Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I still enjoy the process of sitting down with a beer and going through my bookmarked pages of weather tools. Deciding when and what areas will be favored, winds, humidity, pressure, etc. You learn so much more about when and where to ski than with a curated snow report. But I don't hate them, let the masses decide where to go based solely on totals, that doesn't always coincide with ski quality.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    NOAA has every tool available to figure it out yourself without paying for a subscription..
    Yep, just read the Forecast Discussion and you're all set. They do it without all the BS and ads, too.

You guys saying Joel is exploiting this for money - dude started an email blast and it grew in popularity. What it has grown into was never his intention from the outset. At least I've never gotten that impression in my interactions with him. Super nice guy and valuable resource to the community. Do people want it spoon-fed to them? You betcha.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Following this logic, who do we blame for the explosion in backcountry skiing and the crowded trailheads? Do we blame the CAIC for pushing their content and knowledge out to more and more people across multiple platforms? For making it more available and understandable for the masses? Probably leads everybody to start thinking, 'hey, maybe I can get into this backcountry skiing thing too?'

I don't think that's the case... It's probably a combination of the advancements in equipment making it easier for everybody to ski powder/tour, the incredible growth in the Front Range population, and people having more money and work flexibility than ever before.

Just like with the backcountry/avalanche information, it was always out there if you wanted to look for it. The means of disseminating it and the delivery medium probably are way down on the list of potential causes for these (sometimes unwelcome) changes.
    go upside down.

no need to go to opensnow for the forecast anymore what with everyone parroting it on the chairlifts, at the post office, grocery store, etc. i've lived in a ski town for over 30 years and sure the days of catching that awesome sleeper day are long gone but i wouldn't blame the forecasting any more than advances in equipment, snowboarding growing in popularity, cheap season passes that work at multiple resorts, vanlife, airbnb, i could go on and on. the world has changed and in a lot of ways not for the better. just got to roll with it i guess.

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I blame pow cams & social media...the rubes see a big dump on Thursday and show up on Friday & Saturday still thinking they are gonna get the 'gram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I blame pow cams & social media...the rubes see a big dump on Thursday and show up on Friday & Saturday still thinking they are gonna get the 'gram.
    Usually followed by "save for meeee1!!" in the comments on your favorite resort's social media post. I never understood that one...

As mentioned, OpenSnow is just one facet of this... whatever this is. Snow-Forecast.com now does the same. The proliferation of avalanche reporting, and by extension, weather reporting hastened this. As did social media reaching all things. And of course, more people. So many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    So pretty!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Lots of complaints from the people living next to the resort. But as someone who doesn't live right there, and doesn't have the time or energy to become my own personal meteorologist, the advent of resort forecasts and snow stake cams are great. Yes, it kills the sleeper day, and it pisses off the locals who want all the sweet pow days to themselves, but I'm not going to complain about things that have allowed me to ski more powder.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by shera View Post
    Solely responsible? I thought it was because of fat skis [snip]?
    Wait, this means we can blame this (partly) on snowboarders! I'm going with that.

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    Wait, this means we can blame this (partly) on snowboarders! I'm going with that.

cheers,
    john
    Well, I mean, they do slide all the pow off the slope, so...

It all started with a Vail Firefighter going on The Bachelorette.

Bad skiers and riders descend sideways. Skilled ones point it.

$20 annually for a daily email summary and customized cams + forecasts for the mountains I care about? Great value and an easy charge. Only critique is that they seem to stay pretty conservative on snow estimates, even when all the meteorological stars align. If it's going to nuke, tell me, so I call every Tom, Dick and Harry and tell 'em to get out the big decks Overall, OS, Powderchasers, CAIC and NOAA provide you all the information you need to chase effectively.

Only thing missing these days is the Barlometer.

Yes. There are definitely no more sleeper pow days anymore. For sure. The forecasters always nail it.

I'm finding it unbelievable how many people are bashing Joel for ruining POW days. Don't blame him, blame the EPIC and IKON and INDY passes (that no doubt most of you probably OWN). That's what's bringing the crowds to the resorts on a powder day.

And those of you that are sitting there saying that anyone can do it, just read a weather report? You obviously have never read any of his reports or been apart of any of his talks. There are very few meteorologist anywhere that understand winter weather and the mountains like he does. Its not just about reading weather reports, its interpreting that data and applying your knowledge to predict whats going to happen and where.

There are a shit ton of weather sites out there, very very few can do what his does. We should all be thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Bad riders descend sideways. Skiers point it.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    blah blah joel blah.... You obviously have never read any of his reports or been apart of any of his talks. There are very few meteorologist anywhere that understand winter weather and the mountains like he does. Its not just about reading weather reports, its interpreting that data and applying your knowledge to predict whats going to happen and where.

There are a shit ton of weather sites out there, very very few can do what his does. We should all be thankful.
    Just an FYI for ya jong, Joel posted here way before his website took off. Roots.

Well I've been drinking green tea all god damn day and these weather men are gonna bring the demons outta me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I saw Joel talk at a free event at Angry James Brewing last year. He seemed like a genuinely cool guy; sense of humor, enthusiastic yet irreverent about the weather, and he brought the stoke. Loved how he talked, and I'm happy to root for him.

[QUOTE=MakersTeleMark;6161590]I lament the days when the first thing I did when taking my shit after my first log was to hit the CAIC phone message on my flip phone and ponder my day.

Off my grass filled slopes.[/QUOTE
    The mellifluous tones of Knox Williams is what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Lots of complaints from the people living next to the resort. But as someone who doesn't live right there, and doesn't have the time or energy to become my own personal meteorologist, the advent of resort forecasts and snow stake cams are great. Yes, it kills the sleeper day, and it pisses off the locals who want all the sweet pow days to themselves, but I'm not going to complain about things that have allowed me to ski more powder.
    You can have Eldora, if you reserved your parking spot.

Quote Originally Posted by snorkelinthepow1 View Post
    I'm finding it unbelievable how many people are bashing Joel for ruining POW days. Don't blame him, blame the EPIC and IKON and INDY passes (that no doubt most of you probably OWN). That's what's bringing the crowds to the resorts on a powder day.

And those of you that are sitting there saying that anyone can do it, just read a weather report? You obviously have never read any of his reports or been apart of any of his talks. There are very few meteorologist anywhere that understand winter weather and the mountains like he does. Its not just about reading weather reports, its interpreting that data and applying your knowledge to predict whats going to happen and where.

Suck my dick JONG. You are clueless. Where Joel says, 1 million people go. And who do you think pays his bills? First it was Vail, now it is Icon. I love it when he is wrong, because I've got a decade of experience ahead of him and I don't need to ski when I need to ski now.

His misses are my greatest highlights, because all I have to do is stay up a little late, open the door, and get out in the morning.

[QUOTE=soylent green;6162898]
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I lament the days when the first thing I did when taking my shit after my first log was to hit the CAIC phone message on my flip phone and ponder my day.

Off my grass filled slopes.[/QUOTE
    The mellifluous tones of Knox Williams is what I remember.
    I miss Knox, and always wondered how he was able to retire on that salary. It was so good to see him come out of the woodwork on this tunnel case. He didn't hold back words. Maybe hacksaw can elaborate on the fiscal feasibility. Maybe there was a blower inside ring.

Avilluminate.

Shout out to Joel Gratz and OpenSnow.com

I actually thought there would be a lot more vitriol towards open snow when I entered this thread. I expected more hate. Good for those of you who like to sit down and research your weather and are better forecasters than open snow.
    Last edited by wolfelot; 12-11-2020 at 08:31 AM.