    Sounds like you almost get it! Fresh turns are a limited resource...

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Sounds like you almost get it! Fresh turns are a limited resource...
    I think you mean...lift served fresh turns are a limited resource.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

They wrote a good program to pull noaa data then hired ski bums to give daily forecasts. Yes the data is out there already but they consolidate it and I use it a lot. Love the hourly and wind forecasts as well. Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

makers pretty much nailed it. when BA the tahoe guy says...this is the day to play hooky.....way too many people follow his advice. storm skiing at resorts is the way to go these days and tour on bluebird. when they say "todays the day".....stay away

For Colorado, I prefer the writing & forecasting style from Highpoint Weather. https://www.highpointwx.com/forecast

Plus, mobile friendly no matter the phone, no ads, no paywall, no handholding and no 'fluff'.

I wouldn't say they are the sole reason but they definitely play a BIG role in turning mid-week inbound pow days into clusterfucks given how big their email database is. Inbounds skiing in CO (out of the Denver metro) has sucked for some time now, Gratz is another factor in traffic and pow getting tracked out so quickly these days. I don't subscribe but years ago I did back before it was mainstream and at least at that point I always though CAIC was more accurate.

Good for him for seeing an oppurtunity and figuring out a way to make a buck, but...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I lament the days when the first thing I did when taking my shit after my first log was to hit the CAIC phone message on my flip phone and ponder my day.

Off my grass filled slopes.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I lament the days when the first thing I did when taking my shit after my first log was to hit the CAIC phone message on my flip phone
    Laughing because I remember doing that too.

Skiers today
    Skiers today
    They don't even read POWDER
    You know
    It's just, is this place powdery?
    Can I ski with a mask on?
    Burf
    You know what I want a mask on for, a pleasant smell
    Instead it's all about what mid-layer fleece
    And Joel @ Opensnow this, Joel at Opensnow that
    More like NOEL NINO

Skiers today
    Skiers today
    They don't even read POWDER
    You know
    It's just, is this place powdery?
    Can I ski with a mask on?
    Burf
    You know what I want a mask on for, a pleasant smell
    Instead it's all about what mid-layer fleece
    And Joel @ Opensnow this, Joel at Opensnow that
    More like NOEL NINO
    You seem like a dental dam kinda guy. I don't think we would get along. Just sayin'.
    Preach on brother.

Dude, it's a play on Drunk Uncle SNL.

Dude, it's a play on Drunk Uncle SNL.
    I've never owned a TV and it's been since the 90's since I've seen an episode. Sorry I missed the reference.

Maybe that's why my sister refuses to let her kids hang out with me when I say I'll teach'em in camp colorado?

You are the drunk uncle in a way. I am one myself, minus the racist shit from the skit.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The Open Snow bushiness model is solely responsible for the mass herd clusterfuck that we see today.

I can check the weather on my own thank you very much.
    Solely responsible? I thought it was because of fat skis and cheap passes?

I do wonder how this season will play out.

Ha! Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    For Colorado, I prefer the writing & forecasting style from Highpoint Weather. https://www.highpointwx.com/forecast

Plus, mobile friendly no matter the phone, no ads, no paywall, no handholding and no 'fluff'.
    I will check it out, thanks!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

some guy said to me a couple weeks ago all matter of fact joel said....................... ! I was like what the fuck? and tried not to laugh I just agreeed with him was all shocked that people take his word as the word of god

weather is pretty easy it's either going to snow or not snow its going to snow alot or alittle if the clouds are touching the mountains its going to snow if they aren't then it's not what more do you need to know?

guy created a great business got to hand it too him for that
    and what about the snow phone used to call that all the time those were the days remember waking up seeing that a foot and half to two feet of snow fell got all dressed ran from the trailer to the the bus stop all excited another guy was there and I started talking about the snow and he said "did you call the snow phone?" I was like no, he tells me that farmers korner got all the snow for some reason but town and the mountain didn't get anything

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    some guy said to me a couple weeks ago all matter of fact joel said....................... ! I was like what the fuck? and tried not to laugh I just agreeed with him was all shocked that people take his word as the word of god

weather is pretty easy it's either going to snow or not snow its going to snow alot or alittle if the clouds are touching the mountains its going to snow if they aren't then it's not what more do you need to know?

guy created a great business got to hand it too him for that
    and what about the snow phone used to call that all the time those were the days remember waking up seeing that a foot and half to two feet of snow fell got all dressed ran from the trailer to the the bus stop all excited another guy was there and I started talking about the snow and he said "did you call the snow phone?" I was like no, he tells me that farmers korner got all the snow for some reason but town and the mountain didn't get anything
    A quick stroll through any outdoors group on facebook tells the tale pretty quickly, people are fucking idiots.

Reading a weather report that isn’t dumbed down for the lowest common denominator is like reading a topo map. It would seem most people these days either don’t have the wherewithal or the desire to learn.

NOAA has every tool available to figure it out yourself without paying for a subscription..

The real bad guy is Powderchaser Steve, runner up would be the Powder Buoy dude. We don’t want skiers or riders knowing it’s going to snow

/sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    A quick stroll through any outdoors group on facebook tells the tale pretty quickly, people are fucking idiots.

never been on facebook from what I hear it's a dumpster fire of humanity how did people figure the world out or pretend to live a meaningful life before facebook?